Quantcast

New M6 with 8" travel for 2009 WC riders

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The M3 came out at the same time as the 2nd Gen V10. I saw 2/3s as many M3s as V10s at resorts and most people thought the Intense was the more desirable of the two. This year the M6 went up against the 3rd Gen V10 and while I saw lots of new V10s I haven't seen a single M6 (that I can remember). An 8-8.5" "M3 EVO" with 2.75" shock would drop weight and price.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Unfortunately, this isn't the case. CC's claim to custom tune the shock for each application can be a bit misleading. the only 'custom' tuning they do is supply you with the proper spring, set the pressure in the reservoir based on your weight and the frame you will be using, and pre-set the 4 external damping controls to give you a place to start fine tuning for yourself. other than sping rate and reservior pressure, every ccdb is exactly the same. they offer no additional tuning options beyond the already pre-set range offered by the external adjusters. sure, it is 'individually tuned' for each application in that they turn the knobs for you and pressurize the shock, but that is a bit misleading since it falls well short of a true custom tune. it's a great shock, and is designed to be highly adjustable, but if you or your bike are one of the few that don't fit into the pre-set range of adjustment there is nothing they will do for you, and no one else i am aware of offers custom tunes for the ccdb (yet?).
Actually, CC offers an "M6 tune" that was developed together with the CRC team. Don't know the details, but Jeff Steber (Mr Intense on MTBR) said something along those lines in a thread in the Intense forum there. If production bikes have this shock or you only can get it aftermarket, I dunno. And then there is the spring rub problem of the CCDB on the M6. :disgust:
I am not rushing out to buy an M6 now that I know that there is an M3 Evo in the pipeline. 3" stroke shock, little higher BB than M6, 73 mm BB width and a slack HA and I would be happy! :cupidarrow: :banana:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Actually, CC offers an "M6 tune" that was developed together with the CRC team. Don't know the details, but Jeff Steber (Mr Intense on MTBR) said something along those lines in a thread in the Intense forum there. If production bikes have this shock or you only can get it aftermarket, I dunno. And then there is the spring rub problem of the CCDB on the M6. :disgust:
I am not rushing out to buy an M6 now that I know that there is an M3 Evo in the pipeline. 3" stroke shock, little higher BB than M6, 73 mm BB width and a slack HA and I would be happy! :cupidarrow: :banana:

that's news to me, wondering if anyone else has heard the same thing. but my point is still the same: CC doesn't offer custom tuning options so if for some reason you are among one of the few rider/frame combos that don't work well with the stock setting they don't have a program in place to help you out. and even with an m6 specific shock it might still be possible for someone who is exceptionally light to run into trouble. i know a kid who had a sunday with the sunday specific dhx (wich has lighter rebound damping than the standard dhx), but he was so light that the rebound was still too slow when fully open. last i heard he was sending it to Push to get it sorted out, an option he wouldn;t have with the CCDB.

For what it's worth, a few months ago i talked to someone on this board has been testing a low-leverage tuned CCDB that was made special for him, and from what he told me i gather it's pretty rad. so it sounds like some other options might be forthcomming . . .

back on point, a revised m6/m3 evo or whatever its called would be great but i have to wonder if the price is keeping intense from being as popular as it once was. The M1 wasn't cheap but at the time it was the only option. nowdays you can get a fully capable dh bike for a little more than the price of an m6 frame. obviously cheap dh bikes aren't what everyone wants, but it certainly has to be cutting into the demand for expensive, US made frames like the M6. the M1 never had that sort of competition.

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
^^
Sweet...I can quit my day job now...I am going to start a aftermarket shock tuning company called "MOAR SHIMZ!!!"

You send me any shock (and $500), and I will cram a recockulous amount of shims into the shock body. Plus, I will give you some stickers...Now that I think about it, I will cram shims into anything you send me...

Damn, I'm golden now...
Is it a bad thing that I had the urge to send you 500 dollars and a cow just to see what would happen?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
OK, I found the an old email from Malcolm at CC about the M6 tune. He said that they use different IFP settings for M6 shocks. So I don't know if you could really call this a different tune. :brow:

spliffy

Monkey
Dec 10, 2007
DURANGO Colorado
The M3 came out at the same time as the 2nd Gen V10. I saw 2/3s as many M3s as V10s at resorts and most people thought the Intense was the more desirable of the two. This year the M6 went up against the 3rd Gen V10 and while I saw lots of new V10s I haven't seen a single M6 (that I can remember). An 8-8.5" "M3 EVO" with 2.75" shock would drop weight and price.
thats funny because the state of colorado is intenses second bigest state for sales after ca, and if you were at any mountain state cups since you say you life in breck co then you probaly saw a **** load of them nect to yeti i would say intense holds the dh market in colorado very well

Last edited:

DaveyIntense

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Berwick
I think the General is onto something the prices are way out and you can get a good Dh bike for the price of an Intense M6 frame!! Maybe the M6 was expensive to build and they are trying to get a bike out there that is reasonably priced and comfortable for everyone I.E 8 or so inches of travel??

And on the CCDB issue im sure that Stendec do custom tuning on this shock unit.

My BOS just got returned to me after a 6month wait to have it lengthened to fit the M6 so when i get back form riding in NZ in march and try it out il let you know what i think.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Prices are way out.
I just cancelled my M6 order last week after waiting about 2 months. Less hours at work and the great economy made me change my mind. The total price of the bike was over $7k. Ya, it was a sweet build, but the frame alone with the ti-CCDB was $3500 if I remember correctly. Thats a lot of money for a frame with a rubbing spring.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Who is paying retail for a DH bike anyways? :imstupid:

Kanter, you started a zillion threads about the M6 build and all the bling parts you want to put on it and now you cancelled the order? You screwed the Monkeys! :rant: :ban: ;)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Who is paying retail for a DH bike anyways? :imstupid:

Kanter, you started a zillion threads about the M6 build and all the bling parts you want to put on it and now you cancelled the order? You screwed the Monkeys! :rant: :ban: ;)
I only started 3 or 4 thread, not a zillion. :) Yep, cancelled the order on Wed. The shop was pretty cool about it. I was suppose to have the bike by Christmas, but it wasnt going to happen. Intense hadnt even painted the bike yet. No I9 wheels yet either.

Trust me. I really wanted/want the M6, but its just too much money. I have been working 3 jobs to help pay for it. I saved up about 80%. My hours were cut at work and now they are saying there are going to be a ton of changes in 09... great. No M6 for me. I kept the Socom and bought the wife a 08 SX Trail 1 on closeout for $1892 down from $3700!!

BTW if anyone wants a CCDB sleeve to stop the spring from rubbing, I have a couple.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Nice score. Stock? Pics?
Its torn apart right now. Its getting a few new parts, XT cassette, Protapers, Wellgo mags, Thompson stem and seatpost, and a 66. Total its still under $2400!! Ill post pics soon. I cant believe it was only $1892.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You better have fancier names for those coloured o-rings and polishing cream if you want my business...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Sweet, looks like we'll be seeing some inexpensive used m6's on the market soon! I think when I'm in the market for a new DH bike it'll end up being between one of them and a jedi. Looks perfect for me, the stars have aligned themselves in my honor.

Speaking of, you should make some Orings that come in rootbeer, I'd be all over those.