Quantcast

New shock time! Any help? 2 choices.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok, so I have 2 options here as far as suspension. Sorry in advance for such a big question, but ANY help would be appreciated.

My ride is a demo 9, and it has absurd mounting hardware for it to work, the hardware is a little obsolete actually.

I already ordered an Elka, and I might be able to fit it without pushing out the bushings, but they might hang out of the frame a little (1mm or less?), by the way a really friendly elka tech made it sound. Elka also said, that if I am unsatisfied in any way, I can return it.

My other choice is an avalanche DHS. I know they are proven, and they are 100% plush. For $50 more I can have something proven, a little heavier, but supple as anything, and add $50 more dollars and I can have independently adjustable high speed/ low speed adjustments. But I hear they aren't as much of a "race shock" from both Elka, and other people on past threads.

I guess my question is, how is your review on the avalanche suspenion?

And suspension gurus:
Any ideas on how they compare according their physical specifications, (bigger resivoir for the DHS, bigger shaft on the Elka) even though the elka hasn't exaclty been out there that long?

Both of these companies are based off original motocross suspension companies. I just don't want to shoot down any options before I make a final pick.

http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/dhs3.html
http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/dhsadvantages.html

http://www.elkasuspension.com/products/mountainbike.html
http://www.elkasuspension.com/products/mtbmodels.html

Thanks guys for the help.

Another thing I want to take into account, how is avalanche's customer service? It appears Elka's would be pretty solid.

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
Go with the Avy. Elka stuff is not nearly as good quality. This is also their first run product. You can not get seals for their quad stuff so i do not see why their bike stuff would be any different. They are very good at marketing not at making shocks.

Avy you can get seals for. Craig will take care of you with rebuilds or revalve to your specific bike. You will also get the right size mounting hardware. Not something thats close enough.

Also just because the guy at elka talked a good game does not mean that when you shock is broken that they will help you out then.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Go with the Avy. Elka stuff is not nearly as good quality. This is also their first run product. You can not get seals for their quad stuff so i do not see why their bike stuff would be any different. They are very good at marketing not at making shocks.

Avy you can get seals for. Craig will take care of you with rebuilds or revalve to your specific bike. You will also get the right size mounting hardware. Not something thats close enough.

Also just because the guy at elka talked a good game does not mean that when you shock is broken that they will help you out then.
Wow talk about E-speculation....clown.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I race with avy and am more then happy my shock performance. Craig makes shocks that last. His stuff is hard anodized inside and out, the seals are amazing and the bushings seem to last longer then any other shock I have seen. Give him a call

Avalanche Downhill Racing
12 Davidson Road
Colchester, CT 06415-1600 USA
860-537-4306
860-537-8260 fax

Last edited:

Pat Tellier

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
Montreal, QC, Canada
I might be able to fit it without pushing out the bushings, but they might hang out of the frame a little (1mm or less?)
Hey buddy, I forgot to mention that pushing the bearings was only to slide in the shock, they will get back in position once you tighten everything back!

No worries, the bearings won't be sticking out!

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
I can not say anything about elka suspension.

Avalanche customer service always has been great.
Craig was always willing to help and went out of his way to make sure that i asa customer got what i needed.

all thumbs up for Craig and avalanche!!!

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
first of all, it is 100% BS if Elka can't send you a shock with mounting hardware, every other shock company(Cane Creek, Avy, Romic) ships the shock ready to use.

The avy is a race shock, Craig will do whatever you want to make it feel right. I also believe that he will re-tune the shock for free within the first 30 days if you are unhappy or just need it a bit different.

I also read a quick review on the Elka, the dude said it felt just like a fox DHX :plthumbsdown:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
No reason not to go the Avy, if you've justified the extra $50.
I'm about to order another Avy having not had one for a while, then riding a mates Avy equipped bike.
Such a nice feeling shock.

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Hmmm. Well after riding roco's, dhx's, swinger 4 ways, a revox, and a cane creek, I should have an idea of how it compares to "ideal" suspension.

I just haven't ever ridden an avalanche, so I wouldn't know how elka would compare.

One question, what is the difference between a 2 stage and 5 stage shock?Elka has the 5 stage, it is in the name, and avalanche suspension is 2 stage.

May 25, 2006
Hmmm. Well after riding roco's, dhx's, swinger 4 ways, a revox, and a cane creek, I should have an idea of how it compares to "ideal" suspension.

I just haven't ever ridden an avalanche, so I wouldn't know how elka would compare.

One question, what is the difference between a 2 stage and 5 stage shock?Elka has the 5 stage, it is in the name, and avalanche suspension is 2 stage.
5 Stage isn't really more than a name with the Elka, so that will really have no correlation to any number of stages that might exist in Avy suspension. I believe the 5 Stage name refers to the number of adjustments, but I could be wrong.

May 25, 2006
I've ridden Avalanche for over 6 years, and still I feel is one of the best performing shocks available. Definitely the most durable.
I can't wait until the shock kit is available. I might not be able to get one right away, depending on the price, but it will be at the top of my list for sure!

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Thanks guys for the help.

I am just still curious though, even though it may be a gimmick (spelling?) I am just curious what the difference is between 2 stage and 5 stage.

I know very little about either shock you are considering, but make sure the shock you do get is progressive, or can be adjusted to be progressive.

I owned a Demo9 and did not like the swinger as it was very harsh. I grabed a deal on a Fox DHX all exctied about the talk of it's plushness and it's superiority over the swinger.

Despite the work to make the custom mounting hardware it was a much nicer shock in most instances, but it bottomed very very easily. I ran the correct spring, full bottom out and max PSI.

I met someone else, a much lighter guy, and he found the very same when he changed to a DHX (and used the correct spring).

I am no expert, but I'm guessing the leverage ratios of the Demo9 were designed around the very progressive Swinger.

Just something to bear in mind as the shocks you are considering look expensive and may not be ideal for the application.

Best of luck,

JT

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I know at elka, they tune the shock specifically for your frame, and I believe it is the same at avalanche. Between that and the fact that they are slightly bigger (more room to work with) is what makes them better than other shocks out there.

I guess we shall see when I get the elka though.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
My theory is that companies design their bikes around certain shocks depending on the use. For example the v10 has like a 4 to 1 leverage ratio, the dhx and vivid are meant to work with that because they are plush. The demo is meant for big hits and since it has such a long rear end your best bet is to stick to the shocks that are progressive like the swinger or the roco wc.

What do I know though?:imstupid:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
My theory is that companies design their bikes around certain shocks depending on the use. For example the v10 has like a 4 to 1 leverage ratio, the dhx and vivid are meant to work with that because they are plush. The demo is meant for big hits and since it has such a long rear end your best bet is to stick to the shocks that are progressive like the swinger or the roco wc.

What do I know though?:imstupid:
The Demos rear end is relatively short with 16.5" chain stays.
How are the DHX and Rocco Plush? The DHX is generally speaking under damped compared to an Avalanche and other shocks.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
The Demos rear end is relatively short with 16.5" chain stays.
How are the DHX and Rocco Plush? The DHX is generally speaking under damped compared to an Avalanche and other shocks.
did you read the part that says I'm stupid? No need to get your panties in a bunch, it was a joke.