Quantcast

New Freecaster DH series

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
There are some rumours that the second round will be at Leogang.
That totally sucks. 3 big races in Leogang in one year? The track isn't really that good (rode it ) and other Austrian venues would benefit from some exposure.

Wouldn't Schladming be eligible? The big event they were preparing for is this winter if I'm right so it would be theoretically possible for them to host a dh event.

klamsi

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
That totally sucks. 3 big races in Leogang in one year? The track isn't really that good (rode it ) and other Austrian venues would benefit from some exposure.

Wouldn't Schladming be eligible? The big event they were preparing for is this winter if I'm right so it would be theoretically possible for them to host a dh event.
Sking world champs are 2013. Till then Schladming will be a huge building lot.
Not sure if they are ready for an international race yet.

But i´m still hoping for Schladming instead of Leogang!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Sking world champs are 2013. Till then Schladming will be a huge building lot.
Not sure if they are ready for an international race yet.

But i´m still hoping for Schladming instead of Leogang!
Are there any other WC worthy dh spots in Austria? Semmering is a smaller hill. Wagrain?

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Since DH1 is not bound to conform to UCI WC guidelines, it would be cool if they were able to change the format a bit. Super long races like Kaprun, or super fast races like the Kamikaze.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Since DH1 is not bound to conform to UCI WC guidelines, it would be cool if they were able to change the format a bit. Super long races like Kaprun, or super fast races like the Kamikaze.
Kamikaze was not really good for the spectators not safe. Long races would also produce strange results. Imho we should all agree on one dh format and keep strange races to other events.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Kamikaze was not really good for the spectators not safe. Long races would also produce strange results. Imho we should all agree on one dh format and keep strange races to other events.
All wrong. Kamikaze was just as safe, if not safer, as any current DH race. It was great for spectators.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco

Plenty of space for spectating. They should just throw some big moto kickers in it for a more exciting race to watch, maybe a few wall rides in the turns. Could be pretty cool actually.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
You misunderstood me. Im not saying there is no place for spectating but it is just guys going down a fireroad. At least for me dh is about riding hard technical terrain fast, not anything fast. You can have fast courses that are much more interesting. MSA and some sections in Schladming are great examples of that.

As for safety - higher speeds = more dangerous crashes. Kamikaze = higher speeds. Pros wont go safe speed there and there would be crashes. I remember in the old days there were some gnarly lookings bails.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
just guys going down a fireroad...
It's not a fireroad, it's an 8" wide patch of dirt in the middle of a fireroad. If you get off line you are in big trouble.
To be fair though, the last few years preceding the Bullet track at Mammoth some faces made the top of the podium, like Jeremy Purdy in 1997 that were usually farther back. He trained hard and prepared well(and the center of gravity in dh racing had already started moving to Europe). If you look at the margin and you look at the riders and you realize that he's from down the hill in Reno things start to make sense. Preparation and tactics is really important. Purdy prepared better(and had a sweet lockout on his shock!) and he smoked a few people that weren't expecting to get smoked.

Yes, I do have the full results from Mammoth '97 if someone needs them.

There are a few people in their late 30's and 40's that could smack down a few World Cup pros on that track. They know every corner, every braking point and how the pumice crumbles over the day.

From 1982 to ~1996 it was the biggest, richest and most prestigious race in the world. It wasn't easy then and it still isn't easy now. We need to respect and enshrine it as the beginning of DH racing outside of Ensenada and Marin. The first lift-accessed race, the first race with TV coverage, the first race with specific technology, the first NCS race won on a full-suspension bike- Kamikazee became a brand unto itself and the images produced there defined mtb racing in the minds of people all over the globe. Some people say that it wasn't a pretty image, but it was an image that sold potato chips, expensive Italian jeans, bottled water and personal stereos.

Mammoth, Mt. Snow, Big Bear, Mt. St. Anne, these are monumental places in the history of mountainbike racing. Look upon them with great reverence and forgive them for their perceived trespasses- blame the management.
If you walk straight up the hill and into the woods at any of those places you'll feel the history of our sport. There are chainring marks on logs and the faintly visibly trail beds from 25 year old tracks. You'll see the trees healing up from 15 year old handlebar scars. I still find Grundig course tape when i'm hiking the woods at Mt. Snow 16 years later. All the stories we tell happened somewhere. If you've been around for a while you'll see a rock or root in the middle of what's now ferny woods and you'll have the realization that it spun out your rear wheel during the first Bush administration. The mountains are still there and if you look around hard enough you can find the traces of really cool **** that happened a long time ago that most people don't care about. You can't ride the tracks though.
You can visit the Kamikkazee dozens of days a year, adjust your goggles and drop into that famous first sweeper.
That's special.

