Quantcast

New Lift-Assisted Mountain Bike Park, Asheville, NC

Apr 26, 2008
Lift-Assisted Mountain Biking Arrives in the Southeast!
26 West Mountain Bike Park Prepares for Summer and Fall Operations. [/b]

The Southeast's only lift-assisted mountain bike park Grand Opening is May 31th, 2008. Only 30 minutes north of Asheville, NC, 26 West Mountain Bike Park is located at Breakaway Village in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

The park will debut with the upper 7 trails, offering terrain for beginner to advanced riders, as well as a dedicated freeride area for hucksters. An additional 3 trails are under construction and are scheduled to be open later in the year. For the second year, Breakaway Village will host the North Carolina State Downhill Mountain Biking Championships. Race dates will be available by May 31th.

For 2009, 26 West Mountain Bike Park will continue to expand the freeride area and build more beginner, intermediate and advanced level trails.

The mountain bike park compliments outdoor activities at Breakaway Village, which already offers whitewater rafting, hiking, fly-fishing and horseback riding.

Lodging is available onsite. For more information contact (828) 689-2020 or 26west@breakawaync.com. www.breakawaync.com

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Matt,
I believe they are working EVERY Saturday and Sunday.
It would be awesome for the whole Clemson crew to get together and head up for a day. You guys got more workers than the Hoover Dam.
Agreed, but unfortunately I think I'm the only one that will be here over the summer. Most of our members are heading home this week after exams.

If I did get a group together what do we need to do in order to come help work? Call ahead? Email Ryan? Also if there's camping nearby we could certainly make a weekend out of it. I seem to remember some camping spots at the bottom of the Mtn.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Agreed, but unfortunately I think I'm the only one that will be here over the summer. Most of our members are heading home this week after exams.

If I did get a group together what do we need to do in order to come help work? Call ahead? Email Ryan? Also if there's camping nearby we could certainly make a weekend out of it. I seem to remember some camping spots at the bottom of the Mtn.
I just PMed you his contact info.
And I am pretty sure there is camping nearby as well.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina

I know I will be trying to go up twice during May to help out, maybe more. Trying to get a group from Greenville to head up with me that weekend to help support Ryan out. Your are more than welcome to carpool up with me or who ever goes up from Greenville.

you hear that EC? time to get the SoCal thing moving faster. we gotta be at least as good as these guys.
Yeah, that's right don't let us have the edge on anything. It's not enough that you guys have the ocean and the mountains five minutes apart, can surf, snowboard, skate, and DH in the same day, and enjoy year round beautiful weather.

At least we got our moonshine dammitt :biggrin:
Oh, and by the sounds of this thread a sick bike park that just happens to be close to a million acre national forest (can you say Pisgah) that also nothing in it but some of the best mountainous single track I have ever been on.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah, that's right don't let us have the edge on anything. It's not enough that you guys have the ocean and the mountains five minutes apart, can surf, snowboard, skate, and DH in the same day, and enjoy year round beautiful weather.

At least we got our moonshine dammitt :biggrin:
Oh, and by the sounds of this thread a sick bike park that just happens to be close to a million acre national forest (can you say Pisgah) that also nothing in it but some of the best mountainous single track I have ever been on.
Everyone on the west coast just has to admit.......we're abosolutely spanked by what's going on back east as far as lift access.

I haven't lived on the east coast in 8 years but there's arguably a larger dh population on the western seaboard and we have what.......like 4 mountains? Mammoth, Northstar, Mt hood and Willamette...

Everyone on the west coast just has to admit.......we're abosolutely spanked by what's going on back east as far as lift access.

I haven't lived on the east coast in 8 years but there's arguably a larger dh population on the western seaboard and we have what.......like 4 mountains? Mammoth, Northstar, Mt hood and Willamette...
Biking wise I'm loving living in western NC. We have epic rides in our national forest with more trails then I can ride in an entire season and I can get to the following lift accessed parks (driving time):

26 Bike Park West 1.5hrs
Sugar Mountain 2 hrs
Snowshoe 4 hrs
Diablo 9hrs

No shortage on places to ride, but Kidwoo I sure don't feel sorry for you getting to live by the lake especially in winter time.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
No shortage on places to ride, but Kidwoo I sure don't feel sorry for you getting to live by the lake especially in winter time.
I'd almost trade it for pisgah.............almost :D

I don't 'get' to live at the lake. I take a low paying, minimal advancement job, look at the same 3 cute girls in town every day, drive 50 miles for groceries, pay 20 times the national average for a house, and mail order my underwear to live here.;)

I don't 'get' to live at the lake. I take a low paying, minimal advancement job, look at the same 3 cute girls in town every day, drive 50 miles for groceries, pay 20 times the national average for a house, and mail order my underwear to live here.;)
:nopity::nopity::nopity::nopity:

Yeah, I know we all make choices. I'm perfectly happy here with no desire to move. I'll just keep visiting Tahoe, SLC, Canada, etc.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
:nopity::nopity::nopity::nopity:

Yeah, I know we all make choices. I'm perfectly happy here with no desire to move. I'll just keep visiting Tahoe, SLC, Canada, etc.
I'm not looking for sympathy.

It's just a pet peeve of mine when someone indicates 'luck' or something similar regarding someone elses lifestyle that they worked to achieve.

Now not having commonwealth status or canadian citizenship........that I want some sypathy for :D

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
I'm not looking for sympathy.

It's just a pet peeve of mine when someone indicates 'luck' or something similar regarding someone elses lifestyle that they worked to achieve.

Now not having commonwealth status or canadian citizenship........that I want some sypathy for :D
Me too, here's funny little research project someone did about luck...

They had people on job interviews rate how lucky there thought they were on a scale of 1 to 10. Later in the interview they gave them a newspaper and told them to count all the pictures. The catch was on every caption on the pictures it said "if you read this, you can stop counting, you're finished."

People who rated themselves between 7 and 10 on luck caught this pretty quick... within a few minutes.

People who rated themselves between 1 and 3 on luck, counted all the pictures and turned their count in at the end.

What does this mean?

You're not just unlucky.... you're also dumb. :biggrin:

Anyways back on topic. I really think So Cal could have a few bike parks. There's clearly a starving crowd of people willing to pay. All we need is the right person to come along and make it happen. Problem is most of these people are working on careers to afford to live here rather than negotiating bike parks to open.

Here's another thing I noticed today. BigBear.com is advertising for people to come mountain bike on adsense. ...So the town knows mountain bikers are a good source of revenue. Now they just need to re convince snow summit that if they do it right, they won't have law suits and can bring in a bunch of money.