Quantcast

New to this

Zdrade

Chimp
Mar 1, 2006
Hello people, I used to race and dirt jump BMX when i was younger and now that I'm in college I've been looking for something to get into again thats not so structured like racing, and I thought to myself, hmm what about mountain biking. I never really though much about this downhill kind of stuff until I saw some videos and thought this is absoultly rad. So i was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips as to what kinda bike etc i should get starting out and stuff. thanks :)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
We'd probably need to know a little bit more about the kind of riding you plan on doing (any climbing? all DH? street? jumping?) and your price range before recommendations are given. Equipment changes a lot based on intended use and price.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The biggest issue is price. You're not going to get a good full suspension bike for much less that $900, FYI. You should shop around and see which brand has the best bike for the money you want to spend. Also, ride some bikes at your local shops and see what you like or don't like. Like JRogers said, we need to know what kind of riding (DH, trails, jumping, ect.) before anyone can make a recommendation.

mott7070

Chimp
Apr 20, 2005
Glendale, Ca
I totally agree with JRogers and Bicyclist about the questions they asked. Most of the downhillers I know get involved in the racing circuit but we still do alot of fun rides as well. What kind of riding are you doing now?

Mott

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
you can look around on here and find some bikes. i would reccomend a specialized big hit i because they have front gears , and are pretty light and havve a good spec and lifetime warranty. they can climb up the hill and bomb back down. but it depends on the riding.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That's funny. I was talking to a friend who was exactly in your predictament: raced bmx as a kid, now getting back into mtn biking. He tried XC, but didn't care for it.

Now he races DH/DS/4X and practices DJ as well.

thejames

Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
austin
you should buy a new bike this time, because since you will be learning how to ride dh, you WILL break stuff. warranties only apply to original owners and they may come in handy on your first big bike. don't expect every broken part to be warrantied, but sometimes on big stuff (i.e. frames, forks) it eases the pain if it does break.
my 2 cents

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I would say go with a Medium travel Allmountain/freerider to start with. Something six and six. That can start you on the right path and give you an all around bike. Light enough for XC and burly enough for DH. Lots of setups to go with here is a Pic of mine for ya to see

And the Chain guide

This setup gives me a Huge range of what i can do. New always is nice. But sometimes budget doesnt allow for it

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I agree with DirtyMike, a versatile 6+6 setup is the way to go if you can afford it.

Zdrade

Chimp
Mar 1, 2006
thanks for the responses fellas, I think ill probably want to get into alot of downhill stuff... perhaps some smaller jumps..nothing like REALLY crazy. and some XC too. So i guess i need something good overall.. but with a little extra beef to it?

RaID

Turbo Monkey
pretty much you should be looking at a beefier all mountain bike
Specialized SX Trail

look for bikes for about 6" front and rear travel with single crown fork
This will be enough for most DH trails and will be enough to take some abuse.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
You could start with a hardtail. A hardtail will force you to ride smooth and in control. Then when you get a full suspension you will fly (i've heard from many). There are hardtails that you can do anything on like mine. Hardtails are also generally cheaper and simpler as you don't have to worry about the rear suspension. This may be a good option for you as you have a bmx background.

Right now I only have a hardtail. It has a 5" fork, and I use it for everything.

If you really do want a full suspension, a 6" travel frame would be best for everything. (specialized sx trail, kona coiler, ventana x-5, orange 66,etc.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
What mtnbrider said. I have only a hardtail with a 5" singlecrown too. Of course, if you have the cash to spend . . .

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
If you seriously think you'll get into aggressive riding, I'd recommending buying yourself a full-face helmet and some armor that fits you well first. Then worry about buying the perfect bike or bikes for you... borrow some friends' bikes to see what you like and what you'll need. It'll be easier for your friends to loan you bikes here and there to try out, than to loan you armor (since they'll probably be wearing it.)