Quantcast

New race idea - feedback appreciated

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
We are working on getting SOME kind of gravity event going in Spokane for this season. What we 're aiming for is something DHers, MTX-ers and even people with long-legged trailbikes might want to try. It would go something like this:

A not-so-technical Dh-like course ribboned off as wide as a MTX course, hopefully at least 2 minutes in length. No perfectly-groomed bermed corners or built-up jumps, but maybe some small drop-offs, etc, then run races 4-up. Practice Sat./race Sun. The only one timed run would be Sun. a.m. to set seeding, then the rest is bracketed 4-up head-to-head with heats/semis/mains to sift out the final four. Think of it as an old-skool motorcycle rough-scrambles on a hillside. I envision this as a high-speed handlebar-bangin' any-line-to-the-bottom race. Would you folks from the west side come over for a race like this?

We are in the planning stages of putting on such a race possibly at Beacon, if we can find enough open terrain to mark out a course. There are a couple other venues around Spokane we are scoping out as well.

Let us know what you think.

Milton Burl

Chimp
Jan 12, 2006
Issaquompton
I think it could be fun. However, I dont see alot of people coming over for such a race, but I could be wrong. Also, the people that dont like bike trails everywhere, will definately oppose a 20' wide trail top to bottom. If you are going for a big turnout, you will have better luck with a classic DH race.....my opinion. I will come over either way.
Zeb

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
2 minutes is long for a mtnx course. Keep it about a minute max - especially if you're going through qualifiers/quarters/semis/main. I would be up for a mtnx race, but I think I'm in the minority. Most will want to do a dh race. If you can do a short DS race - you may get some interest too.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
We're trying to keep it simple and a bit "out of the box." Especially from a timing standpoint - hence, the head-to-head instead of individual timed runs. As for length, keep in mind we're not talking a big-feature-infested MTX or DH courses. Think motocross on mountain bikes - - 70s-style when they used to go out and string up banners and snow fence and the day's racing defined the course and lines.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
I wouldn't.
Not trying to be negative, but MTX is not me bag. Especially an exceptionally long one.
The concept is fun in the snow and I would do a few of those a year if they were around, but crashing on the dirt is not fun.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
MinorThreat said:
We are working on getting SOME kind of gravity event going in Spokane for this season. What we 're aiming for is something DHers, MTX-ers and even people with long-legged trailbikes might want to try. It would go something like this:

A not-so-technical Dh-like course ribboned off as wide as a MTX course, hopefully at least 2 minutes in length. No perfectly-groomed bermed corners or built-up jumps, but maybe some small drop-offs, etc, then run races 4-up. Practice Sat./race Sun. The only one timed run would be Sun. a.m. to set seeding, then the rest is bracketed 4-up head-to-head with heats/semis/mains to sift out the final four. Think of it as an old-skool motorcycle rough-scrambles on a hillside. I envision this as a high-speed handlebar-bangin' any-line-to-the-bottom race. Would you folks from the west side come over for a race like this?

We are in the planning stages of putting on such a race possibly at Beacon, if we can find enough open terrain to mark out a course. There are a couple other venues around Spokane we are scoping out as well.

Let us know what you think.
Sounds perfect to me, I'd love to hit it up! Two minutes sounds great!:thumb::trophy_br:looney:
But I don't think I'd be up for the six hour drive from Portland.
There are lots of people who aren't into "RACING", they'd rather wait and look at results to see if they rode well.:rolleyes::oink::nopity:

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
I think a harescramble/4X race setup would be a bit strange. I think any sort of DH race would be nice. I've been outta the game for a while, but who puts on DH races in WA state anymore now that Round and Round quit doing them? It would be awesome if some of us westsiders could get something going on Galbraith, that would be sick.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
How about a 20 person lemans start downhill with weapons? First one down alive wins. Side to side combat with 20 riders would be cool. Make funnels where everyone has to try to fit through..... make the weapons sharp and rusty too for good measure......

(I'm obviously kidding.... or am I?)

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
That's probably what it sounds like to some people, judging by the mixed reaction it's getting so far. Maybe I'm too much of a masochist - - I thought racing indoor short track was exhilarating.

A beer race!!

8 people at a time, a six pack at the bottom. Last two down get eliminated, the first six get a beer and advance to next round. By the time you get the final, whoever is left should have a good buzz going, making for a very entertaining finale!!!

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
What if there was a traditional DH at Beacon with no shuttle and the price was only, say, $25?

It's not cheap to rent those giant motorized coffins, the road sucks and it's always a hassle to find some poor bastard to drive all day. Not to mention from a liability standpoint..the "what ifs" always scared the $hit out of me! Plus a fair amount of guys already push up the hill anyways.

