Quantcast

new kicker at wintergreen

coob0220

Chimp
Sep 19, 2004
im in a glass case of emotion
just wanted to give a heads up, the first ladder coming out at the bottom of stoney snake is now a 4 foot kicker, and if you like you can roll down the other side. -coob edit, i took down the roll down side because it wasnt sturdy enough to really feel comfortable about leaving it up, so ill try to get it back up next week- coob

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
How bout fixing the berms on stoneysnake instead of building new stuff??? Not hating, just that there is some work needed on the stuff already there.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
CHOP said:
How bout fixing the berms on stoneysnake instead of building new stuff??? Not hating, just that there is some work needed on the stuff already there.
hey chop sounds like you've been up... did they ever fix the tranny on the cough drop?

Wintergreen needs to buy this kid a digi cam..

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Castle said:
hey chop sounds like you've been up... did they ever fix the tranny on the cough drop?

Wintergreen needs to buy this kid a digi cam..

no, no they didnt!

I still did it not long ago, but it has virtually no transition

coob0220

Chimp
Sep 19, 2004
whats you guys take on landing not quite flat, like the cough drop. versus a super smooth trtansitioin. which do you like more and why? i seem to get a kick out of the cough drop(i call it the plank drop) you would think itd be harsh, but it isnt, at least not to me. i mean its still s drop, its just that i never bottom my fork or shock. also, what size drops would yoiu loke see up there, im scouting places for 6 and above feet, ive gotta get permission before i do anything like that, but i mentioned to kevin like a 10 footer out in the wall of a ski slope. does tyhat sound good? feel free to saqy what youd like to see at wintergreen as long as its not"wintergreen should burn in hell, or the more popoular i hope wintergreen gets aids.(im kidding people) but throw what you the riders want done to your turf and ill do my best to get it done

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
WHen I started building stuff on my local trails where I live, none of the drops we built had trannys. They were all to flat. then I rode a drop at Snowshoe with a tranny and the difference is unbelievable. So now the current 3 drops on my trails all have trannys. I would get a tranny there just because it allows you to keep momentum. I've only seen pics of the alleged "cough drop" but a tranny is never a bad thing. Drops to flat take all your momentum and absorb it, and a tranny will allow you to keep it. Props coob for everything you're doing. Stay positive and you'll get positive feedback! Hope to see you up at WG soon!

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
BigMike said:
TRANSITION TRANSITION TRANSITION!

Dropping to flat, just sucks.

and 6'+!
What he said, and the older you get the more flat drops suK.

Bottom line anything over 3' should have a tranny. When possible follow the Whistler model. When designing a drop, design it so, if you crawl off of it you drop 1', at a moderate speed you drop 6' and if you are hauling you drop 10'. So, if the wall/drop is 12' high build the tranny almost all the way up to the lip, but keep the tranny vertical enough that you can air it out if you want too. Sometimes, you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't

Oh, and no mater what you do, build a tranny for the cough drop! That sucker is harsh

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
So, just a technical question. . . say you are doing hauling on one of these whistler drops. Do you find the impact is less if you catch part of the tranny with your rear wheel and sort of manual down the last couple feet, or does it make no difference for the smooth factor to just shoot over it completely?

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Rule number one:
Never land rear wheel first off of a drop that has a tranny, unless you wanna test either your fork or your shoulder and hand strength.

Rule number two:
The steepr the tranny the more rule number one comes into effect.

Rule number three:
Clearing trannies, thus landing flat on big drops hurts, both you and the bike

coob0220

Chimp
Sep 19, 2004
i see what you guys are saying. ill try and get a tranny up on the cough drop this coming week. its just hard to get everything done sometimes cause im only there one day a week, and 8 hours seems to go by in a flash. but whatever suggestions you guys have about anything there is welcome. i am going to try and fix the berms on stoney snake, but being as i work by myself filling and hauling the dirt up there is a major job, im hoping maybe i can get a maintenence guy to scoop the dirt into my trailor with a bobcat or something. see ya, coob

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
coob, your perseverance is much apreciated by the riding community. instead of slamming and arguing you have proven to be the better man by plugging away at this and providing riders with another place that will be good to ride.

coob0220

Chimp
Sep 19, 2004
cool, ill be up there all weekend, if my finger holds out. i either broke it or sprained it really bad last weekend on a crash by the plank drop. i wasnt warmed up and i got off line and went face first into the ground and my pinkie finger got twisted sideways, it bruised and swoll up, and it still hurts like a bitch, so im gonna tape it up and see what happens.

Sep 29, 2004
i was there saturday and sunday, on a hardtail it was pretty fun, except nearly none of the drops or jumps had transitions

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
bikecrazyguy said:
I am a transplant from NY to the richmond area. can anyone help me find some good riding. I spend alot of time at diablo, but also do alot of XC. no job yet, so anywhere anytime. drop me a line at bikecrazyguy@yahoo.com or 347-581-4080
Hey man, welcome to the area! There is a lot of riding aroudn here, especially road and XC, but there is other stuff if you know where to look. Let me know if you want to ride sometime. you may want to check out cyling central va at http://www.cyclingcentralva.org/, its a good local forum. PM me on here if you ever want to ride, Wednesday nights, we do a street ride around the city. Where are you living?