Quantcast

New Tires

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Well, the old specialized roller pro 2.3's just aren't cutting it. Pinch flats even at high psi on tiny drops, absolutly no cornering or braking traction, fast wearing... well after rolling downhill after bailing due to lack of traction I am done with these tires. What do you suggest for new tires? I am thinking of runnning a 2.7 up front (I know it is kinda overkill, but i just like the feel, and thats why Marz updated the M-arch ;) )and either a 2.35 or 2.5 in the back (I dunno how big my 2004 P.2 can fit). I am kinda leaning towards maxxis, either high rollers or minions, but I am afraid of fast wear, as I do a fair bit of asphalt/urban riding on the way to the Dh trails. Make any suggestions, I'm open to anything.

Thanks, D

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
there are lots of good tires out there
the michelin comp 16's and 24.1's are an awesome combo, im running them in 2.2's right now and really like the combo.
On my dh bike i had been running 2.5 intense sticky rubbers, 909 up front, and world cup in the back and that was another great set of tires, i had those tires for upwards of a year on that bike, and the wear wasnt horrible. Ive never tried the maxxis, so i cant comment, but i think you would do fine with some michi's or intense

Spec8in561

Monkey
Mar 12, 2004
Just get something with a wire bead and sidewall and u will be fine from pinch flats...2.7 & 2.5 maxxios is a sweet setup

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Originally posted by Lizard0fthetrai
I went from intense 2.5's I think 909 to Maxxis 2.5 minions...the minions felt infinitely faster and well, I just liked them more, lighter, awesome traction, fast rolling.....

that's good to know, as I sit here mounting a set of minion's wondering if I'm gonna like them or not

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
Ive had a pair of super tacky 2.7 mobsters for 5 weeks
been on a lot of pavement and some trails.
went to pkill this weekend
the front tire was still has the indentation outline around the center knobs, but i tried a minion on sunday
the rear tire definatly has more wear as the indentation outline is no longer there and the edges of the knobs aren't as well formed on the front tire, but front tires don't generally skid.

but thats after a race and 5 weeks of riding around town and trails thats not bad for durability

I ran intense last year. certainly good tires but they are noticably heavier.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Has anyone tried both super tacky and any of the higher durometers (60 or 40d). Is there really any noticeable difference in performance, as i know there is in wear. I might go with a super tacky/slow reazy in the front and a 30-60d in the back for a little more long lastingness.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
There is a noticable difference between ST and 60a, IMO. I generally practice on 60a's and switch to ST for races. I can feel the increased rolling resistance as well with the STs, but the increased traction far out weights it.

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
I've been running the 2.5 Azonic Volante(or something), they are about 800g are quite large for e 2.5 and have a decent sticky rubber.

They roll VERY well, even on tarmac and other hard surface. They seem to bite well up ascents too, even on wet roots and rocks. The pattern is quite "close" which may make them pack with mud, but in the wet weather we have had the last few weeks I am surprised that they don't pack up more.
On the downhills they stick to most every surface, from roots and rocks, both wet and dry the seem to be well above average....on the dry they roll good and bite well in corners.

I am actually very surprised with these tires!

NOT dh-specific, but as an allround freeride-xc-dh tire for my RFX they are very good.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I switched between 2.5 Maxxis Mobsters and Intense 909 over the last year, depending on conditions. The maxxis feel a lot lighter, feel great, but are more prone to pinch flats and sidewall tears. On the flip side, I can pretty much ride through anything with the Intense (esp. with a 2.7 on the front), but they feel a lot heavier so any pedaling or techy stuff becomes more of a chore. When I say the tires "feel" heavier or lighter I mean the weight difference is very noticeable to me but I don't know the exact weights. I'm kind of searching for a middle ground ride now and keep hearing about the new Kenda Nevegal/Blue Groove combo, may give those a shot...

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
I like Maxxis Minions quite a lot (they are on all three of my bikes) - 2.5 Minion dual ply (slow rezay on the front, 60 on the rear - the slow rezay just melts on stone on the rear) on my RFX, 2.3 Minion single ply on my XCE and Bruiser -

to avoid pinch flats, put Stan's in your tires and ditch the tubes, I haven't had a pinch flat in years, but then, none of my bikes have had tubes for years either...