Quantcast

New guy, new to biking, need bike advice

MrB

Chimp
Mar 18, 2007
Central NJ
I hope some of the experienced riders around here view this forum. I want to buy a (new) bike in the next few weeks and need some advice as to where to start. With the details of who I am, what I plan to do and how much I want to spend I'm sure somebody could point me in the right direction. Right? :)

I'm 33. 5'6" short. 167 pounds. Down from 180 and trying to get to 150. 30" inseam, size 9 sneaker, yada, yada, yada. I live in Central NJ.

At this point my main purpose for biking is fitness. I want exercise to be fun. Since I always enjoyed riding and working on my bikes when I was a kid I think I'm still inclined to enjoy it.

Until I build up some strength, stamina and skills I think my local riding will be limited to the poorly maintained streets of my neighborhood. I could see myself getting involved in cross country trail type riding on the weekends but for this year I don't see myself getting involved in downhill and freeride (athough they do look like fun!)

What "size" bike would "fit" me? What kind of suspension, tires and brakes would suit my needs? etc...etc...etc...
I'd like to know what bikes will best fit my requirements that are under $500. I'd love to support a local shop but I am mechanically inclined and a tool collector so I'm not averse to buying online.

I guess thats it. If there is other info you'd need please let me know.

Thanks!
Mr. B

Ask locally and find the bike shop (not Walmart) with the best reputation. Buy from a bike shop rather than on line because it'll be useful for questions and contacts in your local riding community.

Go to the shop and buy an entry level XC bike, used if they have one. Pay a lot of attention to fit - they should be able to help you.

For street riding or your first year or two of trail riding, it doesn't really make a rat's ass of difference whether you have suspension or not or if so what kind. Disk brakes are real nice, try to get them.

After you have ridden for a couple of years you'll know whether you're serious or not and if you are, what you'll want for your next ride.

John

MrB

Chimp
Mar 18, 2007
Central NJ
Thanks John. I appreciate your input.
I have nobody to ask locally. I have a better chance meeting a local cyclist on this forum then in my daily travels.

When its necessary for me to seek the services of a local shop I don't think it'll matter whether I bought the bike there or not. If I find a shop who's business model is to only service and sell parts to people who bought bikes from them then I don't think thats the kind of shop I want to support. I've been riding motorcycles for 13 years and I've never found a motorcycle dealer that turns away business because a potential customer didn't buy their bike from them.

The other problem with limiting my choices to local dealers is I'm likely forced to choose from only a few brands.

What are the characteristics of a "XC" bike? Is there a site where I can find a chart of what size bike typically "fits" a person my size? Also, I'd really prefer to buy a new 2006 or 2007 model.

Ask locally and find the bike shop (not Walmart) with the best reputation. Buy from a bike shop rather than on line because it'll be useful for questions and contacts in your local riding community.

Go to the shop and buy an entry level XC bike, used if they have one. Pay a lot of attention to fit - they should be able to help you.

For street riding or your first year or two of trail riding, it doesn't really make a rat's ass of difference whether you have suspension or not or if so what kind. Disk brakes are real nice, try to get them.

After you have ridden for a couple of years you'll know whether you're serious or not and if you are, what you'll want for your next ride.

John

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Most brands have a whole variety of bikes, from XC to downhilling beasts, so it should be ok if the few brands you have are well known, and not too too small.

It's pretty hard to fit someone to a bike by reading an article or an internet page, so your best bet will be just trying out some bikes. It is all really personal preference. If you are super worried about fitting, you could go custom framing, but that is expensive :shocked:

Some nice bikes, with great value may be kona for you. http://www.konaworld.com

If you need more companies i could give you some.

