4deg upsweep
~315 grams at full length - so sweet! :happydance:

Attachments

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Those look pretty sweet.

I just picked up a set of the 6061 Kore 800mm flat bars, we'll see how they feel on the bike. They do feel kind of heavy, but I suppose that's the ridiculous width more than anything.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Those look pretty sweet.

I just picked up a set of the 6061 Kore 800mm flat bars, we'll see how they feel on the bike. They do feel kind of heavy, but I suppose that's the ridiculous width more than anything.
Talked to one of the owners of Kore at Sea Otter. According to him the extra strength needed to make an 800mm bar safe is pretty significant. Thus the extra weight.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Im 6'0 and Im thinking 760 for me, even at that, it might still be too wide, whats up with all the companys making bars with +8 degree back sweep bars? they feel like motorcycle bars now, I want the boobar just cause it has a 7 degree backsweep or the funn that carries an 8 degree, while all the others are over that

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
what is the advantage over a low-rise bar, something like 1" or 1.5" which seems low enough to me. Just curious not hating.

ichiwan

Chimp
May 2, 2007
I got them through QBP, although I know BTI has them as well. They just came out last week - Gravity had them at Sea Otter. I was using the Gravity Light 800mm before cut down to 30.5 ~780mm, so these were perfect right out of the box. They're also quite a bit lighter than my Gravity Light 800s were. I'm about 6'1" and don't have the broadest shoulders. However, wide bars feel great.

Wider bars took about 2 or three runs to get used to after riding 710mm bars for a while, but they're killer, especially on faster stuff. With rough, rocky, technical terrain, you have SO MUCH MORE leverage with a wider bar. It's easier to keep your front wheel on your line. They let me get a nice low front end too. I think that gives me a little more front wheel traction (although some might disagree). Overall, KILLER bars! Go get a pair! :brows:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Sunline called, they want their color back.

Yes, I know they're not the first ones to make a bar that color, but they were the ones to popularize it, by only selling the v.1 in that color.

Not a bad looking bar though. I personally don't have any use for a flat bar that wide, but I can see how some people might.

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
From my research, the majority of WC racers run bars under 745mm wide. You have some exceptions, but those guys are 6'4" tall. I think that people just get a little carried away with the whole wide bar fad. Granted, I love my 745mm width bars but I think 800mm and over is a little overkill. A motorcycle is a lot heavier than a DH bike. You don't need that much leverage for a DH bike. Plus, as mentioned above wider bars do end up being heavier as you get really wide.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I think there is a point when it is really too long, say for example in real tight corners and trails, and also, it gets to the point where your armas are so far apart and stretched out, you dont have room, space or that much mobility in your arms to absorb, thus riding a bit stiffer (but in turn using your body to control the bike), does this make sense? You dont have that much arm pump as say with a smaller bar (extreme example would be urban riders who have smaller bars for bigger pump and ambsortion).

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The bars (Protaper Henry Reed) on my streetfighter (motorcycle) are 800mm. They are ridiculously wide, but it's by necessity for the controls to clear the preload adjusters on my setup. I would love to be able to run narrower bars, and I can't imagine trying to run something that wide on my MTB. But I'm 5'8". I guess different strokes...

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Sunline called, they want their color back.

Yes, I know they're not the first ones to make a bar that color, but they were the ones to popularize it, by only selling the v.1 in that color.

Not a bad looking bar though. I personally don't have any use for a flat bar that wide, but I can see how some people might.
Sunline also called and said they wanted their flex back too. I'm sorry, but those things are scary flexy. I have more control with my slightly heavier 29" bars than the 30" Sunline V1, pure flex for bigger guys. At that length, bars should never be bought based on being lighter weight than another.

ichiwan

Chimp
May 2, 2007
Sunline also called and said they wanted their flex back too. I'm sorry, but those things are scary flexy. I have more control with my slightly heavier 29" bars than the 30" Sunline V1, pure flex for bigger guys. At that length, bars should never be bought based on being lighter weight than another.
I totally agree - that's why the gravity light 800s are quite a bit heavier than the 710s - i had mine cut down to 780/30.5" and they were still pretty burly. These 777 flat bars aren't super light but they're not boat anchors either. So far they've been pretty stiff. I've ridden them on PNW steeps and on a few trails at Cypress. I'm not a huge rider - 165lbs ~6'1" and they're great for me. I understand the whole "different strokes for different folks" thing and I'm not trying to convince anyone to ride something they're uncomfortable with. BUT, I tried wider bars when I was pretty skeptical, and they worked well for me.

I'm not into "following" what the pros ride, but in this case, I really like my wider bars. Now my trail/XC bikes have 710s and I would never go narrower. As people say: "just my $0.02" :biggrin:

ichiwan

Chimp
May 2, 2007
I totally agree - that's why the gravity light 800s are quite a bit heavier than the 710s - i had mine cut down to 780/30.5" and they were still pretty burly. These 777 flat bars aren't super light but they're not boat anchors either. So far they've been pretty stiff. I've ridden them on PNW steeps with mad trees and on a few trails at Cypress with tighter/slower corners. I'm not a huge rider - 165lbs ~6'1" and they're great for me. I understand the whole "different strokes for different folks" thing and I'm not trying to convince anyone to ride something they're uncomfortable with. BUTI tried wider bars when I was pretty skeptical, and they worked well for me.

I'm not into "following" what the pros ride, but in this case, I really like my wider bars. Now my trail/XC bikes have 710s and I would never go narrower. As people say: "just my $0.02" :biggrin: