Quantcast

New TOP's have landed!

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
the new production run of TOP's has landed check em out.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/Blog.cfm

from the blog on the changes;

Here is a run down of the changes. 1) Integrated headset. This makes for a lower stack height, lighter headtube and nicer look in our opinion. 2) Spanish BB. We really like this standard. Nice size bearings that fit into the frame instead of using cups. These BB's are very strong and have proven themselves in the BMX world. 3) Integrated seat clamp. This just looks cleaner to us. 4) New Dropouts. Just freshened up the lines of the dropouts to flow with the line of the tubes better.

and a pic

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
awesome, the integrated HS is a cool update but the spanish BB is really something to get excited about. transition seems to be doing a great job of updating the ToP every year to keep up with the hottness. impressive..

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
it looks sick, and clean but it does look a little too slack for my tastes.

The BB height looks spot on.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I have ridden a friend's and I live the geo but it was too heavy for me. Felt like I was wearing a backpack full of bricks riding street compared to my STP.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
That depends on preference. Personally, I'd like to see a steeper HT, higher BB, and a little bit shorter stays... but, then it'd be exactly like my bike.
nice... I'll be in Yakima in a couple weeks and I'll try to snap some pics of the 08 simple frame, they're f-in dope

The TOP doesn't hit my pleasure button, but I'm trying to save some bucks to buy me a Covert... that bike looks sick for the purpose

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
and you can use BMX integrated headsets.... cheap $$ for colors.

I gotta see if my 07 ToP is cracked (watching the paint in a spot)...maybe the guys over there will hook me up...

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
the angle of the photo makes it look more slack. its got a 69.5 degree head angle. the geometry is dialed.
If I put a fork with approximately 60 MM travel on it I may be able to bring the head angle to around 71/72 degrees... maybe... But I wouldn't want to lower that BB any more. It looks tight where it is.

My personal preference is to get it to as close to BMX angles as possible. My eastern NT where it sits now is in the 73/74 degree head angle range with a lowered RST space. I'm definitely estimating those numbers, but its steeper than stock (which is 72 degrees on the night trains).

The TOP is definitely a move in the right direction - I just choose head angle over CS length because that affects me the most. I like how flick able a steep HA is.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
The new frame looks dope. I had been talking about not getting rid of the old p2, but that was before I found a frame that was affordable, and to my liking.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
That average "conversion" is around one degree per inch of travel lowered... 24.555555555555 ISH is one inch.. FYI.
Good to know!!! Damn good info here.

I lowered my RST by 27mm (thats what the spacer was) so that would put me a tad over 73 degrees on my head angle.

I actually thought about raising it up a bit by about 12 MM to bring my BB height back into spec.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
A grove hate to be the wrong police but is 25.4mm per inch. well that is exact enough for us. its really 1"=25.4000508001016mm

but you are right 1" difference will change the head angle by about 1*