Even if you really don't like your bikeshop, try some of their bikes out. You could get a feel for what you like. It is always best to buy from the LBS, but if you really have to you could resort to the internet just to purchase the bike. I would rather purchase from my LBS, so if i happen to wreck something on my ride, i will have somewhere to go, and possibly a free or a discount on tune ups. It is much more convienent for you to go to a shop. hope this helped:)

klutch

Monkey
Jan 25, 2007
dirty jersey
I'm not sure how far Central Jersey you are but I'm in North Jersey. In Montclair on Bloomfield ave. is Diamond Cycle or you can go to www.diamondcycle.com but if you go talk to Lou,he's about your size and has helped me with everything I buy there.I bought my hardtail from him 5years ago and just bought my new freeride about a month ago he's the man. So before I become Lou's third nut just go there and talk to him and you'll probably buy a bike just based on you convo with him,he's got a knack of doing that....
PS..he's real familiar with Diablo so if you talk to him about that he can probably tell you what you need to know about downhill.Also you can go into the Diablo forums here and speak with Sean,very helpful dude...damn now I'm his third nut too...

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
There are various bike fit calculators online that use your body measurements to give you suggestions on frame dimensions, crank length, stem length, bar height, etc. I remember the one at wrenchscience.com being decent, but I see they now require you to register to use it. Google may turn up others. Regardless, calculators will only give you a starting point. Bike fit varies from person to person and finding a shop is the best way for a noob to get everything dialed in.

MrB

Chimp
Mar 18, 2007
Central NJ
Thanks everyone. I'm going to find out where the local shops are and try on some bike this weekend. Thanks!

I'd still like to know what a "XC" bike typically consists of.

Oct 9, 2006
In the $500 dollar range you will be looking at the bikes along the line of Trek's 4300 series, Specialized Hardrock line(slightly better in my opinion of entry level) maybe a Gary Fisher MAKO, Scott Voltage...and so on. You will likely get a suspension fork in the 80-120mm area and more than likely rim brakes, although if you shop wisely there are a few out there with mechanical disks(not always an improvement however).

For your size I would suggest around a 15inch frame or a medium in most manufacturers size. Bikes in that range are generally set up to fit the most people possible with minor adjustment to bar angle, seat height/placement fore-aft, and if need be a simple swapping of the stem.
My recommendation is that you shop around, spend a little more than $500 as that little bit more in the bike world can really step you up in quality of components and you wont have to upgrade in a year when you decide you want to step up your riding.

Another suggestion is that if you will mainly be riding around the neighborhood is a set of hybrid tires. They will give you much less rolling resistance and make for a happier ride.

Hope this was of some help, just regurgitated words in a little different arrangement than everyone else.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I'm 5'6", and I ride 16" hardtails (front suspension), and around 17" full suspensions. A good LBS (Local Bike Shop) will let you test ride the bike in the parking lot to get the feel of the bike. You can generally feel if the bike fits well or not just riding it around the parking lot. Do you feel stretched out? Cramped? Too high? Too low? These are things you will tell in the parking lot.

Talk to the saleman. They are there to help you find the right bike. They should ask a lot of questions before they start showing you a bike. Where do you like to ride, how fast do you want to go, how far do you like to ride, things like that.

Tell them your price range, they will find a bike to fit your budget. Don't forget to allow some money for a quality helmet. Good helmets can be had for around $40. More money gets you more vents for cooling. They all protect your head the same when worn properly.

MrB

Chimp
Mar 18, 2007
Central NJ
I checked out a LBS today. They had a good selection of Specialized bikes. The Specialized Rockhopper Standard seems like a good bike for me. The owner and employee were both very honest and professional and I'd be happy to do business with them.
I found there are 2 other LBS. One carries Cannondale, GT and Mongoose and the other carries Specialized and TREK. I'll be checking them out soon too.

comtom1

Chimp
Aug 2, 2006
south of boston
May i suggest this to you find a local bike shop explain to them what you are planning on doing and what future plans you might have so you dont throw your hard earned money away another words if you spend 500. know and you really get the bug once you hit the dirt and really have fun can you afford another700. and up for a full susp. rig

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Good luck finding the right bike. Definitely get out and ride some around the parking lots at lots of local shops. It sounds like you have a good start. Size (small/medium/large) is different for every company. I am only 5'4" and have been given a "small" in a variety of manufacturers and they have ranged in size from a 14"-17" frame. I am most comfortable on my 14.5 & 15" frames though (with a shortened stem on the 15"). It's all about comfort so go to a good shop, talk to the employees and try to get sized if they offer it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Good luck finding the right bike.
I'm going to go against popular opinion and say that there is absolutely nothing right about a bike for a newbie.

