Quantcast

New tire mounting woes- uneven beading?

shiftersteve

Chimp
Feb 9, 2008
This issue has been a thorn in my side now for several weeks now. Bought a new WTB race tire 26 x 2.2 in preparation for a race a few weeks back. When I inflated it, the tire did not bead uniformly onto the wheel - there was a HUGE wobble in the tire (approx 1/2" runnout). I retried mounting the tire at least 5-6 times, tried using different tubes, only to have the exact same problem every time. I put my old worn out WTB tire on and it beaded up perfectly with no wobble whatsoever and ended up doing the race on my old tire. Fast forward 3 weeks, I figured the new WTB tire was defective so I returned it and bought a Kenda Nevagal instead and tried to mount it up yesterday. Now I have the EXACT same problem with the new Kenda tire. I can see where the bead of the tire sits too low in one section on the rim causing the big wobble, but I cant stretch or otherwise tweak the tire around to get it to seat uniformly. I'd be grateful if someone can tell me what the he&% is going on? :rant:

Steve
Atlanta GA

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
shiftersteve said:
This issue has been a thorn in my side now for several weeks now. Bought a new WTB race tire 26 x 2.2 in preparation for a race a few weeks back. When I inflated it, the tire did not bead uniformly onto the wheel - there was a HUGE wobble in the tire (approx 1/2" runnout). I retried mounting the tire at least 5-6 times, tried using different tubes, only to have the exact same problem every time. I put my old worn out WTB tire on and it beaded up perfectly with no wobble whatsoever and ended up doing the race on my old tire. Fast forward 3 weeks, I figured the new WTB tire was defective so I returned it and bought a Kenda Nevagal instead and tried to mount it up yesterday. Now I have the EXACT same problem with the new Kenda tire. I can see where the bead of the tire sits too low in one section on the rim causing the big wobble, but I cant stretch or otherwise tweak the tire around to get it to seat uniformly. I'd be grateful if someone can tell me what the he&% is going on? :rant:

Steve
Atlanta GA
The new tires are a bit tight and sticky. To get the bead to seat (I HATE the term "beaded.") use some soapy water on the rim and tire beads and inflate to just under the max on the sidewall. Should pop into place, if not right away, let it sit for a while and it will.

shiftersteve

Chimp
Feb 9, 2008
Have not tried soap. I DID use a generous amount of talcom powder however. I'll try some dish detergent with water and see if that works. Thanks for the advice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
talcum powder is more to help the tube...

bicyclist has the right idea. but you don't need a tool. inflate the tire to partial pressure. for an mtb tire around 15-20psi... then work your way around the tire and pinch the tire in the spots where that tool goes in contact with the tire. worked just about every time i had bead seating issues.

and yes, check the rim for flat spots / dents first

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I'm just saying... it worked for me. Lubed it, put a compressor on it up to 50 psi and POP! Tire went right on bead. Then deflated the PSI to where I ride at and it works. Took it off the other day the same way. I'm telling ya, I'm not trying to be funny here. It really worked dude. Trust me. Go to Walmart, get a small tube of Equate water based lube, it's super slippery and my tires go on easy now and come off easy. No more breaking levers.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Lube the bead and pump it up until she pops. Actually, just pump it up first. Never had a tire not seat with enough air.