Quantcast

new Lapierre DH bikes

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
This time I'll forgive all Linkage-haters as Slovakia did the job, fullfilled my forecast and won over ..... well Itally.

But what I must admit is new LP DH's tube-shape/hydroforming! A well designed combination of sharp edges along the oval/organic shapes is definite for me!

Last edited:

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
So we have 3 different approaches to the same thing. However, LP seems to be re-arranged Mongoose (LP pushes, Mongoose pulls the BB-link).

The LP's system actually does the exact opposite of the GT's or the Goose's Freedrive. Both of those designs use a floating BB to limit chain growth as the suspension goes through it's travel, but the Lapierre system works in reverse and uses chain torque to counteract suspension movement. The floating BB moves rearward up to the sag point, and then travels forward through the bikes travel.

PB will have a video w/ one of the Engineers pretty quick showing what's going on as it is a bit confusing...

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Well, now that we have a good picture making a good model is a piece of cake. But you`ll see that it works like I said. I'm an expert in doing models from crappy pictures XDDD. But I know when the model is crap and when it's good, and I never post crap.

It's amazing how the people attack me even when I don't post any pictures, I was only talking about "what is going on".

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
The LP's system actually does the exact opposite of the GT's or the Goose's Freedrive. Both of those designs use a floating BB to limit chain growth as the suspension goes through it's travel, but the Lapierre system works in reverse and uses chain torque to counteract suspension movement. The floating BB moves rearward up to the sag point, and then travels forward through the bikes travel.
Ahhh, yes I can see what you mean. and so once past the sag point(little link at it's longest point between pviots)the chain growth will actually be working with the suspension by pulling the BB forward, and therfore the swingarm into it's travel, correct? Probably a trivial amount.
and if the BB only moves 5mm, is taht just from the little link going past it's highest point, or does the little link then pull the BB forward more?
Hope that all makes sense.
So all my initial guesses based on shady photos were way of track:(

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
I think Delimeat wanted to say that after SAG the BB will start moving forward thus increasing chaingrowth thus creating a moment and preventing swingarm from going further into travel. To some degree, of course.
In case of GT or Mongoose, the BB follows rear-axle throughout the entire range of travel. LP does only in range of 0mm - SAG.

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
I think Delimeat wanted to say that after SAG the BB will start moving forward thus increasing chaingrowth thus creating a moment and preventing swingarm from going further into travel. To some degree, of course.
In case of GT or Mongoose, the BB follows rear-axle throughout the entire range of travel. LP does only in range of 0mm - SAG.
ding ding. I forgot that important bit :)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
and the new carbon v-10... i will pull the quote if I have to. :D

Edit:
der, forgot. i initially wanted the DH920, but that is obviously done with production.
of course everything i want to buy, wont be in production for some time..

ill be on something new in 3-4 weeks time. ;)

thanks for corrrrecting me

Last edited:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
moar video and explanation. didnt notice it was a pressed in BB before
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/lapierre-pendbox-suspension-2011.html
Bummer, can't watch the video from work - will check it out later. Great photos though. Wow, that thing has major sex appeal. I love the head tube. Any word if they will offer other drop-outs to change wheel base length or anything like that?

Just curious, seems like there are no SP pivot bikes (regardless of pivot location) that are using floating brake arms any more. Are they just over-rated or just unnecessary for the pros? Just wondering, I always thought they were a good idea in theory but I don't have any practical experience w/them.

Also seems that the trend has been 8" of travel is the magic number now. There are still a few bikes with more on the WC circuit but it does seem that the vast majority of them and the new crop are all hovering right at or very close to 8". Just an observation but wondering why also. I have pedaled several bikes w/adjustable travel that pedal just as well in the 9" range as they do in the 8" range. Given that and the fact that the WC courses are so gnarly, wouldn't the rider benefit from the extra cushion? This logic may not apply to WC Pros however, just wondering.

Back on topic of frame::drool::drool:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Just curious, seems like there are no SP pivot bikes (regardless of pivot location) that are using floating brake arms any more. Are they just over-rated or just unnecessary for the pros? Just wondering, I always thought they were a good idea in theory but I don't have any practical experience w/them.
yes, both Foes DH frames are still using their floating brake system ;)
i cant wait to ride mine again this weekend

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
yes, both Foes DH frames are still using their floating brake system ;)
LOL, I am loosing my brain. I do have practical experience, I owned a Foes Fly, how could forget that :rofl: Interestingly enough, I owned a Foes FXR at the same time and there was a difference in braking. Ok, well case in point, the floater does work, why aren't they on more bikes?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Ok, well case in point, the floater does work, why aren't they on more bikes?
the infamous DW mentioned why he didnt put one on the Revolt, but i cant seem to find what thread that was in

edit:
DW: To keep it simple, based on past experience and through testing with a few "mules" over the years, I didn't really feel that the benefits were great enough to justify the added cost, weight, and complexity. Instead, I was REALLY careful about where I put that main pivot. In my opinion, the benefits of optimizing for acceleration performance far outweigh the benefits of optimizing for braking performance, so I concentrated my efforts there first, with a mindful eye on what impact my choices had on braking.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3232377&postcount=322

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think less people and companies use floaters because A) It adds weight, and B) their patented super-suspension designs claim to eliminate the need.

I've found the real world application of a floater to be beneficial in maintaining traction...which some people actually don't like, instead preferring the skittery feeling of some designs.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
In their test they say that the bb moves back a little at the beginning of the shock stroke. They say that it's not bothersome at all, and that it even makes manualling easier. Which I don't understand. How would the bb moving back make manualling easier? They also say the rear end is flexy :rolleyes: and may not be suited to heavier riders...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In their test they say that the bb moves back a little at the beginning of the shock stroke. They say that it's not bothersome at all, and that it even makes manualling easier. Which I don't understand. How would the bb moving back make manualling easier? They also say the rear end is flexy :rolleyes: and may not be suited to heavier riders...
shorter stays = easier manuals.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I remember reading that the Sunn team was experimenting with flexier wheels to allow them to "self-track" and choose the best line. When you're dealing with Anne-Caro and the 140lb nico that's pretty easy, but a 225lb US bred supertrucker is going to have problems on the same equipment.

TrueScotsman

Monkey
Mar 20, 2002
Scotland
Update;
Looking through some Eurobike galleries and found a video link of the new Lapierre suspension system working up close.

P1110066 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/4951530619_b953cf31ba_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@4951530619@@AMEPARAM@@b953cf31ba

Previous posters are right- the BB does move back untill Sag point and then forward. This forward movement is quite large. This has to be taken into account with the axle path arc to give the change in chainstay length, BUT it looks like the last 1/3rd of travel has quite a large change in length. Surely, this would give huge amounts of pedal feedback. Hmmm.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Previous posters are right- the BB does move back untill Sag point and then forward. This forward movement is quite large. This has to be taken into account with the axle path arc to give the change in chainstay length, BUT it looks like the last 1/3rd of travel has quite a large change in length. Surely, this would give huge amounts of pedal feedback. Hmmm.
Not sure how much pedaling you would be doing in that last 1/3 of the travel(looks more like the last 1/4 of the travel by looking at where the swingarm is), but interesting to see the suspension cycle through it's travel good find.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Surely true TrueScotsman. I wouldn't be surprised if this "feature" is only to avoid patent infrigment of GT's iDrive if GT has applied for patents in EU, too, and/or to look different.

Last edited: