Quantcast

new tires needed, what do you suggest

dh_dirt_diva

Chimp
Dec 7, 2005
I da' Ho!
Yes it is now that time to replace my tires and and I am stuck with what I should do! Should I stay with Mobsters, which are tried and true and have never let me down! Or, should I look into something new and take a chance? Opinions needed, please!

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Where do you live and ride? Any hopes to go tubeless? Are you sponsored by any tire companies? What do you like about the Mobsters?

Minion DHF's work really well, so do High Rollers. I just tried out a dual Minion DHF combo, and it was great. Right now I've got a High Roller in front and a Larsen in back, and it's a good training set up. Stick with Maxxis, it's tried and true, but give the High Rollers or the Minion DHF a shot. I've been very happy with how well they work.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I just got a set of Kenda Blue Groove 2.5 stick-E's
I really like them so far for the hardpack/loose on hardpack conditions here, casings seems pretty tough too.

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
JohnnyBoyDH said:
If you want to try something new, the Hutchinson line of DH tires are light, strong and have great grip. The Octopus we used last season was awesome....they are UST as well.
That and the new line of threads, the Barracuda DH and Piranha (semi-semi slick) will be ran by our team. 2mx casing (improvement) and bigger knobs for improved braking. As always, available in tubeless and MRC Low compound.

marra

Chimp
Apr 22, 2005
Minion R in the rear and Mobster SL front...but you could make a change for faster courses

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Mobster or Minion front, High roller rear is a popular combo.

I run Mobsters front and rear (because I got the 2.5's cheap) but anything Mobster/High Roller is a proven combo. Minion F and High roller rear is popular as well.

That's if you must go Maxxis (which ain't bad) but there are many other choices for tires out there. The Kenda stuff isn't too bad either, but I want to say where Maxxis run small to size (like a 2.7 is more the size of a 2.5) Kenda's are pretty on the money.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
For being in Idaho (assuming conditions are pretty much like in Eastern WA - loose over hardpack, rocks, roots, and those dry, dusty trails), Mobsters, and Minions are awesome fronts. A Michi Comp 32 is another good front tire. You can sometimes find the older model that says it's a 2.8" tire, but is more like a 2.5". For rears, Maxxis Swampthings hook up really well, and are pretty lightweight. Minion DHRs are good, so are the Michi Comp24s (the last being my personal favorite)

I guess it really depends on your riding style and the conditions you're going to be in the most, though...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
For definitive tire info drop ProFro a line - he's forgotten more about rubber than most of us will ever know...

For loose over hardpack, hardpack, and rocks I'd suggest the previously mentioned Minion DHF in front AND rear. Nothing beats em'.

For loose/loam, wet conditions, rocks and gravel I'd try the High Rollers. The knobs are more widely dispersed than the Minions' and seem to clear mud a bit better - esp. under hard braking. They also roll a bit better than the Minion DHF's due to the ramped knobs but this is barely noticeable. Both the Minion and the High Roller corner really well - so in that sense you can't really go wrong.

For the best of both worlds a good combo to run is the Minion DHF up front and the High Roller in the rear.

Hope this helps.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
i like most anything from maxxis. Lately though i have kinda been a traitor and Running the WTB weirwolf Duel case 2.5 in teh front. Been a really good tire for that loose over hardpack condition. Still gots my supertacky High roller in the rear. personally i didnt like the high roller as a front tire. Ill repost in a week or so after a few more rides on the Wtb

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Shyrmp said:
That and the new line of threads, the Barracuda DH and Piranha (semi-semi slick) will be ran by our team. 2mx casing (improvement) and bigger knobs for improved braking. As always, available in tubeless and MRC Low compound.
dont quite trust a rider who has a bike which is that clean. :p

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I'm a fan of the Minion DHF front/Highroller rear. I find it works in a wide variety of conditions.

In the wet I use comp 16's front and rear.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I've been pretty happy with the Nevegals here in the NW. I think the Minions and HR's are nice as well, but the Nevegals have worn much better IMO. The knobs on the SR Maxxis tires seem to tear away way too soon to my liking...

dh_dirt_diva

Chimp
Dec 7, 2005
I da' Ho!
Well I have finally come to my conclusion regarding what type of tires I will be running from here on out. But before I tell everyone my new choice of rubber, I would like to thank everyone for their opinions from their experiences with various tires. After taking into consideration what I have read here and what I read on MTBR.com and the advice given to me by local riders and friends I am dropping the trusted Maxxis line and going with Kenda! Blue Groove for the front and a Nevegal for the rear, both in 2.5!
Thanks again for everone who shared their views on tires with me.

:)

Mugger

Monkey
Dec 16, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Nothing wrong with Minion DHF on both tires, when the back wears out you can just throw the front tyre on the back and buy a new tyre. Easy as, perfect weekend warrior combination.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
It matters, what terrain you are riding, if it is like anything like mammoth i would tell you to go with the the 2.7. But everthing else go with the 2.5, you save weight and you dojn't loose much on proformance/tracktion.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Shyrmp said:

Thats a nicolai right, ginormous seatstays:p