Quantcast

New roadie

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
So, me being in my super-crack-head, bike buying frenzy that i am in, have bought myself a roadie! :-) I was re-building the old school raliegh from the sixties(and im still going to finish it, just for nastalgic purposes), but went 21st century! I bought a two year old raliegh competition(?.. im feeling retarded cuz i thought that something else was in there with the name?) anyway, its got an upgraded wheel set and components(its at the fire station cuz we have one of those things that you train on!). Its pretty light and really fast!!! especially compared to my one-speed!! lol... but anyway, im officially part roadie now! i still have not bought the spandex yet though... im gonna have to work my way into that!! lol.. i spent $700 and am told that i got a really good deal considering the compnents that are on it!! :-) Dont ask cuz i dont remember whats on it! lol So, im having fun riding it, but im waiting for the neck pain to go away!!! i guess its from being in such a low position and lifting my head up so high to see! OUCH!! im running shimano pedals and my mtn bike shoes though... worse cornering, i know, but im not made of cash and didnt want to buy a new set of shoes yet.... at least my mtn shoes are pretty stiff! so, now i just need to find a group of guys(or girls!!! :-D ) that will ride with me! it'll prolly be a while before i can really keep up with a bunch of folks that ride all the time! lol.... anyway, thought that i would share! :) im having a lot of fun so far!

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Hey man! Welcome!
I too, am a new roadie. I used to do a fair bit back in New Zealand, but just for training for the DH. I've been in France 5 years now and finally got me a road bike to get back into the training.
The thing is, training has never been so much fun! For a downhiller, I love those hard climbs. I live in the mountains, so every ride is a hard climb. Loving it!
I have MTB pedals too for the MTB shoes. Easier that way eh?
Enjoy your new stead mate.

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
thanks! :) lol....... i ordered my jersey today! haha i got a ted nudgent jersey! I ll have to go with the low drag spandex shorts now, right?? :) Went for a 40 mile ride today and the neck pain has not let up and now my a$$ hurts to boot! I just need to stay into it and work the pain out! how long does it take for most folks to get comfortable in this position? maybe im just too buff and my hooge muscles get in da way! lol

Aug 31, 2006
you don't need neck pain. Yes, butt pain is necessary. No, not that pain, nor rash or numbness, but simple muscle and/or bone butt pain is okay and will go away.

Back to the neck... how much lower are your handlebars than your saddle.

I will straight up say that having bars significantly lower than your saddles is absolute fvcking retarded unless you're a pro and your team/trainer said so.

Do NOT adjust your saddle to compensate for your neck. If need be, get a stem-riser to bring your bars up until your core muscles adapt.

as for you being too buff, I searched your posts and yes, you're way to studly so stop it for a while.

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
haha.... ok.... i would say that my bars sit about two inches lower than my seat. It was not AS bad today when i went for a ride, however! so, when you say "signigicantly", what is significant to you? is two inches significant?? oh, and when i say two inches, i mean the top of the bars, of course... not down in the drops.

May I ask what searching my posts has revealed to you? If you took that comment any other way than pure sarcasim....... well, I appollogize..... I guess that sarcasim is hard to detect on the internet! :) thank you for your input... its greatly apprieciated!

Aug 31, 2006
Significant is subjective. I like my bars level with my saddle cuz I like resting my forearms on the tops. It's whatever works for you.

And yes, I knew you were being sarcastic... so was I :)