Quantcast

New GT DHi......?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
My interest was sparked in this thing when I was looking at the LT1, they have the "sneak peak" out on their website, anyone know anything else about it?

It looks pretty cool, and the website says sub 40 out of the box?! Looking at some of the stuff on it, its gotta be a REALLY light frame. I don't get the carbon seat mast thing though....... is that all thats holding up the seatpost, or is there aluminum wrapped in carbon?

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
BigMike said:
Not Fair, the UK folks get more info on it than we do!

Linky
Wow, better hope that bottom bracket height is a misprint. I don't know if i've ever seen a 15.5 inch bottom bracket height on any bike, let alone a downhill race bike. And a 21 inch top tube on a medium??? edit: I suppose that wouldn't be unusual for a direct measurement; why that would be useful to anyone is beyond me.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
The BB height is probably a misprint. They quote some stupidly high BB measurement on the 04/05 DHI (which I own) and it's actually 14.5" in the slack setting. The 04/05 TT is also quoted at 21.5" but the effective TT is 22.9".

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
bomberboy11 said:
Aesthetically resembles a Turner DHR but still manages to be ugly as sin. Amazing.
GT has a penchant for making hideous DH bikes. Well, hideous bikes overall, I cannot remember the last time they produced something that was even remotely tempting. Back in the day though their Zaskar frames were pretty sweet.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Whatever. I think this new frame looks cool. The old DHi was too normal looking to be that offensive. If the BB is really that high (doubtful) then they basically shot themselves in the foot.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Polandspring88 said:
GT has a penchant for making hideous DH bikes. Well, hideous bikes overall, I cannot remember the last time they produced something that was even remotely tempting. Back in the day though their Zaskar frames were pretty sweet.
Their Moto 4X frame and the new UF frame are both quite pretty, but in general I agree.

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
Polandspring88 said:
I think the 2006 DHi looked pretty good. The paint had great lines and a really good color scheme. Other than that I totally agree, but the bikes are a great value and work extremely well.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
big-ted said:
Seems odd to spec such a small rear rotor...

I was thinking that too but......... I guess there is a reason :think:

It may not be the prettiest bike but if it performs like its predecessors, and it comes with that part spec, i'd rock one!

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
some how I can not up-load pictures to my site (computer fubar) but I got to look, talk play and test ride one of this GT bikes at the SeaOtter and let me tell you is a very nice and smart design.

for example the solution for the preload adjuster on the pivot bearings is extremlly elegant, in fact a thing of beauty (at least from the ouside) also the colaboration with E-13 for the chainguide upper mount guide is flawless ( as ussual,,,) in fact I do't know about you guys but E-13 is getting a little boring since they never fail or at least drop the ball in a ugly way, well i guess that is a good thing...

I also when By "Dave's genius" space about 10 tie but i never got to meet him, oh well another time will be.

the test ride was just on a sandy , muddy and very small parking l0t, so is not much to tell about exept for the fact the machine feels solid and ready for anything.

I'm really glad to see GT back in business, looks to me like the new owners keep the spirit alive and well and hyre some really smart desigerners, they also have a 29Er that is so freaking hot you can not beleive,, it just look like a really tall wheel BMX machice, so so sexy plus is white..