Quantcast

New M6 with 8" travel for 2009 WC riders

DaveyIntense

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Berwick
I just spoke to someone on the phone who has spoke to a source and said that the bike all the crci team will be riding next year will be an 8" travel M6 bike not 2008 9.5" M6

Obviously that means alot of different changes to the current model!!

Anyone got any info on this????

Sunday_MikeG

Chimp
Jul 1, 2008
I just spoke to someone on the phone who has spoke to a source and said that the bike all the crci team will be riding next year will be an 8" travel M6 bike not 2008 9.5" M6

Obviously that means alot of different changes to the current model!!

Anyone got any info on this????
I've only heard Intense is working on a new M3, which will be a lighter, and less travel (8") version of the M6. Maybe they will be running on these...?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
sounds like a great idea. i've only owned one 9" travel bike and i never liked it for racing. 8", though not as super plush feeling, seems to be a lot more responsive in terms of handling, especially when exiting corners. i think it was minnaar or rennie saying that the v10 took a little while for them to 'learn' to ride due to all the travel. clearly they've learned the lesson well, but i really don't think much over 8" is needed on a race bike. i'd ride an 8" m6 for sure.

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
...an 8" travel M6 ...

Obviously that means alot of different changes ...???
Not that much, just some CNC work on the links and different dropouts but 310mm BBH and a 64* HA is reachable without any changes to the main structure.

It could prove to be a pretty sick little thing :greedy:

DaveyIntense

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Berwick
Well the info came from a very very good source so im sure it's going to happen oh and the new Manitou Dorados are going to be up front but that was expected.

DaveyIntense

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Berwick
I hear you mate but the socom never really caught on in the race side of things i think it might of had something to do with the head angle when the 2007 models came out it was 67' and was just a bit to steep for full on DH racing. I think the later 2008 model now has a revised 66' Head angle.

Also the socom in my opinion was not strong enough for what the pros could through at it, but thats just my opinion.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I hear you mate but the socom never really caught on in the race side of things i think it might of had something to do with the head angle when the 2007 models came out it was 67' and was just a bit to steep for full on DH racing. I think the later 2008 model now has a revised 66' Head angle.

Also the socom in my opinion was not strong enough for what the pros could through at it, but thats just my opinion.
and no matter how good they make it, it will always be seen by some as 'second best' to the m6. the m6 is their flagship bike, that's what people want to be seen riding.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
and no matter how good they make it, it will always be seen by some as 'second best' to the m6. the m6 is their flagship bike, that's what people want to be seen riding.
Socom is the bike that people ride who don't like 83 mm BBs but like to pedal! ;) :biggrin:

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
Dont you mean "that's what the race teams with money to spare want to be seen racing" ?

There are way more people riding Socom's than M6's. The M6 has never lived up to the M3 and let alone M1.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The M6 has never lived up to the M3 and let alone M1.
I'd disagree with that, the M1 was a nice bike for its time because there weren't many low/slack alternatives. But by the time the M3 had come out, the industry had more than caught up, and all of a sudden all intense had was a poorly welded frame with a ridiculously long headtube (and therefore overly high handlebar height) that cracked in a myriad of places when used for its intended purpose. It wasn't particularly low or slack either vs. the dawn of the Sunday bringing a WC geo bike to the masses for possibly the first time.

The M6 (apart from its niggling issues at first) on the other hand was a solid effort on Intense's part at producing a top-shelf DH bike again. Revised geometry and a lower 1.5" headtube meant they caught up to the industry again, and they also seem a little less break-happy than their previous offerings so far.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
Factory Riders will be on either M6 or M3 evo (the version previously mentioned that matti was riding last year).

Intense is working on a "redesign" of the Socom due out later in '09/'10 i believe. don't necessarily expect to see the M3 evo on the drawing board (for production).. at least not anytime soon. it rides pretty freakin well though!

DaveyIntense

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Berwick
Dont you mean "that's what the race teams with money to spare want to be seen racing" ?

There are way more people riding Socom's than M6's. The M6 has never lived up to the M3 and let alone M1.
Maybe at your local trails but not at world cups and the M6 has lived up to its expectations it did have a few niggles at the beginning but they were quickly sorted, it just it came out at a bad time for buying everyone i speak to is always saying they'd love to have one but they just can't afford it plus there is allot of competition out there now.

