Quantcast

new timer, advice?

the_outsider

Chimp
Jun 19, 2006
Hey guys,

I'm trying to break into the world of bikes, and I'm not sure where to start. What are some good sources of information for beginners?

I'm planning on a buying a bike in the next few weeks, but not sure what kind to take. My friend suggested cyclocross so I wouldn't be totally restricted to road/trails.

Let me know if you have any advice.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
the_outsider said:
Hey guys,

I'm trying to break into the world of bikes, and I'm not sure where to start. What are some good sources of information for beginners?
You found it here at the :monkey:! :thumb:

I'm planning on a buying a bike in the next few weeks, but not sure what kind to take. My friend suggested cyclocross so I wouldn't be totally restricted to road/trails.
Mountain bikes work better on roads than CX bikes work on "actual" trails. I think you'll find a mt bike is much more versatile than a roadie or CX bike.

Of course, if all your offroad stuff is dirt roads and/or really smooth, flat trails, maybe a CX bike would work.

Let me know if you have any advice.
Get yourself a nice hardtail and ride, ride, RIDE. There is *no* substitute for saddle time.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
SkaredShtles is right, just get a bike, ask around here and at your LBS get some gear, just ride the bike non stop..laern how to maintain it, and keep it running right so you acn do trail fixes and eveyrthing..just have fun and progress.post picturesup