Quantcast

New Grip Install Tip

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
I know there have been threads about grip installation, but I tried something I haven't seen postd as being tried yet. I know alcohol has been mentioned already, and what Iused has alcohol in it. It's Solarcaine Medicated First Aid Spray. It works excellently! I sprayed some on the bar and in the grip, slip it on, waited a while, and presto! No slip grips!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by dburatti
I know there have been threads about grip installation, but I tried something I haven't seen postd as being tried yet. I know alcohol has been mentioned already, and what Iused has alcohol in it. It's Solarcaine Medicated First Aid Spray. It works excellently! I sprayed some on the bar and in the grip, slip it on, waited a while, and presto! No slip grips!
Good tip.

You know what my grip install tip is?

Buy lock-ons :D

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
you know it's funny that I haven't ever had problems with my grips slipping except when I was in 3rd grade and your bike was cool if the grips came off, even then I had to really work them until they got stretched out. I've used a couple of drops of water to get my grips on, I just wipe the bar with a moist rag and then slide the grip on, it only takes a few seconds of twisting the grip back and forth for the water to either get squeezed out or evaporate.

I say boo to lockons, I've never needed them.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I've had a couple of different grips go spinning on me- even if they were not really worn out or anything. Stinks when it happens. I switched to lock ons and never looked back. Not only do I not have to worry about slipping grips but the grip patterns for lock ons are the best I have ever used- Intense followed by Ruffians.

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
Yeah, yeah, lock-ons...blah, blah, blah. I had some freebies I was installing that weren't lock-ons. I don't have problems with mine slipping. I was simply making a suggestion for getting non-lock-on grips on.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, yeah, lock-ons...blah, blah, blah. I had some freebies I was installing that weren't lock-ons. I don't have problems with mine slipping. I was simply making a suggestion for getting non-lock-on grips on.
Hey, don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking your tip, I was just joking around.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Lockons are great but they don't work well for Gripshifts. The inner clamp bruises the crap out of my hands. I usually use 3M spray adhesive. But once a grip gets old and stretched out nothing works except for new grips.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
No, word. It's a good tip. Installing grips is a huge pain if you don't have a good method (or even, sometimes, if you do).

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
I wanted to wrap bar tape around them instead of installing grips, but I didn't have tape and the LBS wasn't going to be open before I was riding.

When I buy my next bike, it's going to be very chi. Probably top of the line stuff almost everywhere. I'm on an 8 y.o. steel hardtail built as a 1X9, so almost any new bike will feel like an upgrade. I've been eyeballing the 5-Spot, the X5, and the Hammerhead HH100. I got to test ride the HH100 on my favorite trail, and it rocked! It's gong to be a hard decsion to make.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I have used Tri-Flow chain lube on my grips and it worked great once dry. Doesn't seem like you would want to use a lube for attaching grips, but it works great, no slippage. My friend got some Oury grips and tried a bunch of things to get them to stick, but they kept stretching and spinning. I let him borrow some car weather stripping adhesive, those grips will never come off now.

Gonz

Chimp
Feb 9, 2004
WA
if you have an air compressor, attach a pointed spray nozzle to the end of the hose, and inject pressurized air in between the grip and the bar as you push the grip on. The air will cause the grip to expand. As soon as you stop the air, the grip contracts to its original shape. No fuss, no muss.