Quantcast

new ride ???

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
I'm looking to get into downhill and/or freeride:happydance:, but im not sure how often I will get to do it. I am looking at getting an okay bike for under $1500 maybe more if I can build it myself. I found an iron horse yakuza kumicho...it looked decent. I would upgrade things after I break them. I would prefer to have something steel. and with a coil rear spring. the rest I don't know about. what would you recommend I do? thank you.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Not sure what they're called over there, but here in Oz, they're called an Avanti D8 or KeeWee cromozone or toze.
Shoould suit your needs.
A BMW Racelink would be perfect but probably over your budget.

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
I want something that can take a big hit, without snapping. thanks

I cant find any of those bikes... do you know of anywhere I could find one? thanks

oh, I was talking about a brand new one...but if there are used bikes that are in good shape, i am interested. thanks

coopdog

Chimp
Sep 30, 2008
I just bought a new Yakuza Kumicho last month for $1200.00. But haven't been able to ride since we are in full winter mode here in upstate NY. This is my first real DH bike and wanted something inexpensive to start with and see how I like DH. Been riding xc for a long time. The frame and components look real solid and should hold-up and if something breaks I'll replace with something better. The fork is a Marzocchi 888 RV and only has rebound damping adjustment, unlike the more common 888 RCV which has rebound and compression damping adjustment. To keep the price low I quess they had to cut corners somewhere. If the fork isn't right for my weight and riding style I can still fine tune it with different oil levels and weight. Can't wait for my first ride!

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
yeah, definitely let me know how it rides! i'm really interested!

I have been looking at building a set up for under 3,000... thats if I get a new job this week.
I was looking at transition bikes, they look really nice.
are there any other manufacturers you could recommend to me?
thanks