Yes-
It would be stoopid to hold a DH1 race on it. It would be awesome to have somebody else put up a hefty purse and allow open entry and see what happens... They did it at the last two National races they had at Mammoth without much promotion or a prizelist and I seem to remember people like Tomac and Bailey and Vories getting off the couch to coast down the track to destroy quite a few well respected full-time pros. With the technology and scinence we have available today some pretty impressive average speeds could be reached if aerodynamic drag could be kept in check.

If I recall the record winning speed was 57mph for a long time. 57mph is badass in 2011 just like it was in 2001 and 1991. It's a whole different sport up there, one that's been hiatus. The mountain will always be there, bothering me in the back of the scull every time I think about it...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Suspect,

You have a lot of passion for the sport and a gift for writing. just reading your "op-ed" made me nostalgic for a race I never really knew (even though I started being "into" mountain biking in the early 90's)...

thanks for that.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm going to ride Kamakazie one day. I remember vividly, this was a great DH to watch back in the day... used to be broadcast on ESPN2 as well.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It's not a fireroad, it's an 8" wide patch of dirt in the middle of a fireroad. If you get off line you are in big trouble.
To be fair though, the last few years preceding the Bullet track at Mammoth some faces made the top of the podium, like Jeremy Purdy in 1997 that were usually farther back. He trained hard and prepared well(and the center of gravity in dh racing had already started moving to Europe). If you look at the margin and you look at the riders and you realize that he's from down the hill in Reno things start to make sense. Preparation and tactics is really important. Purdy prepared better(and had a sweet lockout on his shock!) and he smoked a few people that weren't expecting to get smoked.

There are a few people in their late 30's and 40's that could smack down a few World Cup pros on that track. They know every corner, every braking point and how the pumice crumbles over the day.

From 1982 to ~1996 it was the biggest, richest and most prestigious race in the world. It wasn't easy then and it still isn't easy now. We need to respect and enshrine it as the beginning of DH racing outside of Ensenada and Marin. The first lift-accessed race, the first race with TV coverage, the first race with specific technology, the first NCS race won on a full-suspension bike- Kamikazee became a brand unto itself and the images produced there defined mtb racing in the minds of people all over the globe. Some people say that it wasn't a pretty image, but it was an image that sold potato chips, expensive Italian jeans, bottled water and personal stereos.

Mammoth, Mt. Snow, Big Bear, Mt. St. Anne, these are monumental places in the history of mountainbike racing. Look upon them with great reverence and forgive them for their perceived trespasses- blame the management.
If you walk straight up the hill and into the woods at any of those places you'll feel the history of our sport. There are chainring marks on logs and the faintly visibly trail beds from 25 year old tracks. You'll see the trees healing up from 15 year old handlebar scars. I still find Grundig course tape when i'm hiking the woods at Mt. Snow 16 years later. All the stories we tell happened somewhere. If you've been around for a while you'll see a rock or root in the middle of what's now ferny woods and you'll have the realization that it spun out your rear wheel during the first Bush administration. The mountains are still there and if you look around hard enough you can find the traces of really cool **** that happened a long time ago that most people don't care about. You can't ride the tracks though.
You can visit the Kamikkazee dozens of days a year, adjust your goggles and drop into that famous first sweeper.
That's special.

Yes-
It would be stoopid to hold a DH1 race on it. It would be awesome to have somebody else put up a hefty purse and allow open entry and see what happens... They did it at the last two National races they had at Mammoth without much promotion or a prizelist and I seem to remember people like Tomac and Bailey and Vories getting off the couch to coast down the track to destroy quite a few well respected full-time pros. With the technology and scinence we have available today some pretty impressive average speeds could be reached if aerodynamic drag could be kept in check.

If I recall the record winning speed was 57mph for a long time. 57mph is badass in 2011 just like it was in 2001 and 1991. It's a whole different sport up there, one that's been hiatus. The mountain will always be there, bothering me in the back of the scull every time I think about it...

I get it and in no way I wanted to disrespect the race. I'm a fan. I also remember that it was not a strait up fireroad but still not a typical modern type dh race.

Having an alternative dh race there outside of any regular dh cups would be great. Hell even making a wacky dh cup with strange races like this, psychosis etc would also be nice. Though I doubt it would attract the pros it could grow like the mega series did in yurp.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Having an alternative dh race there outside of any regular dh cups would be great.
That's my point, DH1 isn't the World Cup, so they can break the mold if they want to. Do we really need to see two races at the same tracks? (Of course, maybe we'll only see the DH1 race if Freecaster isn't covering the WCs).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That's my point, DH1 isn't the World Cup, so they can break the mold if they want to. Do we really need to see two races at the same tracks? (Of course, maybe we'll only see the DH1 race if Freecaster isn't covering the WCs).
But the point of it is to create an alternative to the world cup and maybe overtake the world cup. They aim at inviting top pros. They seem quite settled on how it will look like.

Also kooky racers will probably make it harder to attract sponsors.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster

That's special.

Yes-

I just think it was cool Miles Davis raced!