Quantcast

new small company cults?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
You can't just start a cult, it needs to be formed. The Avy cult: Avalanche was considered the best out there for many seasons, then Romic popped up, 5th, manitou and fox was reborn. Romic was then the "Best ever" as was 5th. They then lost popularity due to reliability and performance issues. However t that point many were jumping ship due to the "Bandwagon syndrome". Avalanche still had some strong followers and it has remained that way for the last few years, thus the Cult was formed.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Cult does not mean fad or bandwagon. Cult means long-term underground (well, not in the case of the Avy cult :D) following.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Brian HCM#1 said:
You can't just start a cult, it needs to be formed. The Avy cult: Avalanche was considered the best out there for many seasons, then Romic popped up, 5th, manitou and fox was reborn. Romic was then the "Best ever" as was 5th. They then lost popularity due to reliability and performance issues. However t that point many were jumping ship due to the "Bandwagon syndrome". Avalanche still had some strong followers and it has remained that way for the last few years, thus the Cult was formed.
wow, what a tread killer.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
The Avy Cult is annoying but I have to say that normally people who use Avalanche gear (specifically the rear shock) end up staying with it even when they change frames.

According to www.dictionary.com, here's one of the definitions of "Cult":

-Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing. (in this case, it's a friggin shock) ;)

With regards to forming little cults for various manufacturers, there's no point since people change frames/forks/brakes/rims/hubs/pedals like they change their socks!

So, having several little cults would be juvenile, useless and defeat the purpose of the workd 'cult' since everyone would be moving around from cult to cult...it would become a big swinger party!

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
The Big Hit clut is pretty big too.
There is also a "Shinburger" Cult for the people who ride those.
Not to mention the "Shiver" Cult.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
There is nothing more godlike than THE CULT...and this is one hell of a reason for a thread derailment. Here is some of my memoribilia I have, the rest is all in the CULT shrine I have upstairs. (Es Muy Loco)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
..but so many have those. The point is to have a cult of a small company, uncommonly used product or unusual design. This makes much more sense.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm in a cult where we devour the brains of our murdered enemies.

It's not really a "company cult", per se, but I like it.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
mtnbrider said:
Too bad...what bike are you thinking? You will be off a bullit, I may be on a bullit.
actually a bullit cult doesn't sound soo bad... it fits all the criteria(sp?) its was pretty good once apon a time, its hopefully going to be great when it comes back end of this year. :cool: i am leaving mainly coz my bullit it too small for me now, and i dont want to drop a grand just for the same bike in m size. so its prolly going to be a old dhr (hint hint ian :p ) for the time being. but the ultimate would be a sunday... :love: :drool:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
IronhorseCT said:
Now we are talking Kool Aid, not the branch dividians...Anyone for Hale Bop?
branch dividians. if they weren't a cult, then the word needs redifining.