Quantcast

New, looking for shuttles around Pigah

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
NewFLFRrider said:
I heard of some Stellar trails dropping off the Blue Ridge somewhehe in NC around the Pisgah Forest. Any FR bro's out there to hook a poser up?
Not really a smart move off the Park Way. Thats if you don't care about losing your bike and getting a ticket.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
There are a number of trails that lead to and from the Parkway. However they are hiking only. That means you need to be walking your bike, until they intersect with a Bike trail. There are a few that the hiking only section is as alittle as a few hundred yards. And a few that are about a 1/4-1/2 mile of hiking before you get to Bike trails.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I am not trying to be an A$$ in anyway, but the rangers don't like to see Mt. Bikers off the Park Way. There are other trails to be ridden around there and you can stay away from the Park Way.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
why don't you hook up with responsible locals.
and not alienate yourself for life from some of the best riders in the south.
i'm sure they'll hook you up with far better trails and you'll have a much better time , than if you poach trails in a irresponsible way.

better yet.
how about traveling to windrock. i'll show you s... that will test your limits and it's perfectly legal.

NewFLFRrider

Chimp
May 18, 2006
South Florida
Out of all those mountains and riders in the Pisgah area the only response I get is about my attitude???? Shouldn't there be trails for all of us to use???? Just cause we want to shuttle we're the bad apples???? I see much worse attitudes from those spandy riders!!!!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
NewFLFRrider said:
Out of all those mountains and riders in the Pisgah area the only response I get is about my attitude???? Shouldn't there be trails for all of us to use???? Just cause we want to shuttle we're the bad apples???? I see much worse attitudes from those spandy riders!!!!

yawwwwwnnnnnnn..........

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
NewFLFRrider said:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with shuttling or the people that do it. RESPECT is a big concern here. The trails are always in danger of being closed to users that don't respect every aspect of the trail. The right to be on any trail has to be earned. It is not a given right. Pisgah is one of the most beautiful places around and we should all be able to enjoy it. This is why we play by the rules. The rangers in the forest are everywhere and hand out fines left and right for violations. There are plenty of places to ride big bikes and small bikes. Like T-Pirate said, get a good map and explore this for yourself. You will find what you are looking for. Any good person is not going to tell you here. We have a secret treasure and want to keep it that way. I hope you find some good trails and good people to ride with.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
tomvan72 said:
The rangers in the forest are everywhere and hand out fines left and right for violations..
Definitely...

I was backpacking, in January, in 20 degree weather, with spitting snow in Shining Rock Wilderness out near Cold Mtn, probably 10 miles from a road and along came a ranger bopping down the trail with a pair of binocs, looking for people illegally building campfires in the wilderness area. They are definitely out there.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
NewFLFRrider said:
bro...all of us on here shuttle. Legal stuff.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
jdschall said:
Definitely...

I was backpacking, in January, in 20 degree weather, with spitting snow in Shining Rock Wilderness out near Cold Mtn, probably 10 miles from a road and along came a ranger bopping down the trail with a pair of binocs, looking for people illegally building campfires in the wilderness area. They are definitely out there.
Two buddies of mine at college thought it would be cool to sneak their bikes onto the AT one fall. They unloaded their bikes, saw a ranger drive by and hauled it up the trail out of sight. This was at 7am in the morning. They knocked out around 15 miles on their hardtails and got way back in Nantahala Forest, got off trail and hiked 10 minutes off trail and setup camp for Fri, Sat. Sunday morning they woke up to piss and found the ranger sitting there. He had started their fire up, made himself coffee and had their $1500.00 fines sitting on their bikes waiting. He was nice to them, said they had guts, hung out for about 30 minutes, then said he had to go catch some ginseng poachers. They never saw his truck, his footprints, nothing. He even left a note on their car saying "Never run from me again."

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I should add to my story, that I had built a fire the night before because it was so damn cold. I was legal, just outside the wilderness area near Black Balsam. The ranger must have smelled it on me so he started asking all kinds of questions about where I'd camped, if I'd had a fire, etc. I had to get out my map and show him exactly where my campsite was.

