4 degree upsweep
~315 grams

And a awesome finish to boot! :beerjam:

Attachments

Last edited:

SyT

Chimp
Aug 26, 2005
How can a flat bar have upsweep? Other than the orientation in the stem, (assuming the bar has some degree of backsweep) a flat bar is "flat". Am I missing something here?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
How can a flat bar have upsweep? Other than the orientation in the stem, (assuming the bar has some degree of backsweep) a flat bar is "flat". Am I missing something here?
Every flat bar has some amount of upsweep, it just depends on how you mount the bars...

Last edited:

SyT

Chimp
Aug 26, 2005
Every flat bar has some amount of upsweep, it just depends on how you mount the bats...

That would be the "orientation in the stem".
And no, that is not upsweep, thats the backsweep on a flat bar rotated to a positive angle.
Flat bars are flat, by definition.
They look like nice bars, I'll leave it at that.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I've never understood this argument about riser bars having a better feel due to upsweep or whatever you want to call it.

In reality, you're holding onto two pieces of tubing that have one point of convergence. Riser bars just make a dramatic event of dipping down in the middle and raising your hands for a more old lady like riding position. Riser bars are weaker and heavier, so what's the point? (Other than most people think flat bars = gay).

Ideally... All bikes with dual crown forks would have flat bars and a low rise stem like the new Canfield with a flush mount headset. Then if you wanted to raise your handlebars you could just adjust the sliders in the crowns and still have a bike that could corner with the fork fully extended and slacked out.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I've never understood this argument about riser bars having a better feel due to upsweep or whatever you want to call it.

In reality, you're holding onto two pieces of tubing that have one point of convergence. Riser bars just make a dramatic event of dipping down in the middle and raising your hands for a more old lady like riding position. Riser bars are weaker and heavier, so what's the point? (Other than most people think flat bars = gay).
Agreed. There is NO difference between "orientation in the stem" and up/backsweep for flat bars in terms of how they feel in your hands. The bars have no RISE (they're flat) but they can have upsweep.

The only argument I could see for riser bars (other than wanting a taller front end) is that they dampen vibrations a little bit, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how much. Seems like you could probably just make flat bars lighter to achieve a similar effect though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Those would be sick out west - but tree snaggers here in New England.
Yeah, I've got a pair of 745mm Sunlines and I beat the crap out of my hands and forearms my first couple rides back east. I forgot about trees. I'm used to them again though, and don't find the wide bar too big a deal. Wouldn't want to go any wider here though.