Quantcast

New Ride - Intense Socom

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I have it directly from our intense rep that unlike the spider and 5.5 FRO, the socom is covered by the same 2 year warranty as all the other intense's. The FRO designation is to makes sure that buyers know this is a race bike and if you want to jump off stuff you should look at the uzzi or the M3.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
i typed up a big response, but i can summerize it in just a few words.

no a lighter bike wont bring a sport level rider to the top of a pro podium, but a quick rider will definitely benefit from a lighter bike in alot of situations; often times shaving off enough time to get up there.

i'll agree with you about wheelsets, rotational weight is important, but we dont all need beefy parts.

i'm no hack. i definitely think i could run that frame all season without any problems racing in atleast 20 Jr X races.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
who pays retail for bikes anyways these days.
That's beside the point, intense costs more than most brands on the market - and you don't pay retail on any of those either.

Like C.D i'd also have big doubts about an 8.5lb frame lasting from a company that can barely build an 11lb frame right.

I disagree that rotating weight is the only weight that matters, I love a light frame and if you can make them lighter i'm all for it - but durability is a bigger factor. When i'm spending $xxxx on a frame, I too like to get 2-3 seasons out of it at least.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Beautiful , that may the nicest bike ever posted on here.......i'd swap the Boxxer for an 888 Air though, could adjust ride-height then.....

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
:greedy:
I want one !

Buy a Socom for $xxxx.xx
Quit work & drive to Whistler or somewhere dry & ride for two weeks...
How the hell can we all make that happen:bonk: :bonk:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
How do they define "jumping of stuff"?
hucking to flat.

Intense knows damn well jumping is part of DH racing. They just don't build socom's for hucking and hacks

That bike is tits. If ya'll think its too sketchy, don't buy one, it that easy!

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Well, my assumption since they've had people ride their bikes in world cup races would be that they understand the punishment that normal dh racing entails.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Since I prolly can't afford to let go (or won't part ways) of my MPire, and get a Socom, I think the frame is ugly...

..for now atleast.

Good thing it's available in 150mm rear spacing.

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
That bike would rip if it came in Root Beer and had like 3 more inches of travel, and was a little burlier.

Actually, I like it - but I'm not sure I could justify it when my bike weighs 40 pounds and can take a beating. Seems a little too purpose built for me, like the IH 6 Point. Great bikes no doubt, but not sure where it fits with my riding.:disgust:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I think the Socom is one of the coolest frames out there.

Sure, there are some concerns about durability, but at least Intense is being up front about it (FRO!) and they are still making the M3.

Plus, does the Socom actually weigh less than some of the other light DH/FR frames out there? I know that Intense doesn't have the best durability record, but I don't hear many people talking about breaking their Orange 224s in two. 8.5 (or whatever it is) is light, but there are other durable frames near that weight.