Quantcast

New Subie STi

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Just picked up my new Subie WRX STi, which replaces my 96 Intregra VTEC that was stolen a couple of months ago. its an 01, done 75km, 6 speed, 2.0 turbo with 205kw or 280bhp. Tow bar to be fitted.
Did someone say fast?
Yes, I am stoked.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Monkeybidnezz said:
Nice rig. My only gripe is that they didn't give the wagon the flared fenders like the sedan.
yeah, the sedans have wider track. i like the flared guards but wanted the wagon for the versatility and rarity. They stopped making STi wagons in 01, so its last of the breed.

The sedan supposedly handles better due to the wider track, but im pretty sure im not going to be finding the limits of its lateral grip any time soon.

thanks for the props monkeys

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Demomonkey said:
The sedan supposedly handles better due to the wider track, but im pretty sure im not going to be finding the limits of its lateral grip any time soon.
party pooper.

WSU DH'er

Monkey
Nov 28, 2003
Fayetteville, NC
are you sure its a '01 because that body style didn't come out untill '02 in '01 it was still the '93-'01 styling:

I could be wrong but I thought I knew my subies pretty well.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
WSU DH'er said:
are you sure its a '01 because that body style didn't come out untill '02 in '01 it was still the '93-'01 styling:

I could be wrong but I thought I knew my subies pretty well.

Different markets have different realease dates etc etc....

BillT

Monkey
moff_quigley said:
Very cool. Subaru needs to bring an STI Wagon to market in the U.S.
They need to make an STI wagon first...2001 was last year they made one. The best they have now for someone wanting STI power and goodies in more practical package is the STI Forester available in Japan and I believe Europe.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
BillT said:
They need to make an STI wagon first...2001 was last year they made one. The best they have now for someone wanting STI power and goodies in more practical package is the STI Forester available in Japan and I believe Europe.
We can get them here in NZ. They run for about $55KNZ or $30KUS.

We also get the Blitzen editions which are "styled by Porsche"...what ever that means. Its powered by a 3L flat 6 engine which is more Porsche than the syling.

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
Why not save the money and put $2k-$3k into a WRX that will eat STI's?? unless you really need the differential traction control to make it handle more like a fwd or rwd.. i personally like my 50/50 slpit and dont need to change it... A purdy good amount of money has gone into my WRX wagon and im fairly confident that it would beat a new STI... Having driven one last week...
ok, so the STI wagon would be cool... but i dont think the 6 speed and diff. control are worth another $11k! Plus, you dont need to have that big gay wing on the back! lol just my $.02... didn't mean to offend!

BillT

Monkey
The STI is much more than the 6 speed and trick center differential...you also have forged wheels, super sticky bridgestones, Brembo's, a front LSD, better (inverted) shocks with stiffer springs, etc... For $2-3k, you could probably get a WRX to be faster than a STI in a straight line, but it would be far, far from the complete package that the STI is.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
nikwho said:
Why not save the money and put $2k-$3k into a WRX that will eat STI's?? unless you really need the differential traction control to make it handle more like a fwd or rwd.. i personally like my 50/50 slpit and dont need to change it... A purdy good amount of money has gone into my WRX wagon and im fairly confident that it would beat a new STI... Having driven one last week...
ok, so the STI wagon would be cool... but i dont think the 6 speed and diff. control are worth another $11k! Plus, you dont need to have that big gay wing on the back! lol just my $.02... didn't mean to offend!
im not a big fan of heavily modified cars. cars, like bikes tend to be built with pretty fine tolerances, esp. when you start looking at performance models. I could spend a couple of grand making the STi faster than most cars out there, but my preference is for factory cars that kick butt. resale value and maintenance costs are improved with factory cars too.
I drove a 98 V5 STi wagon that had aftermarket this and that, and it was probably a faster car than one i've got, but holy smoke it had been driven hard. and was a breakdown waiting to happen.