Quantcast

New Karpiel build

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Ahhhhhhhhh the beauty of living in California:thumb:
I'll take some snow on the eastcoast..........over massive forest fires, earthquakes, floads, unbarable heat, and landslides......

nice bike. What do you have lined up to replace it in a couple months???

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
According to the manual i have the most travel and the least progression? That is what i want, just want to make sure that is where it is.
Did you read my message in the email, that one diagram was backwards. Right now you're in progressive and about 8.75" of travel. With the lower shock bolt rotated closer to the BB give you max travel.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I hope your Karpiel Rides better than the POS Amragedon I had in 2000. :rofl:

Drifter..........................................
Have you ever stopped to think that the Armageddon may have been too much bike for you to handle? I still feel the Armageddon was one of the bikes for the technical nasty terrain, where you don't even need a good line to clear the difficult sections.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
easy brian, he was/still is drunk. :rofl:

what's the difference between the new army and new disco? they look pretty similar outside of the removable vs. permanent seatmast, and the weights are simlar. I really do dig the looks of the new frames...is chrome a factory color? Any plans to update the apoc with the newer style linkages?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
easy brian, he was/still is drunk. :rofl:

what's the difference between the new army and new disco? they look pretty similar outside of the removable vs. permanent seatmast, and the weights are simlar. I really do dig the looks of the new frames...is chrome a factory color? Any plans to update the apoc with the newer style linkages?
The Armageddon which I'm hoping will be available by summer is virtually identical to the Disco, with the exception of the seat tower. The Apocalypse hasn't really change, however it does now have the 12x150mm swingarm.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I'll take some snow on the eastcoast..........over massive forest fires, earthquakes, floads, unbarable heat, and landslides......

nice bike. What do you have lined up to replace it in a couple months???
I am hoping nothing, and as much as id hate living in those conditions, wouldnt you like to ride some nice warm DH right now? i know i would :(

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
demo 9, congrats on your new ride! the bike looks sweet. i have had my disco for almost a full season now and have been loving it. i have been racing on it and some freeriding but the new design is much more of a race bike than the previous ones. i don't think you will be disappointed at all. i have had time to do a lot of experimenting with the settings so feel free to contact me if want some suggestions. enjoy :thumb:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Have you ever stopped to think that the Armageddon may have been too much bike for you to handle? I still feel the Armageddon was one of the bikes for the technical nasty terrain, where you don't even need a good line to clear the difficult sections.
No.

It was a hucking POS. 2 foot tall BB and what not.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You should have used a 7"-8" fork, and not a Big Foot or Monster. My Armageddon BB is at 14.5, so I think it was you. Please stop blaming it on your bike due to your lack of knowledge and proper set up ability.
don't let him get you riled up. he's an angry drunk from Buffalo :busted:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
You should have used a 7"-8" fork, and not a Big Foot or Monster. My Armageddon BB is at 14.5, so I think it was you. Please stop blaming it on your bike due to your lack of knowledge and proper set up ability.
in reality, this is all a moot point for a number of reasons. some of which i don't care to go into detail. the main thing is, that was then, and this is now. while the M1 and M6 are probably a closer comparison to one another than the old Armageddon and the new one, but the point is still the same. anyone who has ridden an M1 and an M6 notice the differences right away and would easily agree, while they come from the same lineage, they are two very different bikes. Karpiel is no different, they have evolved as the sport has. they are very different bikes now in terms of geometry and suspension feel. the bikes may have the same name but they really are completely re-engineered and different.

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada
in reality, this is all a moot point for a number of reasons. some of which i don't care to go into detail. the main thing is, that was then, and this is now. while the M1 and M6 are probably a closer comparison to one another than the old Armageddon and the new one, but the point is still the same. anyone who has ridden an M1 and an M6 notice the differences right away and would easily agree, while they come from the same lineage, they are two very different bikes. Karpiel is no different, they have evolved as the sport has. they are very different bikes now in terms of geometry and suspension feel. the bikes may have the same name but they really are completely re-engineered and different.
:think:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
yup, now do that with the old army or disco and the new ones. the changes should be as obvious on the karpiels as they are on the pictures you just posted of the intenses. the changes become even more obvious if you ride the two - old vs. new. i think most would agree, trying to compare the old to the new is like comparing apples to oranges.

