Quantcast

new shadow cranks

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
they look ok. ive seen them online. they have a one pc back, less welding something or other

Mar 28, 2007
cant say they will attract to many people just beacause of the 2 peice crankarm thing but at least shadow are attempting to bring out new products

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I think it's good to have another option with the 19mm 48spline standard, since no matter how sick the new 2pc cranks (wombolt/fly) are, those spindles don't get any longer if you need a 6" spindle for a wider bb shell... Euro 22mm bearings can suck it anyway, paper thin crap, and it seems to be taking the mtb side of things too long to catch onto the spanish/mid shell upgrade.
I use some fly euro-spanish conversion cups too, so it adds just a bit to the width of the shell overall...
that said, I just picked up some Demolition Medials instead of the torrids.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think it's good to have another option with the 19mm 48spline standard, since no matter how sick the new 2pc cranks (wombolt/fly) are, those spindles don't get any longer if you need a 6" spindle for a wider bb shell... Euro 22mm bearings can suck it anyway, paper thin crap, and it seems to be taking the mtb side of things too long to catch onto the spanish/mid shell upgrade.
I use some fly euro-spanish conversion cups too, so it adds just a bit to the width of the shell overall...
that said, I just picked up some Demolition Medials instead of the torrids.
Hey man, welcome to the monkey!

Why did you go for the Demos instead of the Shadows?

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Hey man, welcome to the monkey!

Why did you go for the Demos instead of the Shadows?

Thanks for the welcome here broham!

I went with the demos cuz I like the smooth low-key style, the price was right, and they come in 170mm! They are also the same weight in chromo version, but the Medials come in "LT" version too, with a ti spindle. They are going on my Sinister SplinterMX actually, so I went with the slightly shorter 170 arm, which is super rare in the bmx world, unless you step all the way down to 165.
I do like the 1pc backbone idea on the torrids though, but the Medials take care of the original profile design crack flaw too, with the cnc'ed spindleboss that extends down a bit to give more weld area and make it stronger... and, all these skittle colors are starting to blind me lately, I'm not too sure what to think of TSC. Not baggin'em, I can dig what they are layin' down, but just waiting to see what happens.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Right on, 170mm feels better on the big bikes, good choice! You still running that euro-spanish converter? Such a rad idea.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Right on, 170mm feels better on the big bikes, good choice! You still running that euro-spanish converter? Such a rad idea.
yep, I've got a few of the Fly euro-to-spanish conversion set-ups. Running one at the moment on the SplinterMX, and I actually just sent a new one in the box out to Brad before Sea Otter so he could use it on one of his rigs for the demo.
I can get more, but I'm keeping at least two of the kits for myself (I don't see mtb switching to mid or spanish anytime soon unfortunetly, so we're stuck with euro.) but I can get more kits if someone may be seriously interested, although it is killer pricey for these new old stock kits, and sourcing them out of North America wasn't easy. I might post something up about them here actually, now that I'm a member on this action.... haha... oh yeah man, I'm still droolin' on your little Fly rig, I want to build up another bmx this summer so I can throw it in my luggage when flying, but not get raped the overage airline fees for a big bike box.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
mid ftw, same size bearing as USA right ? just no cups.

the torrids are old news and i havent been keeping up

the torrids also look alot stronger then the fly's with 3oz difference. hrmmmm
yep, right on point, mid = american, just pressed straight to shell, no cups.

I don't know if they "look" any stronger or weaker... both they both have a flat panel back, but the torrids use a cnc'ed one and a smaller 19mm spindle, where the fly uses the larger 22mm...
But, either the Torrids or the Medials can be a bit lighter than either fly or wombolt with the use of profile/fsa ti spindle and knight/profile ti crank bolts...