Quantcast

new n* run

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
too bad n* didn't put as much thought into their bike park operations. this winter it looks like they are going to have a pretty fun run:

Northstar™ Resort is excited to announce the newest addition to our mountain, The Stash. The Stash is a new kind of run developed by Jake Burton, Burton team riders and Snow Park Technologies. The first run of its kind, it is a place where riders can progress their all-mountain skills in a fun, natural environment that features tree runs, road jumps and jibs all constructed with wood logs and other natural materials. The Stash is designed with a combination of park riding with a big mountain feel.

Wood signage carved with chainsaws begs to be jibbed and huge logs provide ideal natural rail slides. Make sure to check out the “CK Cabin," a small hut decorated with Craig Kelly memorabilia that pays tribute to the legendary snowboarder. Riders can jib, jump or hang out inside the CK Cabin.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Northstar™ Resort is excited to announce the newest addition to our mountain, The Parking Lot. The Parking Lot is a new kind of run developed by BoothCreek, Condo developers, and construction workers. The first run of its kind, it is a place where riders can progress their downhill skills in a fun, natural environment that features pavement runs, curb jumps and jibs all constructed with dirt and asphalt materials. The Parking Lot is designed with a combination of park riding with a big mountain feel.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Northstar™ Resort is excited to announce the newest addition to our mountain, The Parking Lot. The Parking Lot is a new kind of run developed by BoothCreek, Condo developers, and construction workers. The first run of its kind, it is a place where riders can progress their downhill skills in a fun, natural environment that features pavement runs, curb jumps and jibs all constructed with dirt and asphalt materials. The Parking Lot is designed with a combination of park riding with a big mountain feel.
next summer is going to rule!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Exactly!!!!

Snowboarding is HARMLESS. Therefore the biggest most progessive stunts should be built at public ski hills!!!!

In mountain biking, you might hit a rock............and god help us the litigation that follows.
woo. you are so wise.

i think that snowboarding is so safe because it's a combination of the soft snow and all the Grenade gear the kids like to wear.

i have never even heard of anyone injuring themselves with snowboarding. one day maybe.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Just checked out the pics of it on Northstar's site, and I've gotta say it looks like it will be pretty sick. I'll have to head over and check it out.

On the other side, look at how much work went into it!!?

All those milled logs and stacking them up and crap had to take time, not to mention that cabin they're building. I wish they put half the effort for building this into the bike park. :bonk:

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Another thought...

Does anyone think they may be using that for bikes next summer? Some of it looked hittable on bikes, and the lips on a few of the things looked decent for drops or whatever, although the landings were on the flat side...

Just wondering.

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
woo. you are so wise.

i think that snowboarding is so safe because it's a combination of the soft snow and all the Grenade gear the kids like to wear.

i have never even heard of anyone injuring themselves with snowboarding. one day maybe.
I think it is true that snow boarding and skiing is safer than mountain biking. According to some rumor I heard at Whistler if the percentage of visitors injured were as high in the winter as it is in the summer they'd have something like 1200 people through the infirmary per day.

It makes sense too if you think about it. When you mountain bike you're lifted further off the hard rocky ground. Some mountain bikers don't wear body armor. Whereas with snowboarding or skiing you're closer to the ground, which is generally snow, and you're generally wearing multiple layers of clothing. And then there's the fact that when you crash on a mountain bike the bike often falls on you. Imagine how many more snowboarders and skiers would be injured if you just dropped a mountain bike on them every time they fell.:bonk:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think it is true that snow boarding and skiing is safer than mountain biking. According to some rumor I heard at Whistler if the percentage of visitors injured were as high in the winter as it is in the summer they'd have something like 1200 people through the infirmary per day.

It makes sense too if you think about it. When you mountain bike you're lifted further off the hard rocky ground. Some mountain bikers don't wear body armor. Whereas with snowboarding or skiing you're closer to the ground, which is generally snow, and you're generally wearing multiple layers of clothing. And then there's the fact that when you crash on a mountain bike the bike often falls on you. Imagine how many more snowboarders and skiers would be injured if you just dropped a mountain bike on them every time they fell.:bonk:
How many times you been injured by a bike falling on you?

I'd respond to most of the rest of your post but you obviously don't snowboard or ride dh much (or either) so I'll just state that 1200 people a day getting injured at whistler is complete BS. There aren't that many people on the hill in the summer.

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
How many times you been injured by a bike falling on you?

I'd respond to most of the rest of your post but you obviously don't snowboard or ride dh much (or either) so I'll just state that 1200 people a day getting injured at whistler is complete BS. There aren't that many people on the hill in the summer.
Oh Kidwoo! You misunderstand me. I didn't mean to imply that 1200 people are injured per day at Whistler in the summer. I'd respond to the rest of your post but you obviously don't know me. It's a hard concept for me to state eloquently. This is what I'm trying to say:

During the summer on average there are X number of people "DH-ing" per day. Of that number some percentage, Y, of them will visit the infirmary. In the winter on average there are some larger number of people snowboarding or skiing, Z, per day. But a much smaller percentage, W, of them have to go to the infirmary.

I don't know what W, X, Y, or Z are. But I do know[1] that Y percent of Z is roughly 1200 people per day. This is meant to illustrate that Y, the percentage of people injured mountain biking, is much larger than W, the percentage of people injured while snowboarding or skiing. So, therefore it must absolutely be true that not only are more people injured by DH-ing in terms of percentage of riding population, but also in absolute numbers[1], [2].

How many times have you gotten a good cut from your pedals or your chainrings? Ever smack your knee really hard into a stem? What about when you go over the bars at speed and you and your bike are bouncing down the hill?