Can anyone think of a reason why they would want to drop to 8" travel??

I forgot to mention the new bike apparently will be a 36lb build.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
Can anyone think of a reason why they would want to drop to 8" travel??
My guess is that with 8" front and rear you would have better balance and less extreme geometry changes when going trough travel.

I hope they also ditch the 10.5inch shock then. That would also be a big advantage

Last edited:

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
Maybe at your local trails but not at world cups
First, I don't ride local "trails" or whatever you're hinting at. My home mountain is the host of the biggest DH event in the North America.

the M6 has lived up to its expectations it did have a few niggles at the beginning but they were quickly sorted
Oh really? I guess the only expectations were a bike to succeed the M3? The M6 has not lived up to anything. It is still a bike with bad geo and too much travel. Find me the tons of people or racers who are dieing to ride this bike? There are not many.

The only thing this bike has lived up to is that it is the top of the line model/replacement for the M3 and it is made by Intense who at one time was the defacto champion of DH bike design. Other than that, there is absolutely nothing else to be said about an M6.

everyone i speak to is always saying they'd love to have one but they just can't afford it plus there is allot of competition out there now.
Thats great. Everyone I know who has one and had an M3 or M1 prior wishes this bike was anywhere near as good of a bike as the previous models. This same sentiment is echo'd by pro/am racers alike, as well as, many people in various online communities.

In summary, the M6 is a "forgettable" bike. I'm sure many of us will be eager to see the performance of an updated model.

DaveyIntense

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Berwick
First, I don't ride local "trails" or whatever you're hinting at. My home mountain is the host of the biggest DH event in the North America.

Oh really? I guess the only expectations were a bike to succeed the M3? The M6 has not lived up to anything. It is still a bike with bad geo and too much travel. Find me the tons of people or racers who are dieing to ride this bike? There are not many.

The only thing this bike has lived up to is that it is the top of the line model/replacement for the M3 and it is made by Intense who at one time was the defacto champion of DH bike design. Other than that, there is absolutely nothing else to be said about an M6.

Thats great. Everyone I know who has one and had an M3 or M1 prior wishes this bike was anywhere near as good of a bike as the previous models. This same sentiment is echo'd by pro/am racers alike, as well as, many people in various online communities.

In summary, the M6 is a "forgettable" bike. I'm sure many of us will be eager to see the performance of an updated model.
Im sorry if i upset you but i never men't to suggest that you ride local trail's but it must be nice to live next to the Big Event I wish i lived there:crazy: I take it you just ride everywhere else in the world then, not your local stuff. It must be a bummer being to good for your local trails i wish i was as good as you mate, since you know everything il just let you reply to everyone cause i don't want to get on the wrong side of you.

But to be honest the good point you did make there is that "many of us will be eager to see the performance of an updated model"

Did Kovarik not finish in the top 10 WC, take the mount psycosis title and did JC not finish second on the M6??

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I love Diablo as much as the next guy, but i'd hardly consider it the center of the DH universe. for what it's worth there are almost no riders on Socoms up at Bromont, but there are a lot of M6's.

Of course there are more Norco's and Devinci's than anything else so using b-b00gies standards those are the bikes 'everyone' wants right? :plthumbsdown:

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I have a Socom, and I can say that it is the perfect all around DH bike for the East Coast of Canada. HOWEVER when im at Mont St Anne and ST. Johns NFLD I really wish I was on something just a little bigger.

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
Im sorry if i upset you but i never men't to suggest that you ride local trail's but it must be nice to live next to the Big Event I wish i lived there:crazy: I take it you just ride everywhere else in the world then, not your local stuff. It must be a bummer being to good for your local trails i wish i was as good as you mate, since you know everything il just let you reply to everyone cause i don't want to get on the wrong side of you.
No offense taken and I never meant to imply anything about my lack of skills. :huh: But you did start things off with a "local trails" comment as if you thought I was "dh'ing" in woods on an XC trail and you then threw in the "world cup" comment as if YOU were the one out there on WC courses, no?? It's all good though... :brows:

But to be honest the good point you did make there is that "many of us will be eager to see the performance of an updated model"
Exactly.

