New Giant XC FS - NRS Replacement?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by spincrazy
Now that's a sharply angled seat tube!

Anyone now how much travel it gets?
Looks nearly as bad as the first generation foes FXC (or maybe about even with the current one?). I have no idea about the travel - anyhow we all know DW's XC bike dominates all with 127mm.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
This overpriced marketing gimmick from Turner/Klein has a similar steep seat angle:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
They all look like a bitch to fit. Imagine centering your knee over the pedals correctly. Perhaps it's just the pics, but the cockpits look waaay stretched out. Maybe they know something. I'd like to ride one ( the Giant ).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
What do the Giant people at Ridemonkey have to say about this bike. Is it a NRS replacement or a trail bike between the NRS and AC series? Any of you guys ride it yet?

K

kitchenware

Originally posted by syadasti
This overpriced marketing gimmick from Turner/Klein has a similar steep seat angle:
Nail/head... you hit it.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by syadasti
the steep seat angle works realllllllly well. its not that hard to get the bike fited properly for it trust me. i've been riding steep seat angled bikes for years now. it works espically well for ppl w/ longer legs.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well this is not a NRS replacement. its just another bike they're adding to their collection.
its called the VT. i has about 5" rear and is half way between the NRS and the ACs. they'll be having 2 models of it and looks pretty cool. also i would have to say rides really weird. like a squishy Maverick...

oh yea, its not a NRS shock. its made by Manitou, using the same idea/internals as the 5th element. just giant bought the rights to it first, so they'll be the only ones with it next year.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by DHS
well this is not a NRS replacement. its just another bike they're adding to their collection.
its called the VT. i has about 5" rear and is half way between the NRS and the ACs. they'll be having 2 models of it and looks pretty cool. also i would have to say rides really weird. like a squishy Maverick...

oh yea, its not a NRS shock. its made by Manitou, using the same idea/internals as the 5th element. just giant bought the rights to it first, so they'll be the only ones with it next year.
Actually, the VT is a totally different bike. Its a singlepivot bike more similar to a giant DH in design, but AC air product category. It has a piggyback air 5th element style manitou rear shock and different tubing also.

The e47 is NRS class, probably about 4" travel and lighter weight/durability.

The VT has been released?

Here is a picture - much different design than e47:

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
hm, well when i rode the prototype, the first one ya posted. they said it was gonna be called VT...
doesn't matter, don't like giant anyway, just really fun to suck up too them and play with new stuff

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
saw that in the giant catalog when i was buying my NRS 3. the guy at the bike shop said it would probably cost over $1000 for the frame alone.

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
They are not going to replace the NRS. It is a new bike to compete with enduro bikes like the Kona Bear/Dawg, Trek Liquid, and such. There will be a VT1, Psylo race w/Uturn & remote lock out, Manitou Swinger air shock(air 5th ele) RF turbine crank, XTders, Crossmax XL disc wheels, Hayes brakes.

VT2, Psylo XC w/uturn, Swinger air, RF prod crank, X223 on Deore disc hubs, xt-lx ders, Avid brakes.

Price TBA, but I hear they should fall in this price range VT1 @ 2000, VT2 @ 1300. I think they are waiting on the Swinger shocks, so I would not look for them untill after Dec. But I could be wrong, I'm just going by what my rep said.

WB

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well from what i found out from giant is that there are 2 of those new NRS's around. and yes it is replacing the NRS next year. still proto. the VT is completely a different bike. so we'll maybe see it 04 in production.