Would people be willing to do it to save some money, or would all that pushing just kill you and no energy left to ride?:nuts:

Just curious.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
I like the overall idea. Something out of the box, not quite Dh, not quite 4x. The longer race would be sweet. As for the shuttle...lower entrance prices are always better and real men (and any women who are entering these things) can hike up anyway. I know that beacon has been a great location thus far but since this i a new event a new venue might be considered. How about one of the passes. If steven's or snoqualmie would be willing to cooperate we might avoid clearing new trails, and who knows, maybe we would have our very own whistler before too long. In one of the forums somebody was making noises about the ORV park in Olympia possibly opening up for biking. locations like that would be pretty sweet. If I can help pull this together let me know.
Cheers

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Shuttle-less is definitely what we were thinking…at least Tim and I were. Gino wasn't so sure . . . thought there might be too many whiners. But, hey, I've probably pushed up 10 times for each time I've gagged dust in the box van. Every local pushes it all the time to ride up there anyway.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
bent^biker said:
Why not up at one of the passes?
Because as it stands right now, neither one of them want to have anything to do with Mountain Biking and summer ops in general. But there was thread awhile back about some rumblings at Snoqualmie.

This thread is about folks from the east side trying to throw something together on the east side. And wanting to know what it will take to have a good turnout. Beacon is one of the few places in Wa State that you could actually have a full on legal event and it's a fun place to ride/race. Shame for that to go to waste! It will be interesting to see what plays out.:cool:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
PsychO!1 said:
A beer race!!

8 people at a time, a six pack at the bottom. Last two down get eliminated, the first six get a beer and advance to next round. By the time you get the final, whoever is left should have a good buzz going, making for a very entertaining finale!!!
I'm all over that!!!.....I think the more "proven" athletes have a better chance (read: The ones with the guts hangin' over the belts and the liver that smells like pickles...) I'm soooooo in!!!!!!

On Topic: I'd be down for driving to Spoke-a-mo for an event like that. 2 minutes of hell sounds like fun....even if elimination strikes in the first round, it would still be fun. Pushing is part of the DH mantra, so no issues with me....:cool:

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Secret Squirrel said:
I'm all over that!!!.....I think the more "proven" athletes have a better chance (read: The ones with the guts hangin' over the belts and the liver that smells like pickles...) I'm soooooo in!!!!!!

On Topic: I'd be down for driving to Spoke-a-mo for an event like that. 2 minutes of hell sounds like fun....even if elimination strikes in the first round, it would still be fun. Pushing is part of the DH mantra, so no issues with me....:cool:
I don't want to be lined up next to you - I'm a little guy - you're like 6'5"+ and probably out weigh me by at least 100.....oh, hey what bike are you going to be on?

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
bent^biker said:
In one of the forums somebody was making noises about the ORV park in Olympia possibly opening up for biking. locations like that would be pretty sweet. If I can help pull this together let me know.
Cheers

ORV Areas are closed to bicycles?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
PsychO!1 said:
A beer race!!

I tried that with Golf once.

There was 4 of us and they wanted to be competive with my buddy(Shawn) and I (we are hacks). So the deal was winning duo of the hole would do a shot each. The idea would be that the alcohal would be a great equilizer and we would all be drunk by the end of 18 holes. :D

Well after hole 4 they (Greg and Devin) accused my Shawn and I of playing poorly on purpose (sorry I suck :thumb: ) lol. They stopped playing after that....then started heckling me and my sucky duffs off the tee.

So I set up on the tee box of the 5th fairway and swung as hard as I could not caring where it went.....

....well I just caught it on the toe of my driver and sent it almost purpendicular into my Greg's (his parents) golf cart, just grazing his head, and though the plexi glass window...............

Then it politely bounced down the cart path just past the ladies tee like my normal tee box shots. :D

Now Greg sat at the drivers seat of the cart for about 15 seconds before he even blinked. He said he felt the wind off the ball move his hair. I could have killed him! I replaced the windsheild, and it was worth every penny. They shut up about my sorry game after that, and parked behind me on the tee box ever since.

Rhino "worst golfer ever" from WA

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Tootrikky said:
ORV Areas are closed to bicycles?
He might be talking about the old Thurston County/Grays Harbour ORV park (MX track and other facilities) I think it is called Straddline or somthing like that now.

Yes it is closed, and wanting to open.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Five said:
I don't want to be lined up next to you - I'm a little guy - you're like 6'5"+ and probably out weigh me by at least 100.....oh, hey what bike are you going to be on?
LOL!! Yep...that's 'bout right..... Umm...well, insurance company willing, I should end up with a new RL 9 (Full race kit) in Rotec Orange!! And an X-tra Large FR/Enduro bike, a la Nomad, 6-Pack, etc...

I'm going to go looking here in a few on the web and then prolly talk to a few shops around the area about what they've seen work for my particular build and application.

As soon as I get em built, I'll post piccy's.....

Cause otherwise I'll get this:

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
Yeah, the old Thurston county ORV park. Are there others around that are ridable? Whats holding that one back from being opened?