Quantcast

New Grips

kennyo

Chimp
Feb 10, 2005
Charlotte
I just got new bars and grips. What is the easiest way to slide the grips on? It's been so long since I have done this that I don't remember what I used to use. I think I used hair spray but I'm not sure. Thanks for any tips.

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Rubbing alcohol has always worked for me. Hairspray is good too if you work quickly.

I switched to ODI lock-on grips about a year ago though, so I don't have to deal with that stuff anymore

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Captain Cogset said:
Rubbing alcohol has always worked for me. Hairspray is good too if you work quickly.

I switched to ODI lock-on grips about a year ago though, so I don't have to deal with that stuff anymore
I've got a new set of Titec Pork Rinds I'm installing tomorrow. Rubbing alcohol is what I'll use to do it.

rvlacich

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
Maryland, USA
I've done rubbing alcohol and I've done compressed air, but I keep finding that Clean Streak is the best. If you don't know, it's an alcohol based cleaner. It comes in an aerosol bottle, so you don't have to fumble around with the big bottles of rubbing alcohol. It dries almost as fast, and it leaves nothing.

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
A really quick and decent way to get grips on, if the have a closed end-
blow into the open end, while plugging the "breather hole" in the closed end. condensation from your breath will be enough moisture to slide the grip on, give it a few good whacks with your hand, then position it right where you want it....the quick and dirty...but it works well.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
last time I used some window washer fluid, it's mostly alcohol and has a nice clean smell. I've used water before and it works just as well but takes a few days to completely evaporate from under the grips.

RYANTHOM!

Chimp
Mar 15, 2005
MODESTO, CA
As far as the hair spray, and adhesives go, thats cool if you want to have to cut your grips off, and scratch your stuff up. in our shop, we just use the air compresor, it works the best most of the time, and you dont have to wait for anythin to dry

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
RYANTHOM! said:
As far as the hair spray, and adhesives go, thats cool if you want to have to cut your grips off, and scratch your stuff up. in our shop, we just use the air compresor, it works the best most of the time, and you dont have to wait for anythin to dry
As far as hair spray goes...it can be removed with a little water under the grips. We used to use (pre ODI lock-ons) a little pick to get the grip up and spray a little water under the grip....then after a few twists the grip is loose and comes right off.

Bar non, the best option is the ODI....for ease of removal and install and the fact they don't move at all when they get wet, etc. I run beefy metal end caps so crash damage is nill.

On MX bikes we used to use spray paint (whatever was open and handy, though it was a little messy) and safety wire them.....and they still could come loose in the wet rides.