Quantcast

New PNW Downhill series - "The Fluidride Cup"

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
Note: Not an official press release, but enough is sorted to leak a blurb here.

We're working on the dates for the 2008 Fluidride Cup now.

Downhill and Dual Slalom at each race.

Partnerships with Petr Kakes of Ski Bowl, and the ODS in PA is confirmed!

We'll try not to conflict with MSC's, Norbas, WC's etc.

6 or 7 races, one a month, March/April - Sept.

2 venues guaranteed. Mt. Hood Or. and Port Angeles Wa. for sure. With a possible 7th race at a third venue.

Overall series awards. Guaranteed Pro purses to at least the equivalent of the current Ski Bowl payout. Massive Raffle at each event.

Hurricane Racing will perform the timing for all events.

Race series site will be up at Fluidride soon.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
wow, this season is going to be good in the PNW, beacon, 5 hood races and 6 fluidride races. Even though im moving back in the summer which is towards the end of the season, ill get more races in than ever before because we have so many of them!

beacon still state cahmpionships?
and dry hill PA for races?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
finally got Petr to build a slalom again eh? I've been bugging him to and even offered to help build it; he lost all of his slalom racers when he went to the dual. Sounds like a killer series.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
finally got Petr to build a slalom again eh? I've been bugging him to and even offered to help build it; he lost all of his slalom racers when he went to the dual. Sounds like a killer series.
He hasn't built anything YET, I think. I think Ski Bowl would be better as a 4X. Its wide open enough. People would line the course. Have it start at where the Sport and Beginner course leaves the road turn. That way its only 1 ski lift up. Not that far to walk for all the fans who want to see the starts, or better yet, just a short ride up the lift for the DH racers who want watch the starts.Easy tow by vehicle up the road for the starting gates. They would also be out of the way easily for DH practice.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
He hasn't built anything YET, I think. I think Ski Bowl would be better as a 4X. Its wide open enough. People would line the course. Have it start at where the Sport and Beginner course leaves the road turn. That way its only 1 ski lift up. Not that far to walk for all the fans who want to see the starts, or better yet, just a short ride up the lift for the DH racers who want watch the starts.Easy tow by vehicle up the road for the starting gates. They would also be out of the way easily for DH practice.
I think the numbers will be larger with slalom than 4x.....I raced both the dual and slalom when Hood had them and being on the same course on that hill is scary. The hill is pretty steep and there were some fast sections. I think he should start it where the old dual course started, short walk off the intermediate point on the lift and still high enough up the mountain to have a course that is fairly long.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Oh well. I know for my cousin who ran the MSC the last 4 years, 4X was more popular. It got more of a crossover amount into it.
I guess Kitner won't be there, darn.
PA already has a nice 4X course.
Atkinson and Kitner where there 2 years ago.

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
Historically, slalom has been more popular that 4X. I think there are several reasons for this. In 4X you could get eliminated in the first round and be done, whereas in slalom you get at least 2 runs (one on each course). Plus, it is much easier to build a fun and challenging slalom course than it is to build a good 4X course. A lot of the 4X courses I have ridden were not at all fun to ride, much less race. I am personally partial to 4X because of my BMX background, but I think slalom is a better test of rider skills. Both are fun and I can't wait for next season!

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
I'm hoping this is a "TEST/WARM-UP" for Fluidride to run a Washington State series in 2009 when Snoqualmie and Stevens Pass get there acts together.

Tapps

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
Yes so stoked. I really missed a local series and I hardly know any of the Washington riders anymore. So maybe now I can get to know the locals again.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Man Im gettin sick of livin in NYC when the rest of the fam lives in the PNW!
waaah..

Im workin on it....

I WILL RACE YOU ALL! (I didn't say I'd win! (or did I??) )

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
slaylem sounds fun, now you all wish you had pump track in your backyards too
slaylem, are you aussie now or something?

And i agree with whoever said it would be sick to have a series invovling which ever ski opens first whether it be stevens or snoqualmie. That would be really nice to have a series either an hour away or 1 hr 30 min away.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Eren, Not at either or, but at both. Every 2 weeks at 1 of the 2 resorts, alternating at which one.
I.E, July 8th Stevens, July 22nd Snoqualmie, Aug. 5th Stevens.... So on. That way you have 1 week between races, and its not the same course every weekend. It would give the course alittle break. Get maybe 3 or 4 races at each. Add a PA in there somewhere and also Beacon Twice. Maybe the 1st race at Beacon, since the "Otherside" of the mountains is dryer earlier.
That way it could be a 9 race series, which you MUST race atleast 7 races? No 7 races, no point series champ, plus best 7 races count for series?

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
Eren, Not at either or, but at both. Every 2 weeks at 1 of the 2 resorts, alternating at which one.
I.E, July 8th Stevens, July 22nd Snoqualmie, Aug. 5th Stevens.... So on. That way you have 1 week between races, and its not the same course every weekend. It would give the course alittle break. Get maybe 3 or 4 races at each. Add a PA in there somewhere and also Beacon Twice. Maybe the 1st race at Beacon, since the "Otherside" of the mountains is dryer earlier.
That way it could be a 9 race series, which you MUST race atleast 7 races? No 7 races, no point series champ, plus best 7 races count for series?
that would be awesome, but i wouldnt have 7 races :disgust1:

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
That was my plan, hopefully I could beat atleast you.....J/K
I have nothing to do with any of this. It just my 2 cents. My cousin Eric used to run Cycle Cyndicate in Aurora, CO. He put on the last WC event in the US. Did REALLY well with his company and then sold it to Yeti Cycles. I ask him about what would it take to get a series going here in WA.
He raced at Crystal Mtn in 1996, so he knows of the area. Also, Boyne resorts bought Snoqualmie Pass this last summer. They already have a Lift assisted MTN bike resort in Michigan, where the Family is from.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I didn't race downhill this summer, but with this series I'll be racing next year....I look forward to it. I'll get some use out of my tazer as well

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Schweitzer hasn't had a race there since Harbor, Frosty and Team Big Bear stole the third NORBA Nat out from under Round and Round.

Every year on their summer web site they brag about having lift-assisted mountain biking but, really, they have none.

Honestly, between Silver and now Tamarack we don't need Schweitzer.