Quantcast

New Octane One Void

Andy_c

Chimp
Sep 22, 2010
Australia (not Austria)
So, I have all the gear and no idea. At the moment...
New street/jump/dirt bike. A few things I'd change on it (rear brake cable too long etc). But this is initial build. I'm pleased! :D
Comments?

p.s. Yes, that's a 203mm rotor on dropouts & QR :eek:. Already damned to hell so no trouble there, and it's what I had to hand. We'll see how we go in terms of faith in my bike's ability to not kill me, but at least I got a bolt through QR spindle.

Andy_c

Chimp
Sep 22, 2010
Australia (not Austria)
Delete? You mean different forks or tidy up the logos?
Certainly they're probably a bit soft for most, but the flip side is that I can open them up for a bit more travel if I go do some light dh. Opinions welcome if you reckon totally inappropriate!

Andy_c

Chimp
Sep 22, 2010
Australia (not Austria)
Yah, seat needs to be lower too for that, have a cut down seat post to go in for that once I've mastered some of the basics of street/dirt. Essentially, I'm an old goat XC rider, so manualling etc is an enigma to me. This bike will live at work so I can do lunchtime thrashes around the back streets.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Delete? You mean different forks or tidy up the logos?
Certainly they're probably a bit soft for most, but the flip side is that I can open them up for a bit more travel if I go do some light dh. Opinions welcome if you reckon totally inappropriate!
I threw a Tora on for a quick replacement when my Argyle's seals blew. Cracked the arch in just a couple rides at the jumps. I don't case or flat land btw.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC

It'll crack in one of those two places. That arch isn't super stiff and that right angle joint makes it unable to disperse the torsional stress form bottom out, cornering, etc.

Andy_c

Chimp
Sep 22, 2010
Australia (not Austria)
Bummer!
Well, they're on there for now, have to see how I go with them then. Luckily I'm certainly in the newbie camp at the moment so will likely do me for a season or two...
Cheers for the heads up though, I'll keep an eye on them for that.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Bummer!
Well, they're on there for now, have to see how I go with them then. Luckily I'm certainly in the newbie camp at the moment so will likely do me for a season or two...
Cheers for the heads up though, I'll keep an eye on them for that.
Does not hurt to try it,especially if you already had it, just keep checking it, because when/if it snaps, it may not feel too good.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Now granted, I have never seen them fully break. But I have seen a crack go almost all the way through. It will start to creak a little when it does crack.

Andy_c

Chimp
Sep 22, 2010
Australia (not Austria)
Cheers. Truly I've no guts for this (yet) so for a couple of years they'll do for stairs and minor drop-offs I think, regular inspections will be the drill...

Did also google around the subject and didn't find anything glaring - but take your comments as they come so thanks for that.