"same lineage" may be a stretch (horst link vs. vpp) but my point is the same. geo has changed and so has the suspension. karpiel has retained the dual/semi-parallel linkage but it has been completely redesigned and it would a stretch to say they are the same.

Last edited:

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada
yup, now do that with the old army or disco and the new ones. the changes should be as obvious on the karpiels as they are on the pictures you just posted of the intenses. the changes become even more obvious if you ride the two - old vs. new. i think most would agree, trying to compare the old to the new is like comparing apples to oranges.

"same lineage" may be a stretch (horst link vs. vpp) but my point is the same. geo has changed and so has the suspension. karpiel has retained the dual/semi-parallel linkage but it has been completely redesigned and it would a stretch to say they are the same.

The karpiel share the same linkage from the old gen to the new one. Intense do not. Maybe the M3 and M6 would be a better example.

Last edited:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
ride them both, the suspension is very different. do all horst link bikes ride the same? do all vpp bikes ride the same?

M3 vs. M6 would probably be a better example. but it doesn't change the point i am trying to illustrate........struggling to illustrate.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I realize that, basically boogenman is a typical small dog owner.:D;):think::thumb:

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
14.5?

Thats dirty high.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I realize that, basically boogenman is a typical small dog owner.:D;):think::thumb:
Dude it was fukkin 2000 who the hell used a 7" fork? I had a couch for a seat, 3" gazzalodis and a 9" lame ass fork. The bike also looked like Micheal J. Fox welded it.

What's wrong with small dogs?

I have a big guy too
[/IMG]

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Dude it was fukkin 2000 who the hell used a 7" fork? I had a couch for a seat, 3" gazzalodis and a 9" lame ass fork. The bike also looked like Micheal J. Fox welded it.

What's wrong with small dogs?

I have a big guy too
[/IMG]
Well there you have it, as far as Micheal J. Fox, before or after Parkinson's?

Plus I fail to see the point of owning a small dog. Might as well have a cat instead.

The Man

Chimp
Jan 30, 2010
Well there you have it, as far as Micheal J. Fox, before or after Parkinson's?

Plus I fail to see the point of owning a small dog. Might as well have a cat instead.
Cat's are so much better than dogs. They're awesome. My cat would eat that dog. And nice bike man!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Cat's are so much better than dogs. They're awesome. My cat would eat that dog. And nice bike man!
Sharks and dinosaurs are so much better than cats and dogs. My shark would eat your cat. Also, a nice bike but why are we talking about animals? Unless you own a shark or a rabid flaming bear it makes you less badass than a nice looking bike and a fancy pink race pj ;)

btw. It's good to see more people trust karpiel again. Like the looks of that disco.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Sharks and dinosaurs are so much better than cats and dogs. My shark would eat your cat. Also, a nice bike but why are we talking about animals? Unless you own a shark or a rabid flaming bear it makes you less badass than a nice looking bike and a fancy pink race pj ;)

btw. It's good to see more people trust karpiel again. Like the looks of that disco.
For me it was actually the old "overbuilt monster bike" reputation that decided to have me sway their way. My 303 was terrible and i just wanted a bike that would be no issues, who really breaks karpiels, haven't ridden it yet but it seems pretty nice.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
For me it was actually the old "overbuilt monster bike" reputation that decided to have me sway their way. My 303 was terrible and i just wanted a bike that would be no issues, who really breaks karpiels, haven't ridden it yet but it seems pretty nice.

Weren't even the old discos pretty light? ;)

