Quantcast

New telemarketer loopholes

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
So for the last couple months these telemarketers have been calling me, except now its a prerecorded message saying that they have something important to discuss etc. I had it with these people so one day I called them up and told them not to call me any more. The guy on the other end just kept on saying that its not a sales call etc and would not do anything to remove my number from their list. I filed a complaint with the Do Not Call Registry and yet they are still calling.

I think because its a prerecorded message and that technically I am calling them to tell them to stop calling, that these companys can get around the Do Not Call list. Anyone know how to stop them from calling?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
So for the last couple months these telemarketers have been calling me, except now its a prerecorded message saying that they have something important to discuss etc. I had it with these people so one day I called them up and told them not to call me any more. The guy on the other end just kept on saying that its not a sales call etc and would not do anything to remove my number from their list. I filed a complaint with the Do Not Call Registry and yet they are still calling.

I think because its a prerecorded message and that technically I am calling them to tell them to stop calling, that these companys can get around the Do Not Call list. Anyone know how to stop them from calling?
Fire bomb.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
...maybe its really not sales. Maybe you have a fortune waiting to be inherited.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Screw with them. Tell them about how you like to have sex with your neighbours pets. Be as graphic as possible.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm almost certain that the do not call registry has no exceptions in it for prerecorded messages. I'd take a closer look at the registry laws.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Call them up.

Make sure you tell them about 3 different times what your name and your phone number is.

Then start talking to them.

Make them repeat the question.

A lot.

Ask stupid questions.

After every question ask "why are you asking that"?

Basically blow about an hour of their time.

Once they figure out you are wasting their time your number will disappear from their lists. People who cost telemarketers money are the worst scourge to them.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Start asking them questions that they have to answer. What company they are working for, their name, etc. Constantly ask them to repeat it slowly, like you are writing it down. They cannot hang up on you when you are asking them these questions, and they have to answer you. Make sure you take a lot of their time. You will suddenly fall off their list.

splat

Nam I am
Start asking them questions that they have to answer. What company they are working for, their name, etc. Constantly ask them to repeat it slowly, like you are writing it down. They cannot hang up on you when you are asking them these questions, and they have to answer you. Make sure you take a lot of their time. You will suddenly fall off their list.
It is a amazing how well that works . and it confusses them too. Start asking for them random stuff that may not even exist . I had one Supervisor calling all over thaplce once when I asked for Her Name , Buisness name , , address, Buisness phone , fax #, Name and addrs of the clients Buisness , Phone , fax, and there FCC Advertizing ID.

and I made her tell them all to me slowly , and repeat them , ( she was getting agrivated you could tell ) then When I asked for the FCC Advertizing ID , it caught her off gaurd ( because I made it up on the fly ) she had to call several People before , came back that there was no such thing.

another thing that gets them Pissed is when you turn the tables on them and start with something , like asking them about how the lord can help them find Happiness in there life.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
My method is to go get an actual person and tell the person to shove what ever they are trying to sell to shove it up their ass, then hang up.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
I also go with the question route. Like how much of my money goes to the charity. Then ask why so little. Then ask 'so your telling me that I'm paying you to harrass me when I'm eating dinner'.

Another method, hand the phone to your 4 year old and tell them it's Santa and he wants to know what you want for Christmas.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I haven't gotten the prerecorded messages yet, but when it's clearly a telemarketer and they ask for whoever is on their list ("Hello, is Jackson home?"), I say that they have the wrong number, that no one lives here by that name.

That seems to work well, I rarely get telemarketers anymore.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Don't you all have caller ID? If I don't recongnize the name or number, I don't answer the phone.
yea, but there are a lot of numbers that I either don't recognize or that show up "wrongly ID'd" by the caller ID, so I don't rely on that 100% of the time.

Plus, not answering doesn't get you off their list... they keep calling.

lukeduke

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
is only so useful. telemarketers have found an easy way around in most places. the "do not call" list law is a federal law, only applies to certain industries, not all. Like political parties are exempt. many real "sales" companies have moved to India or Canada where the law does not apply. they can call you all they want. sucks.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Don't you all have caller ID? If I don't recongnize the name or number, I don't answer the phone.
Or better yet - get rid of your home phone altogether and get an IP phone if you absolutely must have something besides a cell.

I've had problems with only one caller in 4 years on my cell, and after speaking with them 5-6 times to request removal from their GD list, I filed an FTC Complaint I never heard from them again.

YMMV

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I don't answer the phone, period. If it's important or I actually want to talk to you, I'll probably call you back.
Amen!

What the hell is wrong with some of you people. You don't HAVE to answer the phone ya know.

I have my wife on a different ring tone. If it's not her, I'm probably not even going to check to see who's calling :D (my friends all plan stuff via email and rarely call)

redblues

Chimp
Apr 3, 2007
philadelphia
Prerecorded messages "asking" you to call back are either collection agencies or in some cases law offices. Sensitive legal issues are usually not left on a person's voice mail.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Prerecorded messages "asking" you to call back are either collection agencies or in some cases law offices. Sensitive legal issues are usually not left on a person's voice mail.
But it sometimes is a scumbag telemarketer trying to get you to buy new windows or gallon tubs of KY.

They need a c0ckpunch.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
my personal favorite with the prerecorded ones is to send a 10 page fax to the number, when they hang up send another and repeat until I get bored

the noise will drive them crazy

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
^
^
^
Treat it like phone sex and tell them you are unzipping your pants right now.

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
I seem to remember some other exception to DNCR; if you have done business with a company before they can call. I was getting almost exactly the same messages as you are, I finally answered fully intending to take out some aggression on the people and found out it was my mortgage company calling with some refinancing or line of credit offer. I yelled, they quit calling.