Quantcast

New to MTB

Mopar32985

Chimp
Nov 24, 2007
Hey guys new here. I'm new to MTB but not new to biking. I used to ride 20 inch BMX bikes. But as im slowly figuring out mtb are a hole lot different. My main questions to start off with is, I'm mainly just going to do trial riding but i want to also do some jumping. Right now im at 215lbs and im 5ft 7in. I don't know weather to go with hard tail or full suspension. The thing is right now i have a target special just to make sure i really want to stick with it. When it comes time to get my tax returns i want to get a nice bike. What suggestions do you guys have. Thanks for any help at all.

cuteman

Chimp
Nov 13, 2007
WV
I think if your going to be doing mild trailing and dirt jumping then your best bet would probably to go with a hardtail like a Transition Vagrant or some equivalent. If your going to be doing harder trailing with drops along with jumps go for a full suspension

Mopar32985

Chimp
Nov 24, 2007
thanks man i was thinking no one could help me out for a while there. Yea i will def be doing mild trail riding. I aqlso need toi figure out what size would be good for me. I dont want to go much over 500 if i dont have to. Def would like to slowly upgrade it. Thanks again for your time to help me out.

MartyMcFly

Chimp
Nov 19, 2007
Mopar, sometimes its hard to get answers in the begiiner forums. I ventured out to the downhill forum and got a ton more responces. Good Luck!

Dec 3, 2004
San Jose, CA
If you are going low budget, definitely get a hardtail. You will get much better components and you can do everything on a hardtail that you can on a full suspension. Plus, you will learn much better bike handeling skills on a hardtail. Look for a used bike too, you can get really good deals on bikes around your price range that are only a year or two old at a much lower price since mountain bikes depreciate in value like mad.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Mopar, look for a lightly used Specialized Hardrock Pro, this bike is a great entry level bike that will take you where you want to go.....

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
If you are going low budget, definitely get a hardtail. You will get much better components and you can do everything on a hardtail that you can on a full suspension. Plus, you will learn much better bike handeling skills on a hardtail. Look for a used bike too, you can get really good deals on bikes around your price range that are only a year or two old at a much lower price since mountain bikes depreciate in value like mad.
I second this one. Hardtail or used are the best ways to go if you are on a tight budget. Especially when you are just starting out.

Mopar32985

Chimp
Nov 24, 2007
thanks alot for your comments guys i will take all of this into consideration. Im going tomorrow to see what size bike i need at the LBS. Thanks again