Last edited:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Yeah, that's what I remember and what made me wonder how crazy would you have to be to make a 30kg bike with such a light frame.
I guess it was the trend back then. With everyone watching the bike videos in the early 2000's, it gained that reputation and unfortunately never really lost it. For the most part the bikes were built for the type of terrain @ Northstar. Those bikes could handle just about anything you can throw at it, from the biggest drops to the nastiest rocky sections. The great thing was you didn't need to pick your line, it was more point & shoot.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Yeah, that's what I remember and what made me wonder how crazy would you have to be to make a 30kg bike with such a light frame.
back in the day, it was easy to do. like boogenman has pointed out, many were running the 3.0 gazzys, a huge seat, and the risse forks weighed as much as the frame did. it added up pretty quickly. ahhhhhhh, the good old days:rolleyes:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I guess it was the trend back then. With everyone watching the bike videos in the early 2000's, it gained that reputation and unfortunately never really lost it. For the most part the bikes were built for the type of terrain @ Northstar. Those bikes could handle just about anything you can throw at it, from the biggest drops to the nastiest rocky sections. The great thing was you didn't need to pick your line, it was more point & shoot.
Yeah, there was a guy around here with an army or an apo with avy mtn-8 (seriously...) double wides and other similar. Though even(well I started riding in 04 or 05 but the huck trend died here later than in the us) then I never understood those kind of bikes. For me it was always as crazy as now people going ape**** over their low weight.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think that same guy rides a hitman now...

I think it will come back. People get moist about low weight now, but when they find out it doesn't help them ride better or faster, but they break stuff more often, they'll find that middle ground sweet spot again. I think DH bikes will settle and hover right around 40 lbs..some heavier, some lighter, but I think 45lb sleds will come back to a degree, as fat people realize that stuff that works is better than light stuff.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I think that same guy rides a hitman now...

I think it will come back. People get moist about low weight now, but when they find out it doesn't help them ride better or faster, but they break stuff more often, they'll find that middle ground sweet spot again. I think DH bikes will settle and hover right around 40 lbs..some heavier, some lighter, but I think 45lb sleds will come back to a degree, as fat people realize that stuff that works is better than light stuff.
I'm 210 lbs and ride pretty hard. I don't miss 45lb bikes at all, nor have a broken anything any worse than a spoke or a derailleur hanger in the last few years of riding. I don't really see some of the lighter stuff as being less strong, more like the strong stuff getting lighter.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I'm 210 lbs and ride pretty hard. I don't miss 45lb bikes at all, nor have a broken anything any worse than a spoke or a derailleur hanger in the last few years of riding. I don't really see some of the lighter stuff as being less strong, more like the strong stuff getting lighter.
I still think DH bikes are better off between 38-42lbs.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I still think DH bikes are better off between 38-42lbs.
Thats the ticket for less deflection and a pretty spot on feel. Mine will be 36+ as soon as the roco gets back this week and will go between 36+ - 38+ and thats about perfect depending on whats being ridden.
I weigh 235 and hammer the hell out of courses and rocks and no real issues so far, occasional rear wheel, chains and some bars but those werent due to weight or light parts rather bad line choices in rocks and off drops.

Hey B, qkrnt is looking for a BB for middys on the 2010 ride thread last page...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Thats the ticket for less deflection and a pretty spot on feel. Mine will be 36+ as soon as the roco gets back this week and will go between 36+ - 38+ and thats about perfect depending on whats being ridden.
I weigh 235 and hammer the hell out of courses and rocks and no real issues so far, occasional rear wheel, chains and some bars but those werent due to weight or light parts rather bad line choices in rocks and off drops.

Hey B, qkrnt is looking for a BB for middys on the 2010 ride thread last page...
36 is too light IMO.

I responded to you last post about the BB.

theloose

Chimp
Feb 11, 2010
Traded the POS 303(thank god) for a 09 disco volante, have not ridden it yet and wont have a chance to for some time being as northern NJ has 13 inches of snow on the ground. But it looks pretty nice, only complaint is the paint, not good quality and chips a bunch. Other than that i like it a lot.For the build i took the demo 9 and 303 and mixed them, sold some of the older, but higher end stuff, so some of the parts (all of them) should look familiar. Weight is 40.2

Large frame
Roco WC
Fox 40 RC2
Chrome Industry nines to 823s-tubeless minions DHF
Avid code brakes with straitline levers
Saint shifter with XT derailur, idk the chain
Funn Dh seat on a thompson elite post
King headset
Raceface evolve Dh cranks with a blackspire ring
5050XX pedals
LG1 something chainguide
sunline wide ass bars with ODI grips
road cassette
and a few zip ties

More pics at http://racer303.pinkbike.com/album/karpiel-disco-volante/
You have a lot of soda pop and TP. Stocked up well. Where did you find this frame from 2001, in a "stocked up well" bike shop?