Quantcast

New Rim Choices...Help!

djb

Monkey
Apr 6, 2006
VanCity
Ok, so I'm building up a new bike for myself, and I've come to the rim choices...I haven't really ridden in about 3 years, so I'm not sure what decent rims are available. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'll be riding freeride, as well as some DJ probably. Here's some that I've liked so far...

Mavic DeeTracks
Mavic EX 729
Sun Mag30
Sun MTX

Any other suggestion's would be great as well. They'll be laced to Saint hubs.
Cheers

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well the Deetracks are great for a non-deemax priced wheelset. I'll give them that one!

If you're not smooth but will be doing alot of FR/DJ'ing the best rim you have listed is probably the EX729 OR you could go with the EX721. They have great track records, have both been working well for DH/FR/DJ whatever you want to throw at them, and are easy to get a hold of and such.

As far as Sun stuff goes the MAG30 and MTX are their DH rims. Something like an S-type or Singletrack might be more freeride/DJ but they aren't as strong as say a Mavic rim. The Singletracks hold up OK but if I had a choice I'd go with the EX729/721's.

If you're smooth you can probably get away with any of them, but if you're on the "rough" side I'd stick with something like a 729/MTX type rim.

I have had the 729's, 721's, and Singletracks. All so far have held up pretty well and I'm a big guy (220+lbs) so I can atest for that. Alot depends on your riding style, weight, skill level etc....

You're on the right track though! Mavic/Sun are the big players, DT swiss has some rims as well as Arrow racing. So you atleast have lots of choices :)

djb

Monkey
Apr 6, 2006
VanCity
Yeah, I was going to grab some of the Arrow rims from one of the posts in the BuySell forum, but they never got back to me. I'm pretty light, about 140 lbs (go shortness) so they won't take a huge beating. I like to consider myself a pretty smooth rider, but I've never owned a fully before so we'll see.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
djb said:
Yeah, I was going to grab some of the Arrow rims from one of the posts in the BuySell forum, but they never got back to me. I'm pretty light, about 140 lbs (go shortness) so they won't take a huge beating. I like to consider myself a pretty smooth rider, but I've never owned a fully before so we'll see.
I would recommend the Mavic EX721s. Sun rims in my experience have been softer than Mavics and they tend to get dinged up faster and to a more severe degree. The 721s are a nice compromise between weight and strength and should do you right.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've heard a lot of people absolutely raving about the Sun MTX rims as far as a strength-to-weight ratio goes.

Me, I've had really great experiences with the Sun Rhyno Lite XLs. It's suprising how much abuse a lightweight rim will take if you're careful about keeping the spokes tensioned and the rim true.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
djb said:
Well Arrow makes 2 different DH/FR rims, the FRX and DHX. I've had both so I can give a little insight.

The FRX is more of a light DH/FR rim. If you are smooth and don't weigh much they are similar to a EX721 from Mavic. They don't have eyelets (but thicker near that section) and aren't too shabby. I ran a FRX as a front rim for a while, never had a problem with it.

The DHX is their beefy DH rim. I run these on my M1 because I like to plow over things and I am not that smooth. They are probably some of the strongest rims out there when built right. They do weigh more than anything Mavic has to offer. People still can destory these but they are well known for their strength. I have yet to have an issue with mine besides the basic wheel truing every 6 months. They have been the best wheel investment I've made to date.

BrandonWatts

Monkey
May 4, 2005
raymond, WA
djb said:
yeah i actually bought those rims. i have alway herd really good things about the arrow dhx rims. i would definetly try and get your hands on a set of them.