Quantcast

New Maxxis DH tire

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Definatly looks like a cross between the minion and advantage, maybe a best of both worlds, light weight and good traction. Looks like a good front tire.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
i thought all tires were designed with traction in mind,
Not really. Some tires are designed for low rolling resistance, or light weight. Both of which are sacraficed when you add knobs for traction.

This tire looks like it may be a race only tire. It doesn't really have enough rubber to hold up very long in dry conditions and it looks like it is a larger volume so it might be more prone to flats (but much lighter)
It would be cool to have a race specific DH tire.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
what do they mean by traction, sideways, acceleration, braking?
I dont need acceleration traction in a dh tire, I am more interested in sideways and braking traction and low rolling resistance.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
While I like the (smallish) intermediate cornering knobs, the fact that it's only 3C means it'll cost 4 times sensible...

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
only in aus, 3c is only $5 more OS, its all about volume. So many sr and st are brought in to aus.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
only in aus, 3c is only $5 more OS, its all about volume. So many sr and st are brought in to aus.
Ah true... I've run the 3Cs and the SRYs back to back and I reckon the SRYs are my fav. 3Cs seem to last longer I suppose, but the SRYs let you corner off rocks better.

RED5

Chimp
Nov 28, 2001
So.Cal
Mark Weir called he wants his tread design back. JK Although the first thing I thought when I saw it was WTB Weirwolf. I still like the look of the Minion better.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
On a related note, a lot of folks were showing a new Eric Carter signature Kenda tread called the Excavator. Didn't get to ride it but it looks promising, a bit wider spaced than a nevegal. Anyone got a pic?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I really don't think that the spacing looks the same as the tire pictured above.

Anyway, I think the will work great in soft to medium conditions especially with a bunch of off camber. Somewhat like a high roller with better transition knobs.