The odds of a new rider getting a bike that is right for them today and months from now is extremely odd.

I'm not picking on your post, it was the last one is all. Others have said similar and mentioned how important fit is, but really, a new rider doesn't know what they want so an LBS employee can't truly help them. And a new rider's muscles that relate to cycling -- even if they can do 1000 situps -- just aren't developed specifically for riding.

I say buy any bike that comes even close to being comfortable. $400-500 is a good range for a bike that'll last two years and then become a commuter or beater bike when you eventually know what you really want.

Go buy a bike -- really any bike -- ride and beat it silly.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I'm going to go against popular opinion and say that there is absolutely nothing right about a bike for a newbie.

The odds of a new rider getting a bike that is right for them today and months from now is extremely odd.

I'm not picking on your post, it was the last one is all. Others have said similar and mentioned how important fit is, but really, a new rider doesn't know what they want so an LBS employee can't truly help them. And a new rider's muscles that relate to cycling -- even if they can do 1000 situps -- just aren't developed specifically for riding.

I say buy any bike that comes even close to being comfortable. $400-500 is a good range for a bike that'll last two years and then become a commuter or beater bike when you eventually know what you really want.

Go buy a bike -- really any bike -- ride and beat it silly.
No offense taken -- you're right! (wait, did I just admit that I might not be right :think: ) My first mountain bike wasn't right for me by any means. I guess what I was thinking by "right" is that he's happy with it and it's within his price range. So often newbies get their price ranges shot down and offered a series of $2000 bike suggestions and the fact of the matter is, they're new and may not love it. I definitely agree that $400-500 is a solid price range. I've never (yet) bought a brand new bike so I have always managed to find what I wanted in my price range (yes, I am lucky and ride a small which seems to be readily available). I think going out and riding as many bikes as you can will give you a better feel for what doesn't feel good (too long, too tall). My first bike was a hand-me-down from my husband...steel diamondback that was WAY too heavy and big for me. BUT, it fit my need at the time (free and had 2 working wheels) :D Now, I am more picky and am still on the hunt for the "perfect" XC race bike!

MrB

Chimp
Mar 18, 2007
Central NJ
Just want to let everyone know that I brought home a new bike last night. I got a leftover 2006 Specialized Rockhopper Comp (15") for $550 + tax. I think this was a good deal. I was going to order a 2007 Rockerhopper (base model) and that would have cost $520 + tax so I think the extra $30 will probably be worth it in the long run.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My first mountain bike was a $3000 Independent Fabrications Deluxe. Was that a bad first bike?

Ok, ok, I only worked in 2 shops and raced road for 5 years before getting that bike...

Diablo13

Chimp
Apr 7, 2007
I think a good starter bike for you Would be a Giant Yukon they retail for around $480 and they are a hardtail bike with front suspension with disc breaks. I bought my downhill rig for $300 from Diablo Freeride Park which is located in Vernon, NJ. This is what Mountain Creek is turned into in the summer. I think a Medium to Large frame would fit you fine. Maybe you could buy one of there rentals like me, they are great starter bikes but as you get better at biking and start noticing the problems with the bike they will not be hard to fix. I am even swapping frames or at least in the process but it will get you started and I think it would b a great bike for you since I am 14 around 100 pounds am 5'4 and ride a medium frame. These bikes are built to hold up so it will do you just fine.

Keep the rubber side down

MrB

Chimp
Mar 18, 2007
Central NJ
Diablo - Thanks for your suggestion but you just replied to 2 of my posts that we already answered a few weeks agos. Maybe the other posts are showing in the thread on your computer?

Mar 26, 2007
New Zealand
XC bikes are typically hardtails over here in NZ (front suspension), or a full suspension bike but with only a small amount of travel in the rear, and a reasonably light weight. Believe me, you dont want to go riding a full suspension downhill bike up a hill!! :)

Definitely talk to your local bike store ... NOT a department store :)
Happy shopping! I bought my first bike last november.