Quantcast

New shuttle vehicle!!!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Oh and the wife has a Yukon Denali:devil:
AFter all the problems I had w/ my blazer, I swore off Chevy.
I'll never get a ford or Dodge jsut because... so that left Toyota and Nissan.
The nissan was just a little too big for what I needed.

My Blazer went through the first Tranny at about 50k miles and now is gonna need another soon (80k).
It has also overheated on me TWICE and not b/c I was running the AC or anything. I've also had ot replace the fan clutch, radiator, and a bunch of other stuff. Oh... and something is really F'd up w/ my suspension and this is AFTER I replaced all my shocks trying to fix it!!

My wife is afraid to drive our Blazer, it si so bad. That is why it was easy to convince her to get the new truck.

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
Nice Toyota B-B. A good number of the guys I ride with drive the Tacoma Double Cabs. Excellent shuttle trucks with plenty of room for 5 adults. Even after 2 hard seasons of shuttles, they still rattle less than the new Fords, Dodges and Chevys we're racing up the hill.

Me, I'm too much of a cheap bastard to go the big payment route again. I did however pick up a mint 87 4Runner last month for an absolute bargain price. As a bonus, I've got an extra hardtop that's being cut up to make it an all weather shuttle truck. I'll post pics once it's done, but suffice it to say, it'll be my poor man's Double Cab and I won't get too twisted if she's a little scratched at the end of the day!

And yes, I don't subscribe to the "American Made" load of BS. Face it, all of the majors are global companies and they build where ever the hell they get the best bang for their buck, it just so happens that Toyota and Nissan (for the North American market at least) get theirs in the the southeastern states!

ladge

Chimp
May 5, 2002
Arvada
Originally posted by -BB-
AFter all the problems I had w/ my blazer, I swore off Chevy.

My Blazer went through the first Tranny at about 50k miles and now is gonna need another soon (80k).
It has also overheated on me TWICE and not b/c I was running the AC or anything. I've also had ot replace the fan clutch, radiator, and a bunch of other stuff. Oh... and something is really F'd up w/ my suspension and this is AFTER I replaced all my shocks trying to fix it!!

My wife is afraid to drive our Blazer, it si so bad. That is why it was easy to convince her to get the new truck.
That suspension problem can be summed up with three simple words - independent front suspension. Whether Toyota, GM, Ford or whatever, it's great for giving you a Cadillac style ride or good for baja/trophy truck action but that's about it, for off-road and in general more durability it's worthless. It could be good if the various manufacturers made it beefy enough to survive, but alas they don't. That's the main reason (besides new truck payments) I didn't sell my junk, er Chevy, and buy a new Toyota pickup.

My Chevy replacements (96ZR2):
-Clutch
-Transfer case
-Limited slip burned out-replaced with full time Detroit locker
-IFS in it's entirety. Replaced after 2nd time with Superlift kit, now replacing the IFS (3rd time) completely with Dana 44 axle conversion.
-Driveline ujoint
-Engine (yes, it blew up after 156,000)
-Radiator(had to replace when replacing oil pump because GM decided to put oil pump in the friggin radiator!)
-Oil pump
-Windshield wiper motor
-Mass airflow sensor
-2 egr's
-Exhaust system from exhaust manifolds all the way back including cat converter(now stainless)
-Steering gear
-3 Wheel bearings ( but the 4th has lasted 170,000???)

Recalls on my vehicle = 2
-ABS recall
-Defective lifter recall

It hurts too bad to go on, I've replaced more than that. Well over $20,000 worth of parts I've had to put in to replace broken stuff on one vehicle.

Chevy used to make decent stuff ( pre 70's ), and the K5 Blazers are stout. The Vettes are nice too, that's about it. I even owned a Cosworth Racing Vega. Yeah, a Vega that could school 5.0 Mustangs, it was cool with a 4 cylinder and dual overhead mechanical cams. But when it comes to trucks Chevy *****.

Other reasons I wouldn't get a Chevy? I owned a 1976 Sierra ( not too bad ), a 1976 Sierra Centennial edition (junk), 1986 S10 ( hella junk ), 1990 Sierra Diesel ( junk ). But I must at least say my 1966 El Camino ( not stock ) and Cosworth Vega were ok. Only Chevy's I have left -96 S10 ZR2, but it's not really a Chevy anymore with all the aftermarket items, and a 1966 Corsa Corvair Convertible (turbocharged with 4 carbs ).

I think you made the smart choice getting the Toyota.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by ladge
That suspension problem can be summed up with three simple words - independent front suspension. Whether Toyota, GM, Ford or whatever, it's great for giving you a Cadillac style ride or good for baja/trophy truck action but that's about it, for off-road and in general more durability it's worthless. It could be good if the various manufacturers made it beefy enough to survive, but alas they don't. That's the main reason (besides new truck payments) I didn't sell my junk, er Chevy, and buy a new Toyota pickup.

My Chevy replacements (96ZR2):
-Clutch
-Transfer case
-Limited slip burned out-replaced with full time Detroit locker
-IFS in it's entirety. Replaced after 2nd time with Superlift kit, now replacing the IFS (3rd time) completely with Dana 44 axle conversion.
-Driveline ujoint
-Engine (yes, it blew up after 156,000)
-Radiator(had to replace when replacing oil pump because GM decided to put oil pump in the friggin radiator!)
-Oil pump
-Windshield wiper motor
-Mass airflow sensor
-2 egr's
-Exhaust system from exhaust manifolds all the way back including cat converter(now stainless)
-Steering gear
-3 Wheel bearings ( but the 4th has lasted 170,000???)

Recalls on my vehicle = 2
-ABS recall
-Defective lifter recall

It hurts too bad to go on, I've replaced more than that. Well over $20,000 worth of parts I've had to put in to replace broken stuff on one vehicle.

Chevy used to make decent stuff ( pre 70's ), and the K5 Blazers are stout. The Vettes are nice too, that's about it. I even owned a Cosworth Racing Vega. Yeah, a Vega that could school 5.0 Mustangs, it was cool with a 4 cylinder and dual overhead mechanical cams. But when it comes to trucks Chevy *****.

Other reasons I wouldn't get a Chevy? I owned a 1976 Sierra ( not too bad ), a 1976 Sierra Centennial edition (junk), 1986 S10 ( hella junk ), 1990 Sierra Diesel ( junk ). But I must at least say my 1966 El Camino ( not stock ) and Cosworth Vega were ok. Only Chevy's I have left -96 S10 ZR2, but it's not really a Chevy anymore with all the aftermarket items, and a 1966 Corsa Corvair Convertible (turbocharged with 4 carbs ).

I think you made the smart choice getting the Toyota.
My old 72 K5 I restored.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
...just so you know, the V8 that is in the Nissan was built by Infinity and has been around for about 5 years.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
That thing looks pretty awesome Jeff. A friend of mine just got one. Rear power rolldown window is a sweet touch!

dw

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by SinatorJ
...just so you know, the V8 that is in the Nissan was built by Infinity and has been around for about 5 years.
really? in which infinitI product? the largest v8 i recall reading about was the 4.something liter one in the q45... this one is 5.6 liters iirc and a different beast.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Originally posted by Acadian
dude...those things are EVERYWHERE around here!! Lately they have been pooping up everywhere...
for 15k and 36 mpg hyw looks like a fun car for bcd.:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by bcd
for 15k and 36 mpg hyw looks like a fun car for bcd.:D
and the more like japan the united states gets, the better, in my opinion. :D

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Originally posted by Toshi