Did Kovarik not finish in the top 10 WC, take the mount psycosis title and did JC not finish second on the M6??
Yes they did. You believe that makes the M6 a great bike?

I love Diablo as much as the next guy, but i'd hardly consider it the center of the DH universe. for what it's worth there are almost no riders on Socoms up at Bromont, but there are a lot of M6's.

Of course there are more Norco's and Devinci's than anything else so using b-b00gies standards those are the bikes 'everyone' wants right? :plthumbsdown:
All I'm saying is the M6 is a forgettable bike in the history of DH. Sure there's racers/teams out there using them but not because it is a proven or great bike. They're using them because its an Intense and its their flagship DH bike. There's a reason there's no huge M6 following... the M6 is "OK" but not "great" and not a "rememberable" bike like the M1 or M3.

I think an update M6 (M3Evo or whatever it will be called) will turn out to be another win for Intense. Going back to 8" of travel and refining the geo on the current M6 will likely be a win. Intense had a real good thing. Sometimes the constant need for product evolution messes with a good thing. The M6 will quickly be forgotten once replaced. :happydance:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Isn't the main "geometry issue" with the M6 the rear tire hitting the seat thing that Intense addressed with different dropouts if the owner wants them? I give them credit for actually offering a bike with the same setup that their WC guys ride. I would also say that the fact that it's a $3K frame isn't exactly helping its popularity, but there are plenty of people who lust after them...

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I have not seen anyhting come from Jeff saying that there will be a specific bike that the team will be using. If you have such a 'great' source you would know that Jeff is constantly creating new bikes and prototypes for his own research as well as for his riders.

Words on the EVO from Jeff-

"I was Calling that one the M3 evo (8.2" travel from 9.5 X 3 for more shock options) 2 protos were made and tested by team riders Matti, JD & some of the guys from the CRC team.
Those bikes were cobbled together out of existing parts just to try out some ideas & the plan would be to redesign the frame structure for the final version & yes it is a sexy, adjustable geometry & light WC fighter. Should see some teams on these for 09."

As for the Socom, there are going to be new dropouts available soon that will lower the BB and slacken the HA a bit to make it more of a DH race bike. 1 to 1.5 deg slacker and 3/8 to 1/2 inch lower BB. Kovarik also used shorter eye to eye CCDB on his socom to slacken and lower it in the past.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'd disagree with that, the M1 was a nice bike for its time because there weren't many low/slack alternatives. But by the time the M3 had come out, the industry had more than caught up, and all of a sudden all intense had was a poorly welded frame with a ridiculously long headtube (and therefore overly high handlebar height) that cracked in a myriad of places when used for its intended purpose. It wasn't particularly low or slack either vs. the dawn of the Sunday bringing a WC geo bike to the masses for possibly the first time.

The M6 (apart from its niggling issues at first) on the other hand was a solid effort on Intense's part at producing a top-shelf DH bike again. Revised geometry and a lower 1.5" headtube meant they caught up to the industry again, and they also seem a little less break-happy than their previous offerings so far.
You got some valid points but did you see the article in Decline about Leovs 303 and the Athertons Commencals? The head angles are slack but the BBs were 14.2-14.5" on all bikes. So calling the Sunday THE WC geo bike is not valid IMO. Slack yes, low... maybe if you are Sam.
Personally I think the M6 ist too low and because of my weight I would never be able to set the damping fast enough to make the shock work. So a little higher, 3" stroke shock bike like the M3 Evo sounds really good to me :happydance: :biggrin:

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Personally I think the M6 ist too low and because of my weight I would never be able to set the damping fast enough to make the shock work. So a little higher, 3" stroke shock bike like the M3 Evo sounds really good to me :happydance: :biggrin:
Why would your weight effect the way the rebound works (assuming thats what you meant by "...dampening fast enough...")?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Why would your weight effect the way the rebound works (assuming thats what you meant by "...dampening fast enough...")?
I would need a super low spring rate, so the shock would have too much damping force even if totally backed off. Only revalving the shock would work.

