Quantcast

New Gamut supa-light guide P30

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Pinkbike posted up a story on the P30 guide. Coming in at 222 grams and sporting some "new technology" in the design department.

I don't know if any of it works, but it does look nice on the page.

Link to Pink

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i've been running a gamut guide for a while now. my biggest beef with it was that i lost the retention nut on the back of one of the bolts and the thing came loose at whistler. i went to a shop to get it fixed and it turned out the bolt and nut were imperial and not metric. i had to go to three shops to find anyone with an imperial allen key. i did find one and ended up using a wad of loc-tite to keep things together (still holding strong).

imperial suxorz - STOP IT!!! metric kplzthxbai.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
gamut is so on the ball, its almost silly. They sent one for review, and as i write it, i sound like a gushing fanboy. Great product for sure.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I love their stuff. Have a P20 on one bike, and a P40 on another.

If they made road bike bashguards, I'd have one on my other bike.

Hahaha...

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
I know the top bolts are metric (#6 and #4 allen). I'm not sure about the bottom one on the roller, because I just spin it with my fingers until it's close to the boomerang, and then lock down the jam nut. After I set it once, I never move it and haven't needed to put a wrench on it. I'll ask him later today.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Beavs how is the newer bash stronger than the old ones? How long ago did they start shipping the better ones?

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
The new bash is definitely different than the older ones. The inside areas are relieved of some material rather than the constant thickness of the old ones. Lighter and stronger? wow, that usually means more $$ but not in this case.

I think my P30 actually came in a few grams lighter that advertised, but my scale may be a we bit off in the lower range.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
The new bashguard doesn't crack around the bolt holes and can take front impacts from rocks and such just as well, if not better, than the previous design. The new bashguards aren't machined, so it's easy to do more complex shapes without raising the cost like you would with machining steps. I'm not sure when these new ones start shipping, probably very soon if not already. They wouldn't post a press release if they weren't ready to deliver it to the public. A lot of us have been riding them for a long time and they work KILLER. If anyone wants to see one in person and is at Sea Otter next week, find me during DH practice or roaming around on my carbon Enduro SL and I'll give you a look see.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Yep Been running Gamut away from the start.
What a guide they guys produce.
Top Banana.

aaarrrggghhh, i have a Gamut sitting on my wall in my garage but a like 1995 DH Systems guide sitting on my Rotec! only thing is that i need 4 bolt cranks... and my cranks wont accept a bashguard, 5 bolt or not...
ugh, DHing on no money SUCKS!!!

the new on looks rad though!!! 222g's?!?!?! holy shartknockers batman! thats awesome!

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I've seen the old style bash guards explode on contact with rocks a few times. Hopefully the new bashes really are stronger.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I've seen the old style bash guards explode on contact with rocks a few times. Hopefully the new bashes really are stronger.
I've beat the snot out of my old P40 bashguard with a 13.75" bb and complete lack of finesse for over a year. It held up just fine and it's been well used and abused.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I've beat the snot out of my old P40 bashguard with a 13.75" bb and complete lack of finesse for over a year. It held up just fine and it's been well used and abused.
Cool, I'm not saying you, or anyone else hasn't been... well, except the few I've seen explode.
But I'm sure it could happen to any bash, I've just only seen it happen to Gammuts.
I've also seen some of my friends run the same Gammut bash for over a year.

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
I had a gamut P30 like 9 months ago, but had to return it because the lbs guy didn't tell me it was made for big rings only. It was definitely lighter, I think it has something to do with the bolts being made of a different material or different design.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Maybe I'm not keeping up with the times, but since when did we go away from ISGS and back to BB mounts? Are we back where we started?
I don't understand that either. I have never had any problems with the tabs or seen people with problems even less stress problems as mentioned in the press released.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
You can get it with either way, bb mount or iscg.

The backplate isn't that thin, about 4mm, but it will bend if you smoke it will a rock. I find most of the times that I hit the bash, the roller is tucked up out of the way and doesn't get hit. Unfortunately if you hit a pointed rock that finds it's way between the bash and the rear tire you might tweak it (as my buddy found out today)

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
has anyone gotten the new bash yet? I've seen yours curtis, but want to order one when they come with the new bash.

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
I think what they are refering to when they talk about damaging the ISCG mounts is when you have the bash plate mounted to the chain guide not the cranks (LG1 with taco...) because I have the new price list and P30 is available in flange, iscg and iscg 05.
I am one of the French distributors for Gamut and we haven't had a single one come back so far. A really nice little product!

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
I have one on too. Its bloody awesome. From memory the bashie was 25g lighter than the old model (in p30). It feels much more flexible and crazy light. Will be interesting to see what knocks it can take, but I'm confident its a far Superior product to the older models as the level of engineering has really stepped up. These are some sort of injection mold, where the others were a cnc piece. Hopefully this might even mean a drop in pricing once the molds have been paid for, as it would cost a bunch less to make each unit.

what are those xtrs going on?