Quantcast

New Pivot DH bike

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I can't quite point out anything that would make me want to change it.
Are you a dentist by any chance?
The #1 reason to not ride Pivot is the fact that MBA likes them, like reaaaally likes them. Likes them as much as they do like Nevegals. And Specialized BRAIN. And 29-ers. And....
Maybe a close second is that their team riders destroy rental cars. Maybe not.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Tough crowd.

Maybe it's a case of "ignorance is bliss" since I tend not to try a lot of different bikes and I keep my bikes for a long time, but I must say I find my Mach5.7c to be a great bike. I can't quite point out anything that would make me want to change it.
Well apparently it's going to fail catastrophically any minute. :o

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Are you a dentist by any chance?
The #1 reason to not ride Pivot is the fact that MBA likes them, like reaaaally likes them. Likes them as much as they do like Nevegals. And Specialized BRAIN. And 29-ers. And....
Maybe a close second is that their team riders destroy rental cars. Maybe not.
Haha! No, I'm not. Playing in fetid drool all day fixing rotten and crooked teeth is gross, no matter how good the paycheck could be. Also, my bike doesn't have any Enve rims on it, so if that's not a proof that I'm not a dentist, I don't know what you need.:brows:

Reason #1 for me was that it was the bike I wanted from the choices I had at my lbs.

Regarding the rental car stuff, I'm pretty sure I remember an episode of This is Peaty where they abuse a rental van as well. Maybe it's a GB thing?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Because barring their dh bike, sucking donkey dick in the ride quality department may have something to do with it.
Out of curiosity, does the suck extend past the fucked up geometry? I've never ridden one because I looked at the geo numbers and knew I'd hate it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Out of curiosity, does the suck extend past the fucked up geometry? I've never ridden one because I looked at the geo numbers and knew I'd hate it.
Geo is part of it. Blowing through travel (sorry, "plush") has a lot to do with it too.

I'm not one of those nuts that thinks longer front ends are the be all end all of bike sizing (because stability comes from within :D) but even I think those mach6 frames just have a weird, steep, way too forward feel to them.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Geo is part of it. Blowing through travel (sorry, "plush") has a lot to do with it too.

I'm not one of those nuts that thinks longer front ends are the be all end all of bike sizing (because stability comes from within :D) but even I think those mach6 frames just have a weird, steep, way too forward feel to them.
Sure. I think long front ends are generally a good thing, particularly on stuff you're going to pedal, but they aren't fucking magic. I really like my DHR even if it's sorta short by current standards. I'm also 6' tall but proportioned like a chimpanzee, which makes me a particularly good use case for a short seat tube/long front end. But the Pivots are whack. They don't publish reach/stack numbers (because of course they don't), but the XL Mach 6 has a shorter ETT than my medium Megatroll (which, yeah, is the longest medium ever, I realize), despite having a slacker seat tube angle. That's really fucking short. Shit, the XL Mach 6 has exactly the same wheelbase as my BTR, which is size large a 26" wheeled hardtail with a 120mm travel fork. That's dumb.

Last edited:

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
All I know about Pivot is I've never met a nice owner. They're all pretentious and act like I don't know bikes just because I am either on an evil uprising or a transition patrol. It's true...my taste in bikes suck. As far as dentist bikes, here in utah it's all about santa cruz! It's the most common bike I see around. so many of them with enve wheels and full xtr. all super slow riders too

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
fuck stereotypes.

two of the strongest, fastest, and most different-style riders i hang with ride nomads. neither on enves.

however, a most humble vet in the local crew rides a pivot.

i guess i need to meet more dentists?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
All I know about Pivot is I've never met a nice owner. They're all pretentious and act like I don't know bikes just because I am either on an evil uprising or a transition patrol. It's true...my taste in bikes suck. As far as dentist bikes, here in utah it's all about santa cruz! It's the most common bike I see around. so many of them with enve wheels and full xtr. all super slow riders too
Sounds like an awesome second hand market.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Naah it's just me being dumb and not reading properly. I see it now. Though I thought mach 6 was liked.
kidwoo is one guy with very particular tastes. he probably got smoked by a guy on a mach6 one day :D

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Pivots actually have decent enough suspension, the 5.7C has a bit too much end stroke digression (still works pretty good with a Fox + Corset) but the 6C has pretty nice suspension curves all round. Not sure where the blowing through travel thing came from, but they're way better than VPP for example. I think as a general rule, any bike with DW suspension is "pretty good" on all fronts, they're rarely going to be terrible at anything suspension-wise. Unfortunately things like geometry and construction are someone else's responsibility.

If you happen to be short enough to fit one and have one without durability issues, I think they're pretty good bikes.

@FlipSide We're just being RM and ripping on everything ever made, ever, as always. :)

#RZR Nick

Chimp
May 30, 2016
San Diego, CA
Would I be a kook if I built this new Phoenix as a trail bike/ DH bike? I just came back from riding Whistler on a rental V10, and my 2015 Nomad feels like an XC bike. I want a little slice of Whistler every time I ride.

It's dropper post ready, could build 31lbs, but being 6'3" will almost ensure I wont get full seat height extension.... I seldom ride more than 20 miles at a time.

The Nomad was awesome, until I remembered how fun a DH bike was (old washed up DH racer).....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Get some suspension upgrades for your Nomad. Unless Whistler relocates to San Diego, or you are riding DH at least every other weekend, it's hard to justify a DH bike, but suspension upgrades like Avalanche Chubbie/Woodie, Push 11-6, Avy cart for front fork, can blow your mind and take your bike way past what you thought it was capable of/limited to.

#RZR Nick

Chimp
May 30, 2016
San Diego, CA
Not meant to adapt, but:

-170mm Reverb
-+75* headset cups
-X2 lockout switch
-SA is 71.8 (not bad)

Yea it would still be a slug it slow trails, but at 31lb it wont be awful. My buddies new Wreckoning is 33lb.

I just spent 3 days in Whistler on a new V10, and I was impressed with the 64* HA, short axle to crown and stack height make the bike feel zippy in the tight single track, and still burly for SCHLEYER and some of the double blacks. I dropped the forks (to rake it out) a little more and didn't prefer it as much.

It was the first DH bike I've ridden in 5 years, and I was impressed with how spunky it was, mostly due to the lightweight and geo.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Not meant to adapt, but:

-170mm Reverb
-+75* headset cups
-X2 lockout switch
-SA is 71.8 (not bad)

Yea it would still be a slug it slow trails, but at 31lb it wont be awful. My buddies new Wreckoning is 33lb.

I just spent 3 days in Whistler on a new V10, and I was impressed with the 64* HA, short axle to crown and stack height make the bike feel zippy in the tight single track, and still burly for SCHLEYER and some of the double blacks. I dropped the forks (to rake it out) a little more and didn't prefer it as much.

It was the first DH bike I've ridden in 5 years, and I was impressed with how spunky it was, mostly due to the lightweight and geo.
This was a novel idea years ago, and an idea for Novel today with low / slack trailbikes securing a hold of the DH segment.
DH bikes are not someone's private label trailbike. But they do have two wheels so, there ya go...