Nov 27, 2006
CA, San Jose
I would need a super low spring rate, so the shock would have too much damping force even if totally backed off. Only revalving the shock would work.
what your saying doesnt make sense, if you had a super low spring rate and u backed the damping off completely then u would bottom out constantly and get bucked after a hard bottom out.

Nov 27, 2006
CA, San Jose
nvm i tought you where implying u were too heavy. Obtanium makes extra light springs from 200-400 in 25lb increments, that just might do the trick. And if you let CC know of your weight they can tune the damping for you.

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
nvm i tought you where implying u were too heavy. Obtanium makes extra light springs from 200-400 in 25lb increments, that just might do the trick. And if you let CC know of your weight they can tune the damping for you.
He's saying the long stroke shock doesn't have the ability to flow the oil fast enough when it Has the light (correct weight) spring on it. It's a problem with the low leverage bikes for light people.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802

Unfortunately, this isn't the case. CC's claim to custom tune the shock for each application can be a bit misleading. the only 'custom' tuning they do is supply you with the proper spring, set the pressure in the reservoir based on your weight and the frame you will be using, and pre-set the 4 external damping controls to give you a place to start fine tuning for yourself. other than sping rate and reservior pressure, every ccdb is exactly the same. they offer no additional tuning options beyond the already pre-set range offered by the external adjusters. sure, it is 'individually tuned' for each application in that they turn the knobs for you and pressurize the shock, but that is a bit misleading since it falls well short of a true custom tune. it's a great shock, and is designed to be highly adjustable, but if you or your bike are one of the few that don't fit into the pre-set range of adjustment there is nothing they will do for you, and no one else i am aware of offers custom tunes for the ccdb (yet?).

and before anyone labels me a CCDB hater, this isn't an assessment of the merrits of the shock. just clarifying a common misconception of what sort of service is available.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^
Sweet...I can quit my day job now...I am going to start a aftermarket shock tuning company called "MOAR SHIMZ!!!"

You send me any shock (and $500), and I will cram a recockulous amount of shims into the shock body. Plus, I will give you some stickers...Now that I think about it, I will cram shims into anything you send me...

Damn, I'm golden now...

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
no one else i am aware of offers custom tunes for the ccdb (yet?).
Wouldn't a moto shop/suspension tuning place be able to do it? Its the same technology just smaller and I thought I remember something being said when it first came out that any body that could rebuild moto suspension could also work on a CCDB. Maybe I'm getting it confused with Avalanche, seriously, I'm not being a smart ass.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Wouldn't a moto shop/suspension tuning place be able to do it? Its the same technology just smaller and I thought I remember something being said when it first came out that any body that could rebuild moto suspension could also work on a CCDB. Maybe I'm getting it confused with Avalanche, seriously, I'm not being a smart ass.

if it is just a matter of re-shimming then sure, anyone could do it in their own garage*. but if it invloves anything more than that, like changes to the piston itself for example, it would be difficult unless they were already familiar with the DB and were set up to work on its specific components (take Push for instance: they develop, manufacture, and install a lot of their own components). all mtb suspension is essentially the same technology/concept that can be found in various moto shocks, but its not like the actual parts are interchangable.

*maybe someday it will be commonplace for shock manufactureres to readily supply detailed instruction on how to rebuild thier products. a DHX is rediculously easy, but you won't find Fox providing you with instructions. Have to hand it to RS though, if you look hard enough you can actually get step-by-step instructions for the vivid right off the sram website: p.74 http://sram.com/_media/pdf/rockshox/dealers/TM_MY09_E.pdf but they lose points for requiring 'special tools,' no doubt to help discourage anyone from doing it at home. as if wrench flats and a schrader valve would have been too much to ask.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
^^
Sweet...I can quit my day job now...I am going to start a aftermarket shock tuning company called "MOAR SHIMZ!!!"

You send me any shock (and $500), and I will cram a recockulous amount of shims into the shock body. Plus, I will give you some stickers...Now that I think about it, I will cram shims into anything you send me...

Damn, I'm golden now...
Beat you to it, its become a running joke in my house... It was funny until my roommate decided we need more damping in our mac and cheese and started dropping shims into it. :lighten: