Quantcast

New levers for XT M755 brakes?

B

bighitfsr

I need new brake levers for my XT M755 disc brakes (older XT 4 pots).
I'm running goodridge brake lines.
If I run 2005 deore/XT/saint levers will I need new fittings for the good ridge lines?

Is there any difference between saint and deore levers other than the color?
The saint levers are $20 more expensive.

the main reason for replacing the levers is that the lever blades are bent and the pivots have lots of play (up-down).
Will replacing the pivots get rid of the play? (it sort of looks like the lever body might be responsible for some of the play)

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
the fittings for the new style levers are pretty different; the 755 fittings definitely won't work. No more banjo at the lever. I dunno what makes Saint more expensive but I sure as **** wouldn't pay extra for the paint... Deore is A-okay in my book.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
There seem to be only two significant revisions of the levers the MXX5 and MXX6. The main difference is that the first type uses either the braided SM-hose (terrible) or SM-BH61, and the second uses SM-BH62 hose. The first type includes the M755 XT shimano levers that you have now, and the second includes the New Deore and Saint levers.

So no your goodridges will not work, and it doesn't matter which of the new lever type you get, the only difference will be in paint and perhaps slightly different casting around the reservoir.

I think you need to buy the cheapest of the new series levers and a set of BH62 hoses. If you want to sell your goodridge hoses, i might be interested...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
bighitfsr said:
I need new brake levers for my XT M755 disc brakes (older XT 4 pots).
I'm running goodridge brake lines.
If I run 2005 deore/XT/saint levers will I need new fittings for the good ridge lines?

Is there any difference between saint and deore levers other than the color?
The saint levers are $20 more expensive.

the main reason for replacing the levers is that the lever blades are bent and the pivots have lots of play (up-down).
Will replacing the pivots get rid of the play? (it sort of looks like the lever body might be responsible for some of the play)
unless I'm missing something here, you want to replace ONLY the actual levers, right? If that is the case, check out the GRC levers.

Also, replacing the pivots should eliminate some/most of the play. If you are going to that trouble and the stock levers are already bent, consider the upgrade at the same time.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Ive got the same set up as you m755 levers with goodridge hoses, and am about to replace the levers,

I dont know about yours but my hose kit came with ends for both kinds of levers m755 and m756(the 90degree one and the straight one)

You should be able to just get the new ends put them in and bolt them up to the new lever, which is exactly what Im going too do in the near future.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Banga said:
Ive got the same set up as you m755 levers with goodridge hoses, and am about to replace the levers,

I dont know about yours but my hose kit came with ends for both kinds of levers m755 and m756(the 90degree one and the straight one)

You should be able to just get the new ends put them in and bolt them up to the new lever, which is exactly what Im going too do in the near future.
Yup. Right on the nose. I just got a new Goodridge hose for my front XT 755 brake. It came with fittings for both types of levers. (Straight in and banjo).

My Advice: Call James at Go-Ride and explain the situation to him. He'll come up with a solution for you and he'll do it at a good price. Best customer service I have ever recieved from a bike shop.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Just buy a new pin kit and lever if you have to. If it still wobbles around you just put in some shim washers between the lever and the lever body to stop it moving around.