Quantcast

New LBS in Phoenix!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Brian who used to work at The Pig and elsewhere is now working at Trail Head Bikes (I think it's called) at 16th St & Glendale. Bike shop, coffee house, etc.

They aren't officially open until monday, but said he would be there saturday if I wanted to check the place out, so I'm rolling up around 10 am saturday if anyone else is interested, let me know.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Brian who used to work at The Pig and elsewhere is now working at Trail Head Bikes (I think it's called) at 16th St & Glendale. Bike shop, coffee house, etc.

They aren't officially open until monday, but said he would be there saturday if I wanted to check the place out, so I'm rolling up around 10 am saturday if anyone else is interested, let me know.

Oh hell yes!
Brian and Erik were the only reason I kept going to the Pig.
So glad to hear he is opening his own shop!

:monkeydance:

So wish I could make it, but I can't on Saturday.
I can try either Monday or Tuesday after work.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Oh hell yes!
Brian and Erik were the only reason I kept going to the Pig.
So glad to hear he is opening his own shop!

:monkeydance:

So wish I could make it, but I can't on Saturday.
I can try either Monday or Tuesday after work.
I don't think it's his shop, but he's prolly high up in the pecking order.

The Pig's response time on ordering stuff is usually sucky (I ordered a freewheel 3 months ago, and still no word...), so if this new shop wants my money they will make it known.

Edit: I'll take some pix and let ya know what's up before ya go up.

:cheers:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I'm really disappointed with the Pig.
The last few times I've gone in their, I've had to deal with that guy Brady (or whatever his name is). Guy just has an attitude problem.

I NEVER ask for deals, special treatment, rush jobs, anything like that. They still treat me like dirt. Not acceptable, especially after all the money I've dropped in there (3 new expensive bikes, lots of expensive parts). Every other LBS I've gone to is usually cool with me, so I know its not me...

Brian was the only guy there who would help me out, talk to me, be cool. I think it has something to do with me being a DH rider and not rolling 29's...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Well, we rolled up saturday. Nobody there and a helluva lot of work left to do. Brian called later and said he was sick on saturday. I talked to him today and he apologized as his alarm did not go off on saturday...

:think:

C'mon B, step it up, many of us are tired of The Pig and waiting months for replies and/or parts.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Still trying to process...

Very good location, sh1t bikes, no selection. We'll see what it grows into.
No surprise on the bikes.
Very few shops stock high end rigs...just not cost effective.

Hopefully, it succeeds and becomes something great! I always thought a coffee shop/bike shop had potential!

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
Ok, now I remember since I tried one last Saturday.
The "Don Gobbler".
Pretty good but a little pricey for the amount of food.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
:clapping:

I have yet to check this place out. Just haven't had time lately.
Joo get up there yet? I'm prolly rolling up sometime saturday as Brian scored a rebuild kit for my Avid Black Ops rim brake lever that The Pig said is impossible to get as they don't offer it... :plthumbsdown:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Joo get up there yet? I'm prolly rolling up sometime saturday as Brian scored a rebuild kit for my Avid Black Ops rim brake lever that The Pig said is impossible to get as they don't offer it... :plthumbsdown:
No, not yet.
Rolled out to Bootleg Canyon, then Vegas last weekend. Those trails are gnarly. So was Vegas :biggrin:

Does not surprise me. I haven't been to The Pig in awhile...

[tHe] Saint

Monkey
Mar 24, 2006
Spokane, WA
You guys got any downhill type riding around phoenix? Or anything with some nice sized jumps with a good run in? I'm probably gonna be in the area for like 6 months.... I ride a 2008 IronHorse Sunday Expert

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
[tHe] Saint;3122148 said:
You guys got any downhill type riding around phoenix? Or anything with some nice sized jumps with a good run in? I'm probably gonna be in the area for like 6 months.... I ride a 2008 IronHorse Sunday Expert
South Mountain has some sick technical downhill riding.

Talk to Fish at cactusbike.com. They're right next to the mountain and can hook ya up with shuttles, etc.

Tell him "that Jackass stinkyboy" sent ya!

Oh yea, sounds like the jump pits are disappearing around here, but there's Papago Park.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
[tHe] Saint;3122148 said:
Go over to mtbr.com, look on the Arizona board for a thread titled "2008 NRA Thread". Massive dirt jump area. The directions are in the thread, I can't repost them here. That area is going to be destroyed soon though...

Papago has some stuff, but more BMX-style, very steep lips. Some pretty big gaps though, including a nice stepdown. Poor condition last I heard, hasn't been maintained.

South Mountain for downhill. No question. Ride Geronimo, Holbert, then 24th Street. Geronimo has great flow, super fast. Holbert is a massive rockgarden. 24th Street has chutes of death. :biggrin:

Definitely roll to Cactus Bikes in Ahwatukee (48th Street and Elliot, next to Safeway) and ask for Fish, he'll point you in the right direction.

:cheers:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
South Mountain for downhill. No question. Ride Geronimo, Holbert, then 24th Street. Geronimo has great flow, super fast. Holbert is a massive rockgarden. 24th Street has chutes of death. :biggrin:
At least ride National a couple times to acclimate yourself to SoMo, as Kavu just wants to see others fall down as many times as he did last time we rode to the bars.

:biggrin: :cheers:

[tHe] Saint

Monkey
Mar 24, 2006
Spokane, WA
alright, thanks guys

I'm heading down there on the 28th.... my fiance' has pancreatic cancer, we are going down there for her appointment and then she will be getting her treatment down there, so I will be down there for a while and will have plenty of riding time.

I also have a Transition BottleRocket, and hopefully will have a Transition Double before I get down there. So I will also be looking for some dirt jumps down there, and some urban riding. I'll be in the phoenix area.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
[tHe] Saint;3143340 said:
alright, thanks guys

I'm heading down there on the 28th.... my fiance' has pancreatic cancer, we are going down there for her appointment and then she will be getting her treatment down there, so I will be down there for a while and will have plenty of riding time.

I also have a Transition BottleRocket, and hopefully will have a Transition Double before I get down there. So I will also be looking for some dirt jumps down there, and some urban riding. I'll be in the phoenix area.
Sorry to hear about your fiance bro. Healing vibes!

There is also another place to check out for dirt jumps, its called Ikea Pit. Its off the I-10, near Ikea in Chandler. I haven't been out there yet, but there are some nice, well maintained jumps out there.

Definitely check out Cactus Bikes, they can show you the goods.

For urban riding, check out ASU campus - just watch for security patrols.