Quantcast

New redesign of the 2008 Giant Maestro bikes!

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Here's a pic of what the new Maestro bikes are going to look like.

This pic is of the new Trance X1, which has 5 inches of travel, 1.5 pounds lighter, slacker, lower, etc.

Apparently the other models will have a similar look. I like the look of my 2007 Reign X1, but these new ones are supposed to be a lot lighter, and the new shock mounting looks cleaner.

Anyone have pics of what the 2008 Glory and Reign X bikes are looking like? Apparently they already started shipping the new Reigns.

Attachments

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
Fulgy? Yes!

Although it looks nice to have it lighter, simpler, and can actually fit on a standard front triangle bike rack.

Another pic.
Maybe even uglier than a Nomad. IH one Giant zero. If you're gonna straight up knock stuff off you better bring heavy style to the table.

Pce,

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
It looks a little like the new Rocky Mountain... aesthetically that is. I know the suspension is totally different so don't flame away. Any pics of the new Glory?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Why is it that every single new bike coming out now-a-days is a hydroformed piece of disgusting?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Because they can be built lighter and stronger? By manipulating tubes you end up with a more functional bike.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Because they can be built lighter and stronger? By manipulating tubes you end up with a more functional bike.
I'm not stupid. But for the most part it is done for aesthetics (or lack thereof). Giant's bikes are all hydroformed and they aren't any lighter than in the past. My faith is a hydroformed abortion and it weighs over 13lbs for the frame and shock.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Gonna be hard to beat this beauty!

Although, like I said, if it weighs less and rides better, I could care less how it looks! It's not like I look at my bike while riding, eh?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
yup, i doubt they could do much to improve the looks of the X0/X1s. i realized that the reason the new trance is so ugly is they took away the hole that the shock used to fit into, i believe somebody referred to it as the glory hole. i think that the hole actually worked just fine, and it gave the bikes a clean but distinct look. as long as that mud flap on the front stayed intact, the shock was well protected from all sides. i hope they keep it on the reign X series and glory, but it could also be interesting to see if they could possibly come up with something even better (which is highly doubtful). I like Giants now though, I kinda really want a Glory and a Reign X0.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
yup, i doubt they could do much to improve the looks of the X0/X1s. i realized that the reason the new trance is so ugly is they took away the hole that the shock used to fit into, i believe somebody referred to it as the glory hole. i think that the hole actually worked just fine, and it gave the bikes a clean but distinct look. as long as that mud flap on the front stayed intact, the shock was well protected from all sides. i hope they keep it on the reign X series and glory, but it could also be interesting to see if they could possibly come up with something even better (which is highly doubtful). I like Giants now though, I kinda really want a Glory and a Reign X0.
I've been studying how they could possibly run the Reign and Glory bikes with the same shock setup. It just won't work, IMO.

The glory hole version provides low COG, and perfects the leverage ratios, along with giving more room on top for a lower standover.

If they took those long shocks and put them into the new style, it would screw up everything that makes the Reign X1/0 so awesome. Show me another 6.7 inch travel bike that has as low of a COG and 28.5 inch standover!

It would be cool if they kept the glory hole, and used the hydroforming to lighten up the other parts.

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
I've only ridden my 07 Reign XO a couple of time so far but, now that it is set up properly, i love it. It'll be interesting to see what Giant has up their sleeves for 08.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Looks like giant is trying to copy the iron horse 6 point look, definatly like the old giant better.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I know! Just beautiful!

Giant really knows what the consumers want. Great company!

Ohh and the 08 X1 models are going for $2,500! Way better bike for the price than an SXT.
imo, also a better suspension system, better looking frame, and lower center of gravity.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
imo, also a better suspension system, better looking frame, and lower center of gravity.
Should also mention, strength!

I have yet to see or hear of a single Reign X bike cracking or breaking. I even know of people who ride full out FR on theirs. No creaks, no breaks, just solid.

I've seen a few UBER creaky ass SXT frames (not old either), and one with cracks and snapped chain stay.

SXT's are nice frames, but other than adjustable geometry, I see no advantage over the Reign.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Has the regular reign changed? Man I hope not that trance teh suck (first time i've ever used teh haha)