Quantcast

New NICOLAI Website for 2007

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I like how their full sus tandem is described as "Freeride Tandem"

Could you imagine riding a skinny or hitting a drop on someting like that?

What's with the difference in gboxx sizes between their all mountain frame and their dh frame? taller gears in the all mountain?

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
They produce a huge variation of frames... how much do they cost? It seems pretty inefficient to have 4 downhill frames rather then get one or two good designs to gain some economies of scale.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
They produce a huge variation of frames... how much do they cost? It seems pretty inefficient to have 4 downhill frames rather then get one or two good designs to gain some economies of scale.
They have 3 DH specific frames: TST evo, M-Pire and Lambda.

They've been making the Lamba for several years now so they really only have 2 frames that are main contenders.

But they do have a lot of frames from regular short travel XC to long travel FR.

All expensive!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Yeah 7 G's is outrageous but i would love to rock that frame.:busted:

At $2 K they would sell em like hot cakes

They sold about 60 G-boxx bikes last year is what I heard. Dont quote me on that. I agree if the price was lower, they would sell. Even if they were in the $3k-4k range.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
There is nothing even close on that frame to justifying 7 grand.
Says person without manufacturing expertise. :brow:

Expensive no doubt but look into the details and it actualy makes a lot of sense, but we know there is no convincing you regardless of the whole story. What they need to do is make a no frills, ultra simple to produce G-Boxx DH bike that lowers the price by a few K. Then perhaps normal people can afford them. Even still, it would be made in that type of manufacturing enviroment, so it will still be considered 'expensive' to most, and a 'bargan' to some.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Riiiiight. A squirrel with a head injury needs about ---><---- that much expertise in manufacturing to realize that any bike frame, unless the thing is made of gods scrotum, should not cost 7600 US. ;):)

Admittedly its a nice looking frame for sure, some serious machine work and nicely put together. But gimme a break. 7600? Thats a joke, and the biggest "You have to pay to be cool like us" gouge ever. There is simply no other explanation, no matter what "the whole story" is. And its not against the company either, anyone else that did something like that owuld get the same critique.

The rest of the line seems much more reasonable, and dialed. The UFO is ridiculously sexy. Both of them actually. Helius ST too. Mmm.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
the euro is rather strong compared to the weak dollar at the moment... that could be a big part of the "problem" with that price.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
the euro is rather strong compared to the weak dollar at the moment... that could be a big part of the "problem" with that price.
that's a huge part of it....I remember buying my frame and then less than 3 months later the people who waited had to pay almost 50% more. The dollare is getting it's arse kicked right now. Now that I'm in Canada it's even worse. I do think that if the G-boxx frames could come in at or under $4000 they would sell more. I would by another one if I could get it for around $3500-3750 totally worth it IMO....D

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Agreed. The tech has its place for sure, but the price of it is just ridiculous. If it was 4gs, I would't complain. But when you convert it on XE.com, its over 8600 CAD!!!!

crazy.

Somebody gimme a UFO.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
What they need to do is make a no frills, ultra simple to produce G-Boxx DH bike that lowers the price by a few K.
This is exactly why orange is trying ot produce a no frills gearbox bike. At the moment one of each type (vboxx, gboxx). Apparently it will not sell for too much more than the 224 in europe (basically, 224 + price of gearbox).

Of course, by the time it is imported to Canada the price will still be absurd. It will be one of the cheapest gearbox bikes on the market if you live in the UK and possibly the rest of Europe however.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
i dunno what u all have? we europeans have always the highest price. a product what sells in your country for 100$ will be always 100eur or higher..
also the loans in germany a very high, these bikes are 100% made in germany. u not only pay the frame, u also pay the costs of the whole g-boxx developement...