Quantcast

New to the area, lookin' for some beta

DHAlicia

Chimp
Apr 27, 2008
Bethel, CT
HI! I searched the forums for some answers to my questions and didn't find any...Specifically, where can a person camp or lodge for cheap near Diablo? I did look on the hotel sites and everything is full (expedia ect)....are there any secret places or campsites not on the internet that anyone can give me beta on?

I'm super psyched to pick up my season pass and for opening day and would like to stay the party and the night; Just moved here to Bethel CT (job related) from the front range (CO--and don't scold, Pueblo CO on the front range is not that exciting, and it's still a good 3 hrs to any good stuff). The trail riding here, in my backyard is much better anyhow.

At any rate I cant wait to find out if Diablo is better than Keystone, and I would love to stay for the whole weekend, but despite my forum and internet searches I can't find a dang thing.

HELP anyone?

Thanks! Alicia

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I've stayed at the Appalachian Hotel and the Black Creek Sanctuary. Pretty nice but over priced. There's a days in thats pretty cheap and they let you take your bikes into the rooms. If you're ever looking for people to ride with /places to ride in CT let me know.

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
Hey I grew up in Bethel and now live a town over...there is some decent hike a bike downhill over by the Cannodale HQ's...PM me if you want to ride sometime or want more info

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
HI! I searched the forums for some answers to my questions and didn't find any...Specifically, where can a person camp or lodge for cheap near Diablo? I did look on the hotel sites and everything is full (expedia ect)....are there any secret places or campsites not on the internet that anyone can give me beta on?

I'm super psyched to pick up my season pass and for opening day and would like to stay the party and the night; Just moved here to Bethel CT (job related) from the front range (CO--and don't scold, Pueblo CO on the front range is not that exciting, and it's still a good 3 hrs to any good stuff). The trail riding here, in my backyard is much better anyhow.

At any rate I cant wait to find out if Diablo is better than Keystone, and I would love to stay for the whole weekend, but despite my forum and internet searches I can't find a dang thing.

HELP anyone?

Thanks! Alicia
Well... on the Diablo website:

Beaver Hill Campground
270 Big Spring Road, Hamburg NJ
973-827-0670

Pleasant Acres Farm
61 Dewitt Road, Sussex NJ 07461
973-875-4166

...there are those 2 spots to camp. :biggrin:

If you need any more info try sending an email to Diablo at:

info@diablofreeridepark.com (this isn't a direct link - you'll have to cut and paste it to your "Send" field in your email message)

If you are of legal age to drink the Vernon Inn is usually where most of the riders go to hang out after practice on Friday night - but beware of Cougars with mall-chick hair circa 1987and Manthers...

The place is lousy with em'.

:)

Hope that's enough "beta" for you - 'cause I've got a ton of it in my backyard... some people say it's the biggest pile of beta they've ever seen...
:biggrin:

DHAlicia

Chimp
Apr 27, 2008
Bethel, CT
I'm so blonde not seeing the campsites on the diablo website. Thanks for not ripping on me too hard for that :bonk:

I don't know if I'll ever make it for a friday night practice, but maybe after a saturday of practice, at least I'll know where the DH'ers go. I hope that being a 30 yr old DH Chick that I'm not old enough to be a Cougar myself.....

Well... on the Diablo website:

Beaver Hill Campground
270 Big Spring Road, Hamburg NJ
973-827-0670

Pleasant Acres Farm
61 Dewitt Road, Sussex NJ 07461
973-875-4166

...there are those 2 spots to camp. :biggrin:

If you need any more info try sending an email to Diablo at:

info@diablofreeridepark.com (this isn't a direct link - you'll have to cut and paste it to your "Send" field in your email message)

If you are of legal age to drink the Vernon Inn is usually where most of the riders go to hang out after practice on Friday night - but beware of Cougars with mall-chick hair circa 1987and Manthers...

The place is lousy with em'.

Hope that's enough "beta" for you - 'cause I've got a ton of it in my backyard... some people say it's the biggest pile of beta they've ever seen...
:biggrin:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Lol - hey that's OK - just teasin' a bit.

There's nothing wrong with being around 30. I think the definition of a Cougar is a divorcee' in her mid-40's looking for young men in their 20's to bed down with... so from what Froggy has said above - no worries.

DHAlicia

Chimp
Apr 27, 2008
Bethel, CT
Hey I grew up in Bethel and now live a town over...there is some decent hike a bike downhill over by the Cannodale HQ's...PM me if you want to ride sometime or want more info
Thanks!
I have been over to those trails on my trail bike, (my husband works over there) and dang you have to work hard going up to get down anything on those trails.

Have you been to Brewster NY? There is some sick stuff there that has been built, if you can find it--I found it too bad I'm too chicken to ride it, but there's a lot of intermediate stunts and lots of nice singletrack too there. Anyhow so far I've been to Terrywile, Huntington State park, Brewster, and yesterday took the trip to Stewart Airport open space in Maybrook NY (like an hour from Bethel) for some fast flowing fun. I'm all for learning about any and all single track in the area. Sometimes I really just like to ride my trail bike too, and I really enjoyed Stewart because it was fast and flowy with just enough technichal per the speed involved.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
You should try to get to Westwoods sometime. Good tech climbs with good decents mixed with flowy single track. It's in Guilford.

Sep 23, 2007
DHAlicia i met you the other day in brewster...

pm me when you and your hubby wanna bring your big bikes over there, I'll give you a full tour

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
Thanks!
I have been over to those trails on my trail bike, (my husband works over there) and dang you have to work hard going up to get down anything on those trails.

Have you been to Brewster NY? There is some sick stuff there that has been built, if you can find it--I found it too bad I'm too chicken to ride it, but there's a lot of intermediate stunts and lots of nice singletrack too there. Anyhow so far I've been to Terrywile, Huntington State park, Brewster, and yesterday took the trip to Stewart Airport open space in Maybrook NY (like an hour from Bethel) for some fast flowing fun. I'm all for learning about any and all single track in the area. Sometimes I really just like to ride my trail bike too, and I really enjoyed Stewart because it was fast and flowy with just enough technichal per the speed involved.
Never been to Brewster yet...I live in New Fairfield just over the line...I would love to get out there sometime....there are a couple of semi secret DH runs over by Cannondale...hike a bike though

Bad Ronald

Chimp
Jun 30, 2005
Danbury, CT
Brewster is good. Be careful in Carmel as there is a land dispute going on and you can get a hefty ticket if you are caught in an off limits area. The trails behind Cannondale are super tech and quite fun. There are trails at Tarrywile park in Danbury, trails at Bear Mountain park in New Fairfield, Trails at Putatuck state forest in New Fairfield, and the best of the best for CT riding can be found in Trumbull. They all offer good dh sections but you will usually suffer climbing to them or climbing out of them if you have a big hit bike. A good trail bike will do you wonders.

So what brought you to Bethel? The big C?

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
Thanks!

My aunt and Uncle live near stewart (5 minutes away) they are both avid riders and gave my wife and I a 17 mile tour of some of the single track there (yeah we're 30 something "old" riders too). I agree a sweet place to flow, you can just rip it in high gear for miles.
If you are ever looking for a guide at stewart let me know, My aunt and uncle just moved there last year and don't really have a ton of riding partners I am sure they would love to meet a couple that would be interested in riding, not just going 3 miles and packing up to go home.:cheers: