Quantcast

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Kidwoo:

Yes the new HR is better up front but functions well in the rear because of the flat braking edges down the middle. That's how I designed it. Its a dual duty, multi conditions tire with a slight leaning towards soft/intermediate.

Acadian:

I went out to address the weak points and multiply the strong points of the old HR. That's been the word on the street from the testers. If you like the old HR you'll love the new one.

Already been on the podium on the WC! Super pumped about that!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Thanks for coming back to the thread WP. Quick question, if you feel like answering it. What's the thinking behind the alternating angles on the sideknobs? I know the explanation in the graphic that maxxis put out but it looks like alternating contradiction. One wants to subtly break loose while the other wants to hold firm and go with the steering. And on a related note, what does that graphic mean by 'over steering' and how was that a problem exactly on the old tread?

Either way, I'm looking forward to trying these out. Especially once it goes to dusty powder around here.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Kidwoo:

Yes the new HR is better up front but functions well in the rear because of the flat braking edges down the middle. That's how I designed it. Its a dual duty, multi conditions tire with a slight leaning towards soft/intermediate.
But how will it perform at Windrock, Sugar and Beech under me? Aren't you dying to know?;)

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Thanks for coming back to the thread WP. Quick question, if you feel like answering it. What's the thinking behind the alternating angles on the sideknobs? I know the explanation in the graphic that maxxis put out but it looks like alternating contradiction. One wants to subtly break loose while the other wants to hold firm and go with the steering. And on a related note, what does that graphic mean by 'over steering' and how was that a problem exactly on the old tread?

Either way, I'm looking forward to trying these out. Especially once it goes to dusty powder around here.
The side knobs were the only part of that tire that is not my design. That said, they work well. I've leaned them over hard in corners, as have some WC dudes, and they/we all agreed the tire held strong in turns (flat and banked) and the drift was predictable.

Straight line/stand up braking is much better than the original. Also, there is less drift when initiating a turn (turn-in). That was the one issue with the original - intermediate turns and drifting.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The side knobs were the only part of that tire that is not my design. That said, they work well. I've leaned them over hard in corners, as have some WC dudes, and they/we all agreed the tire held strong in turns (flat and banked) and the drift was predictable.
Oh yeah I can tell by looking at them they hold corners and will grab well on braking. Those angles on the sides aren't enough either way to be too drastic. Just a little confused/poking fun at the explanations. ;)

Also, there is less drift when initiating a turn (turn-in). That was the one issue with the original - intermediate turns and drifting.
Hey that's part of the reason I really liked the old ones! It's like sliding into a wall.

I'm really curious to trim the one set of braking edge knobs that protrude into the side channel the most so that it matches the others and opens that gap up consistently.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Is there even any dirt at that place? Most of the photos I've seen make it look like pretty much just rock.

There's lots of rock there. It just doesn't let it get pushed around like all that sissy dirt out west. It holds it's ground.;)

I always ask about tires holding up at Windrock b/c that's where my tires go to die. :(

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hey that's part of the reason I really liked the old ones! It's like sliding into a wall.
Interesting.

Beaumont had similar thoughts about the High Roller in that he said for him, they tended to drift first and then grab, but that the transition to "grab" was always predictable.

I never really thought about it but, the DHF seems to have a traction profile that is the exact opposite of this where the tire grabs first and then drifts...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Interesting.

Beaumont had similar thoughts about the High Roller in that he said for him, they tended to drift first and then grab, but that the transition to "grab" was always predictable.

I never really thought about it but, the DHF seems to have a traction profile that is the exact opposite of this where the tire grabs first and then drifts...
Oh yeah beaumont knows.....:D

I'd simplify my impressions between the two as the old HR drifts then holds like a beyotch where as the minions hold a good bit and then just drift incredibly consistently without a whole lot of surprises.

Also, Peaty mentioned it rolls very fast and it probably cost him a good position in Leogang and immediately told his team mates to switch to another tyre.
I'm going to make the assumption English isn't your native tongue; but you've got it all arse backwards.

Peat tested the tyre first and recommended it. Greg used it and commented on the speed it rolled at, but that he felt sketchy on it. No negatives about costing places.

****; the thing hasn't even been released yet and it's being cut down!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
that tire looks amazing...DHF seeya...but i still love my DHR

but seriously i will need a new F tire prior to going to whistler in august...when will we see these things?

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Hey, no need for that.... you asked who's ridden this tire and my response fits the question. I excluded myself from the testing process, fwiw. But in terms of who's tested it outside of RM members, just numerous WC racers.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Hey, no need for that.... you asked who's ridden this tire and my response fits the question. I excluded myself from the testing process, fwiw. But in terms of who's tested it outside of RM members, just numerous WC racers.
some wc racers liked it (peat) some did not (minaar).

the question was posed TO the community, asking FOR the community's feedback. i know of several people that ordered them weeks ago that post here. i just asked a simple question... has anyone ridden them? what is your feedback?

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
some wc racers liked it (peat) some did not (minaar).

the question was posed TO the community, asking FOR the community's feedback. i know of several people that ordered them weeks ago that post here. i just asked a simple question... has anyone ridden them? what is your feedback?
Sorry for the confusion dude!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Put one on the rear this weekend. I was riding super dry hard pack with some light dust on top. I wasn't really able to tell a difference between the HR 2 and 1 in those conditions, but I didn't really expect to.