Stem SIC
Bars FUNN full on
X-9 running gear
Seat SDG BelAir RL Ti
Cranks and brakes brought to you by: Shimano Saint
Guide e.13 LG-1
Pedals Easton flatboys
Cluster Ultegra 12-27

Just put her all together... Coming off a Turner DHR I find the bars a bit crazy high for my liking but nonetheless she still corners sooo well

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Bike looks really nice man. Enjoy it!!! If you want to lower the bars down a little, get a flat top crown for your Boxxer. It should lower it about an 1" to 1.5".
It wouldn't work. Intense has a 5.5" headtube, you need that drop crown.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Damn that's sick.

And flat top crowns don't change bar height, just where the crown grabs the stancion. The lower crown dictates height.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Dang - that thing is PIMP...

I remember one of the guys from Intense sold one of Kovarik's unused frames from 05' last year on ebay - it was white like yours but with custom tubing and a 1.5" HT...

Nice build, and nice color scheme.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Damn that's sick.

And flat top crowns don't change bar height, just where the crown grabs the stancion. The lower crown dictates height.
Yes it does in a way. The height of the bars from the ground up it would, but from top of HT and up no. You can move your stanchions up to lower the front end on a Boxxer with the flat crown.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Toodles, can you slide your stanchions up in the triple clamps some?

Maybe it's jsut the angle of the photo, but it looks like your fork has 10 inches of travel...heh.

Oh..and congrats!!!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Toodles, can you slide your stanchions up in the triple clamps some?

Maybe it's jsut the angle of the photo, but it looks like your fork has 10 inches of travel...heh.

Oh..and congrats!!!
On the Boxxer you only have about 3/4 of a inch to run the stanchions above the top crown so when you bottom out the fork it will not hit the bottom crown. Looks like that is the way he has it now.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yes it does in a way. The height of the bars from the ground up it would, but from top of HT and up no. You can move your stanchions up to lower the front end on a Boxxer with the flat crown.

You can move your stancions up regardless of the top crown. The 2 crowns will just be close together.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
You can move your stancions up regardless of the top crown. The 2 crowns will just be close together.
Not with the flat crown. There would be more distance between a flat crown and a drop crown from the bottom crown. Thanks about it. That gives the stanchions more room to move up in results will drop the front end down.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
But you can just run the stancions up. They'll stick out of the crown a lot but you can do it.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Not with the flat crown. There would be more distance between a flat crown and a drop crown from the bottom crown. Thanks about it. That gives the stanchions more room to move up in results will drop the front end down.
Its kinda of a moot point, he can't run one any way, the headtube is too tall:disgust1:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
But you can just run the stancions up. They'll stick out of the crown a lot but you can do it.
Nah mate, there's not enough stanchion under the lower crown to push the fork through any further. The lower crown will hit the fork lowers and full compression if I do. I need the drop crown to even reach the top of the stanchion.

Only way to lower bar height now is to flip a normal stem (no can do - not enough steerer) or find a lower stack height headset.

Regardless, it's a moot point... I'll just adapt to it. More time riding - less time twirling allen keys.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Nah mate, there's not enough stanchion under the lower crown to push the fork through any further. The lower crown will hit the fork lowers and full compression if I do. I need the drop crown to even reach the top of the stanchion.

Only way to lower bar height now is to flip a normal stem (no can do - not enough steerer) or find a lower stack height headset.

Regardless, it's a moot point... I'll just adapt to it. More time riding - less time twirling allen keys.
Give Malcolm at Cane Creek a call. They have a low stack and zero stack upper headset that you can run that will allow you to lower your stack, crown and thus stem and bars. You can keep your current lower cups since most load is there anyway.
http://www.canecreek.com/zs-2.html
Disclaimer: I'm not a current or former Cane Creek employee. Call them to make sure you can use this setup.

Oh..and for the absolute lowest stem, you should go with the Thomson X.4 stem 0x50mm. I believe it is lower mounting than a direct mount stem (could be wrong).

And based on your setup, I assume I'm probably not telling you something you didn't already know.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Sorry bizutch, that whole post is pretty much wrong because of this tidbit that you may have missed on the canecreek site:

"...and are compatible only with specifically machined head tubes. "

It's not a conventional headset, which is all the M3 accepts. If you are looking for the lowest conventional headset, that would be the FSA Orbit Xtreme (not Xtreme Pro). Nothing is lower, if i'm wrong I wanna hear about it! :)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Sorry bizutch, that whole post is pretty much wrong because of this tidbit that you may have missed on the canecreek site:

"...and are compatible only with specifically machined head tubes. "

It's not a conventional headset, which is all the M3 accepts. If you are looking for the lowest conventional headset, that would be the FSA Orbit Xtreme (not Xtreme Pro). Nothing is lower, if i'm wrong I wanna hear about it! :)
My suggestion would to be to call Cane Creek and ask what the lowest upper stack height is that he could get away with on the M1. They'll be honest about it. Call FSA and ask the same question.