I've only gotten hit by the bike really 3 memorable times. The only helmet I ever really destroyed was from my bike frame clocking me in the head after going down hard and fast on a fire road with baby-heads, and I have a couple pedal scars from the summer right now. That's not to say that I only get injured from my bike, but that yes it does happen, and more often than in skiing or snowboarding[3].

And, you're very perceptive! I don't DH much. Except for this one 10 day whistler trip this summer and like two days at Northstar last summer I really don't DH. It's too fast and scary for me. Mostly I ride Demo, Skeggs, Pacifica, or Santa Cruz, Downieville a couple times a year. I like the kind of "Fast-Cross Country" style trails a lot more than DH. And I don't really ski or snowboard. I tried snowboarding for a few days in Park City but that was years ago.

So, whatever, I hope that makes it easier for you to understand and evaluate my previous post.

[1] 2006, July 13 Rumor overheard at the Clinic in Whistler Village.
[2] 2006, Nov. 17 No, this is not a valid statement. This is the internet. What did you expect?
[3] 2006, Nov. 17 Made up internet research; No mention of riding or carrying a bike while skiing or snow boarding on Wikipedia.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Gotta appreciate a footnoting post. :D

All you had to say was a greater percentage of mtbers are injured than skiers/snowboarders.

While that may be the case, building 50 ft tables on hardpack is hardly a safer enterprise than building a decent mtb trail. Percentages or not, it's the number of lawsuits that drain a budget, not a percentage.

I live in tahoe where northstar exists as well as a very healthy skiing/boarding community of which I'm a part. I'll tell you this based on that fact...........people DIE up here every single year skiing or snowboarding. From cracking their skulls on a tree to slamming into a lift tower that stops their hearts.........it's happened every single year in the 7 or so I've lived here. Every time I've been in a hospital during winter, the emergency room at tahoe forest in truckee is 80% or so skiing or snowboarding injuries.

They build the snow features because families buy/rent condos to come skiing because at some level everyone can do it.

The ONLY reason they don't do the same for bikes is that family bike vacations don't exist. The liability argument is a red herring......despite the obvious ignorance of how much money they could make being in one of the largest mtb demographics in the world......northern california.

You can't possibly believe that putting out hard steel handrails, a 15ft deep halfpipe as well as several huge tables on hardpacked snow surrounded by hundreds of people on the same slope is any worse than making a few improvements to a bike park. Again if you do.........I think there are some aspects of the snow industry you haven't seen yet.

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
Yeah, I dunno... I think there's a big range in both severity of injury and frequency of injury between summer and winter. Maybe the winter accidents are more severe, but the summer accidents are more plentiful?

I agree that the whole family goes skiing and spends a ton of cash and that's why they cater to the winter crowd. Think about why the whole family doesn't go mountain biking though. You can't really make fun DH for grandpa, grandma and the little kids. It's too dangerous. But, with skiing and snowboarding it can be fun and safe.

I don't know how insurance costs work, I'm sure insurance companies must analyze the risk of both activities and create premiums based on this data. I'd guess they don't have as much data on mountain biking and are over-charging to play it safe. Regardless of estimate insurance per person could easily be more expensive in the summer just due to the reduced number of people that bike.

Regardless, I am all for N* building as much as possible for the summer. I'd really like to see them invest more time in the trails. I'd like to see some smoother faster trails with some well defined jumps and drops, long rock rolls and other more "sculpted" or man-made features. I don't really give two poops about their snow park.

Btw do we even know if it will be open this summer?

Glad you liked the footnotes!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I agree that the whole family goes skiing and spends a ton of cash and that's why they cater to the winter crowd. Think about why the whole family doesn't go mountain biking though. You can't really make fun DH for grandpa, grandma and the little kids. It's too dangerous. But, with skiing and snowboarding it can be fun and safe.

I don't know how insurance costs work, I'm sure insurance companies must analyze the risk of both activities and create premiums based on this data. I'd guess they don't have as much data on mountain biking and are over-charging to play it safe. Regardless of estimate insurance per person could easily be more expensive in the summer just due to the reduced number of people that bike.

Regardless, I am all for N* building as much as possible for the summer. I'd really like to see them invest more time in the trails. I'd like to see some smoother faster trails with some well defined jumps and drops, long rock rolls and other more "sculpted" or man-made features. I don't really give two poops about their snow park.

Btw do we even know if it will be open this summer?

Glad you liked the footnotes!
Winter budget is huge.......allowing for insurance and lawsuits. The bike park is an afterthought. When they say "too dangerous" what they mean is "we haven't budgeted for the litigation/insurance".
That's the answer I've always been given.

A buddy of mine is on their trail crew and they started getting busy a few months ago. So yeah.......looks like they'll be open.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Benton. I'm with Woo on this. Yeah I've banged myself up biking... But I've done much worse snowboarding. I think you are absolutely ridiculous thinking more people get injured biking vs. snow sports.

Do you ski or snowboard? If you did, you'd have a better perspective of snow related injuries.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Benton. I'm with Woo on this. Yeah I've banged myself up biking... But I've done much worse snowboarding. I think you are absolutely ridiculous thinking more people get injured biking vs. snow sports.

Do you ski or snowboard? If you did, you'd have a better perspective of snow related injuries.
I'm with woo too.

I constantly have small scrapes and bruises from biking, but I've gotten way worse from snowboarding. I attribute the increase in injuries to going way faster, and doing way bigger jumps, as well as falling on rails.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Whereas avalanches in a groomed terrain park are really a sleeper threat that I think goes largely undiscussed.

Shame really.
Yes, there are tons of avalanches in terrain parks. They go unnoticed because most resorts quickly make them into jumps.

I was also nearly taken out by one.