Quantcast

New MX safety device

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
This is the new Leatt brace. You wear it with your regular body armor. It should work for DH too. It just hit the US and looks to be a good idea for protecting your neck. Pricey at $400 for the fiberglass version. However, what's your neck worth?

A teammate (C2 on RM) has one on order. I am going to check it out when he gets his.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
so how it does it work cant really see from those?
It's similar to a neck collar but stiffer. More like a football linebacker neck brace like the guys above were refering to.

In MX, it seems like every week you hear of someone breaking their neck. Hopefully, this will help. Even in DH, I hear of 2-3 people a year breaking their necks.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yet one more thing to cause a movement problem on a dh run. im sure that they are great and all but i think that thing would get terribly unconfortable.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
yet one more thing to cause a movement problem on a dh run. im sure that they are great and all but i think that thing would get terribly unconfortable.
Reportedly you can't notice them on a MX bike. Most of the pro guys don't even wear chest protectors for the same reason you stated. I guess I don't understand that since I can't even tell it's on except when it's really hot. I am not sure how well it will work on a DH bike since the stance is a little different.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I run the EVS version during races or trying something new at the local spots. I doesnt hinder anything and has made a considerable amount of difference when ejecting on your lid. It will also prevent broken clavicals since your helmets cant push down on your shoulder. I would be willing to say they are going to be pretty common in a few years.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
It's and interesting idea. It's alittle different than a Hans device. The Hans actually attached to the helmet too. The one thing i gotta say, is the support information they have for their claims is a little weak.

Also a neck roll is not going to do a whole lot to cervical injuries. You can also still break a collarbone with one on, since most breaks are cause by ground impact on it, not the helmet hitting it.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Seems like a good idea. Surely there's no way to protect 100% from injury though, so I'd be a little wary of putting too much trust into it. Without trying one out personally, I'm afraid it will prevent the head from moving naturally during a crash, and keep it more rigidly inplace, therefore making concussions more likely. At this point, I'd rather break my neck than get another severe concussion. What's the point of being alive and able if you can no longer control your emotions like a normal human being?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I see in the not too distant future a body airbag for riding, right before you hit the ground, you're in a bubble. Then you roll down the hill, into a river, off a waterfall and into the grave.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
In MX, it seems like every week you hear of someone breaking their neck. Hopefully, this will help. Even in DH, I hear of 2-3 people a year breaking their necks.
That's just because they do what Ol'dirty Bastard tells them to do: break yo neck bitch!!

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by Nagaredama
Looks very similar to the HANS device
not really man, and both of them work in two totally different ways. the mx saftey devise keeps you from crunching your neck when your head takes hard impacts (if you understand that). the hans devise keeps your neck from breaking due to serious whiplash from a 180+ mph head on crash. serve the same purpose but have to work and be totally different object IMO.

Dillknob

Chimp
Feb 8, 2007