Who else makes a low stack height upper besides FSA and Cane Creek?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
What on earth are you talking about? For starters it's an M3 - not that it makes a difference.

It's a standard 1 1/8 headtube, and it's not designed to take the 1 1/8 zero-stack headset cups you mentioned earlier that require a specific (and nonstandard) headtube. So like I said, all you can run is a conventional 1 1/8 headset!

There is no frame manufacturer imposed limit to how low a headset you can run, your only restriction is the conventional headsets that actually exist - and by nature they aren't low. I already named the lowest one.

:twitch:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
What on earth are you talking about? For starters it's an M3 - not that it makes a difference.

It's a standard 1 1/8 headtube, and it's not designed to take the 1 1/8 zero-stack headset cups you mentioned earlier that require a specific (and nonstandard) headtube. So like I said, all you can run is a conventional 1 1/8 headset!

There is no frame manufacturer imposed limit to how low a headset you can run, your only restriction is the conventional headsets that actually exist - and by nature they aren't low. I already named the lowest one.

:twitch:
Look at the picture I posted VERY carefully. Study the picture CAREFULLY. It's an external headset that drops inside the headtube.
You're thinking of the headtube actually being machined to the shape of the bearing set where the bearings just drop into the headtube, the headtube acting as the cup.
This headset is a drop in style that the bearings actually extend down inside the headtube of a 1 1/8 inch headtube. Look at the pic.

i'm not saying the M1 headtube will take it b/c I don't have their specs. NOTHING is mentioned about a non standard as you put it) headtube. It states specifically machined headtube which may or may not imply very exacting tolerances and meticulous facing of the existing 1 1/8" headtube. I don't know exactly...but that headset drops down inside a 1 1/8headtube.:twitch:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Here is the IS style headset diagram. This is where the headtube itself is machined to actually have bearings sit inside the headtube with the aluminum surface of the headtube acting as the cup.

IS = "integrated system." The IS design uses no cups. IS bearings rest inside the head tube of the bike's frame, which has been specifically designed to cradle the bearings and manufactured to the Cane Creek IS worldwide standard. The IS headset cannot be retrofitted to an existing bike with traditional headset cups.
Now, here is the Cane Creek Zero Stack cutaway. Notice the actual bearing cups that drop into the frame to cradle the bearings:

Zero Stack (ZS): Offers a low stack height, the security of bearing cups. and utilizes bearing cups that are hidden inside the head tube.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
But the bearings would be tiny.
true. But I would think we're not far from it happening.
If you look at Cane Creek's Tank II, it has a big bottom cup to handle the brunt of loads. If you can have a zero stack in a 1 1/8 headtube, you would not have a lot of stress there so long it was only used with a dual crown fork since the upper crowns would be clamped to the steerer. Single crown forks I would imagine would generate even more force (talking out of my guesstimate ass)?

I good example would be the headtube of the Demo 8. 1 1/8 but insanely stout interface between headtube and frame.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
thanks...that's the answer I was looking for.
Sorry buddy, you were wrong... I explained it quite adequately twice, just as the site did. Funny how it's magically right when someone else says it... nice try though.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
true. But I would think we're not far from it happening.
If you look at Cane Creek's Tank II, it has a big bottom cup to handle the brunt of loads. If you can have a zero stack in a 1 1/8 headtube, you would not have a lot of stress there so long it was only used with a dual crown fork since the upper crowns would be clamped to the steerer. Single crown forks I would imagine would generate even more force (talking out of my guesstimate ass)?

I good example would be the headtube of the Demo 8. 1 1/8 but insanely stout interface between headtube and frame.
Sorry to hijack Toods, but Udi was right in his post above biz.
And the other thing I am a bit confused about is the single crown putting different stresses on the headset than a dual?
Unless there is some funky flexing going on in the steerers of a single crown (which I doubt) I dont see the headset seeing any different stesses at all.
Dual crowns design is stronger crown to staunchions. It is the staunchions, or the crown that is possibly weaker on the single crown. Your crown may snap out of the steerer. etc. blaah blaah.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Be cooler if every manufacturer used a 1.5" HT
adds weight...:p

but its getting there anyways, but look at the 07 dhr,it went from 1.5 to 11/8 by customers request. i dont think its that essential in dh bike yet. freeride bikes for sure.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
adds weight...:p

but its getting there anyways, but look at the 07 dhr,it went from 1.5 to 11/8 by customers request. i dont think its that essential in dh bike yet. freeride bikes for sure.
Do you even realize why toodles made that statement?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
And what do you seriously expect to save with that headset? 1/4 of an inch maybe? Is it worth all the trouble?

What about shaving the headtube down? You could use a facing tool to remove as much excess as possible, then re-ream the insides if the headset requires it.

Questions: Why doesn't anybody make a needle bearing headset? Wouldn't that solve the height issue? Is it a sideload problem?