Sounds like from your story bizutch, if I had lied to him he would have hunted me down and ticketed me the next day. Those rangers are crafty dudes. Impressive.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
jdschall said:
I should add to my story, that I had built a fire the night before because it was so damn cold. I was legal, just outside the wilderness area near Black Balsam. The ranger must have smelled it on me so he started asking all kinds of questions about where I'd camped, if I'd had a fire, etc. I had to get out my map and show him exactly where my campsite was.

Sounds like from your story bizutch, if I had lied to him he would have hunted me down and ticketed me the next day. Those rangers are crafty dudes. Impressive.
the Ranger you really don't want to cross is the one who lives on the far side of Lake Fontana on Hazel Creek. He is the man who will take it all away. His section of the Smokies is the most pristine and if you were to be so stupid as to put a bike on his turf....man!

We met the guy one time...he's nice but viscious on anything illegal. Dad said he's a tracker too. :dead:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
bizutch said:
the far side of Lake Fontana on Hazel Creek.
I bet that guy is hardcore. How would you even get a bike over there? Via Pontoon?

I've always wanted to paddle across the lake and hike up a couple of those creeks and see if they are runnable via kayak. You might even score a kayaking holy grail - a first descent - if you did it. Problem was it would just require a freaking expedition to do it and I never found anybody willing to go with me to bag the runs. That and I'm not an expedition level boater. If I found anything over class IV I'd have to leave it. Too easy to get in big trouble and way too remote to ever expect any help.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I doubt you would be first on Hazel. There is a shuttle service from Fontana dam marina. They haul over carts and all sorts of wheeled, push vehicles. There is an old road that follows the creek for some ways. However all that pristine Smokies wilderness will be ruined as soon as whatever NC county that is builds a road over there. Let the raping of the Fontana lake begin.... :nopity:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
profro said:
I doubt you would be first on Hazel. There is a shuttle service from Fontana dam marina. They haul over carts and all sorts of wheeled, push vehicles. There is an old road that follows the creek for some ways. However all that pristine Smokies wilderness will be ruined as soon as whatever NC county that is builds a road over there. Let the raping of the Fontana lake begin.... :nopity:
yeah. they are essentially equipment rickshaws. The old road bed is a former railway that leads all the way to Clingman's Dome. There are 4 campsites along the way and it's the most rich in wildlife and old growth you can imagine.

My roots are in Proctor, the former town at the mouth of Hazel Creek. Boating on hazel Creek would suck. It's no bigger than the Rocky Broad in Lake Lure and on a shallow, wide angle.

http://www.rctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060418/OPINION01/604180321/1007/MTCN0305
As for the "ROAD TO NOWHERE", it's not going to good for the supporters of the road Doug. And the government themselves are against it, the EPA, the Forestry Service, you name it. The only people that want that road are either dead or gone. My grandmother was born and raised there and she and every member of my family that is alive that is owed that promise wants NO part of that road. They want it left like it is.

The annual visit to the graveyard is all the want for access there. They don't want the road. The only ones pushing for it are the town of Bryson City for purposes of GREED and Congressman Taylor because he owns the logging outfit that would most likely magicly get the contract.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
profro said:
I doubt you would be first on Hazel. :

Just checked AWA.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/4610

No documented runs as of 3/06. Doesn't mean it hasn't been done though. It maybe that it just hasn't been documented. Usually people brag a lot on Boatertalk when something is run for the first time and you hear about it, then they post it up on AWA. There are a couple of others besides Hazel over there too.

Bizutch - your heritage is very interesting. I grew up in Knoxville so 'road to nowhere' news was in the News Sentinel pretty often. Seems like every year when it was time to go visit the cemetary it made the paper. Very interesting to hear your perspective. The paper always makes it seem like the former residents want a road because they are getting up in years and can't hop of the boat to good anymore.

As for Hazel being about the size of the Rocky Broad. Not sure which section of Rocky Broad you are referring too but that's a pretty gnarly run with some water in it. http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/1120

Hazel runs around 100 ft /mile. I'm guessing based on your estimate of size + drop that it would be around a class III run, probably more the further you hike in. It probably fills up pretty good with a good rain. I'm sure if the conditions were right it would make a good run. Of course I haven't seen it in person so I really don't know.

Have we derailed this guy's thread enough yet?