Quantcast

new to the scene

nicole z

Chimp
Oct 20, 2004
hellooo! i am a recent convert to the single speed mountain biking world(from the single speed beach cruiser world) and would appreciate any advice anyone has on single speed events in and around the tucson phoenix area. i competed(and i use the term competed very loosely. i mostly tried not to kill myself riding a 40lb cruiser with coaster brakes on a single track/moto cross course. good times!) in the single speed world championships in berlin, germany and am back home in az and would like to continue with biking. on a side note i am also trying to track down a charming fellow named jake and a lovely lady named janet, who also competed in sswc berlin04 and live in/around tucson. and if that wasnt enough, i have a surly bike frame and no idea how to build a proper single speed mountain bike, so any advice on that is also welcome. like i said, i m new. i am "grasshopper." :) thanks and hope to see you all out there.
nic

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Well right in your neighborhood in February there is a kickass 24 hour race, and the course seems to be liked by singlespeeders.

As far as building up your singlespeed, the only thing that's really different is the rear hub and chain. And actually you can use a normal cassette hub with spacers if ya want... After that it's all personal preference :)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
oh and i dont really know anything at all about single speed xc bikes so i cant help ya much there. but welcome anyway

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Welcome!
I love singlespeeds, but sadly I had to sell mine for a DH bike this season. Feel free to ask questions! What Surly frame do you have? They make kick ass SS stuff. Gear ratios are important for SS, look for something in the 32-36 tooth range for the front ring, and a 16-18 for the rear cog. If you have the chance, ride some singlespeeds to get a feel for the correct gearing that fits you. You may also want to use longer cranks, in the 170-175mm range, for a bit better leverage. This also depends on your height, or if you have long/short legs. Again, riding with different set-ups will help you best judge what you want. Look for a wider profile set of tires, in the 2.0-2.3 range. Are you looking for a rigid or suspension fork? A rigid singlespeed with fat tires can be loads of fun, with very little maintenence. The pedals, seat, and handlebar are a personal preference, and depend on how you position yourself over the bike, and your riding style. SS bikes are quite possibly the funnest thing on the face of the earth, and are super low maintenence, just grab it and go! Hope this helps, feel free to ask questions!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Doesn't Big Johnny over at Drunk Cyclist (dot) com run SS? And isn't he in AZ? His site might be a good source for news... and pr0n, methinks. Enter at yer own risk!

And oh yeah, welcome to der Fahraffe!