Quantcast

New tires

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
I'm in the market for a new rear tire and possibly a new front as well. I just built up a Rhino Lite rear wheel which is a bit wider than the Mavic's I typically use. I primarily ride XC on my Stumpjumper hardtail, but I'm getting into a bit more aggressive riding. Is freeride still the dirty word it was when it came out? I want a slightly wider tire, but nothing excessive.

Right now I have a Specialized Team Master 1.9" that came with my bike. Its fairly grippy but the sidewalls are weak. It caves in easily on rock hits, even more so than the Bontrager Revolt I was running. I liked the Revolt because I do a good amount of road miles, and the Revolt is low profile.

I've got a Spec. Ground Control 1.95" on the front that's getting worn out. Its always broken loose on the corners too easily for my taste.

Recommendations?

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
personally, I have gone to wider tires again over the last couple years. on the front of my singlespeed I was riding a WTB mutanoraptor 2.4 and loved it but just ordered a motoraptor 2.4. (my friend let me know where to find them for 19.99 for the kevlar :) ) they make a 2.24 as well as 2.1. I love the bigger front tire. on the rear I ride something that will really hook up for the single. I like the looks of the IRC 2.25 tires like the backcountry. the conti vert. pro 2.3 is nice but usually a little spendy $. there are more and more wide aggressive tires out there that are not 1200 gram DH tires so weight is not a problem.

i would suggest a cheap set of wheels or tires for road riding. a mtn bike tire's worst enemy is road miles. i think you will also find that these wider tires allow for much better cornering. 1.9's just don't cut it for me on the trail. I have ridden them in races but overall if you are trying to get more aggressive on the trail, get a more aggressive tire.

Surly

Chimp
I run WTB 2.4 Mutanoraptors on the front, and either a Panaracer Fire XC Pro, or another Mutano depending on where I'm riding. We're mostly dry/dusty/rocky here in Socal, tho.
What is the terrain like where you're at?

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
I'm in Mass. Mostly rocky & rutty singletrack. Occasional soft loamy stuff like Leominster's pine forest.

Surly

Chimp
You may want to try something with a little wider spaced knobs--ala 2.3 Continental Survival Pro, or a Mutanoraptor 2.24, Hutchison Scorpion. JensonUSA also has Kenda's in a 2.3 on sale--they might be worth a try. Good luck!

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by 1speed
i would suggest a cheap set of wheels or tires for road riding. a mtn bike tire's worst enemy is road miles.
Thought about it, but its not gonna happen. The rims would have be similar to prevent having to adjust the brakes each time I change. Inevitably the cassette on one wheel is going to wear faster than the other, so the chain will skip. It'd be like putting a new chain on an old cassette.

I'm hoping to get a 2nd bike. I want to build up a fullie for trails. Then I could convert the hardtail to urban riding, or even better, get a real road bike. I can't even begin to say how much I want a Bianchi. The Campione fit like it was designed for my body.

I need a job.

TimeBomb

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Brockton, MA, U.S.A.
I run 2.1 WTB Velocer Raptors on my XC & absolutely love them.

They are directional & hook up great.

Not so good on pavement.

I have a brand spanking new front if you want it, I'll let it go cheap. PM me.

Hope this helps.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
IRC BackCountry 26x2.25
WTB MotoRaptor 26x2.4
WTB VelociRaptor 26x2.1
Michelin Hot S 26x2.2

All of the ^^above^^ are good "agressive" XC tires... a bit wider than the norm, and non-paper-thin casing... basically good for dropping the pressure a bit and railing some trails... :)

Nanda

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
Dryden, Ontario
Originally posted by Shibby
IRC BackCountry 26x2.25
WTB MotoRaptor 26x2.4
WTB VelociRaptor 26x2.1
Michelin Hot S 26x2.2

All of the ^^above^^ are good "agressive" XC tires... a bit wider than the norm, and non-paper-thin casing... basically good for dropping the pressure a bit and railing some trails... :)
Personally, I would remove the Michelin Hot S from that list - I have had nothing but trouble with them and have experienced multiple sidewall blow-outs with my set. The treads are nice but the sidewalls are among the worst I have ever ridden. Not recommended.

Just my $0.02

The terrain in Nova Scotia is probably pretty similar to what you ride. I recommend the Panaracer Fire in the 2.1. Good grip and not too heavy. Some people are also using the Fire 2.3 DH. A bit wider and heavier but still rolls well and provides good traction. If you are looking for something with a heavier sidewall I like the IRC Kujo DH in a 2.25 size. I like the traction and I find that they last well in the rocks and the roots.
Lots of people are using Maxxis tires, I have a set of the MiMo and I really like them. They are good tires and you can find them in lots of different styles and sizes. Have fun.

Rustmouse

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
Olympia, WA
had good luck with the Velociraptor 2.1

some problems with mud hook up, but stiffer sidewalls than many, not too heavy, and decent performance on and off the road...

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I'm going to try the Fire XC on the rear. I run higher pressures to avoid pinch flatting. When I tried to lower pressure on that Specialized Team Master rear, it caved in really easily, weak sidewalls. I'm hoping the Pracer's pinchflat protection is more than hype.

My LBS doesn't have these tires at all, nor the IRC Mythos (my 2nd choice) so I'm getting them online. $27 for the Fire, and performance is having a sale on Mythos for $15. I know the moral issues about buying online, but at least I tried getting it locally. Which brings up a good question, what are the good online shops? I like Nashbar myself, I've gotten great service from them over the years.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Originally posted by hans2
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I'm going to try the Fire XC on the rear. I run higher pressures to avoid pinch flatting. When I tried to lower pressure on that Specialized Team Master rear, it caved in really easily, weak sidewalls. I'm hoping the Pracer's pinchflat protection is more than hype.

My LBS doesn't have these tires at all, nor the IRC Mythos (my 2nd choice) so I'm getting them online. $27 for the Fire, and performance is having a sale on Mythos for $15. I know the moral issues about buying online, but at least I tried getting it locally. Which brings up a good question, what are the good online shops? I like Nashbar myself, I've gotten great service from them over the years.
Dude, can't your shop get them through one of their suppliers like QBP, BTI, or Downeast? I know that they all have P-racer tires.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Conti vertical pro is a great, fairly thin (for a 2.3) all-around aggressive tire...survival pro for mud (or deep sand!). They have kevlar sidewalls to protect vs. cuts, but no pinchflat protection.

However, if you're getting aggressive, something with sidewall reinforcement will really help you out. Running 15-30 lbs of pressure vice 35-50 lbs is a totally new experience...the 1st time you plow through a rock garden, you'll feel the difference.

Might try the thinner 2.24 WTB mutanoraptors or the like...or try DH tubes with your normal XC tires. If you really want a difference, get some proper DH tires in a thinner width (2.1-2.3).

MD

Evilmunch

Monkey
May 5, 2002
NE of ATL
Originally posted by hans2

I just bought a pair of Fire XC Pros from www.pricepoint.com for $35. I needed 'em quick, my LBS said they couldn't get them for over a week.