Quantcast

New toys

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Anyone else have thoughts on the spring rate? I weigh about 170 and have a 400# on there. Rode today and it felt pretty good, maybe a little stiff. Think a 350 is worth a shot?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
About 165. It's got a 400# on there.
Anyone else have thoughts on the spring rate? I weigh about 170 and have a 400# on there. Rode today and it felt pretty good, maybe a little stiff. Think a 350 is worth a shot?
You gained 5lbs already? Try a deuce and a lighter spring. Or just wait a few more days and the 400 will be fine.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I was on a sunday with a 400lb spring. The 350 was too soft. I weight 200. I'd give 350 a shot. I think I have one if you have a fox shock.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I weigh 190lbs. I dropped down to 180lbs last fall. I had ran a 350lb spring until then and tried a 400lb spring. It kept me from banging the pedals and kep the travel in a better spot for my riding.

I know DW recommends 350 for your weight, but I gotta be blunt w/ Dave on this one. He's not a bullish style rider and I can bury a set of cranks on multiple hits with a 350 on it. ;)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'll never use it because I just keep getting fatter, and my latest current bike needs a shorter stroke shock (and a heavier spring, 450).

Hey did you ever try out the shock thrust bearing?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'll never use it because I just keep getting fatter, and my latest current bike needs a shorter stroke shock (and a heavier spring, 450).

Hey did you ever try out the shock thrust bearing?
I'll give you tree fiddy.

I did, ages ago, when I had the bottle rocket. I had issues with it shifting and making the spring rub, and gave up.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i'm open to suggestions, but 1900 for a world class DH frame with an RC4 isn't that horrible. I'd rather have the 1700$ version, but I don't want to wait 5 weeks leadtime. There are a few used frames I'd consider, but it's a short list as I don't want to deal with more cracks...maybe a zerode and your buddies brooklyn is still in the back of my mind.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
While I do love the DHR, the most stout frame I ever powder coated was one of these:

Soooo buff. If anyone could crack this, I would be amazed.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
i'm open to suggestions, but 1900 for a world class DH frame with an RC4 isn't that horrible. I'd rather have the 1700$ version, but I don't want to wait 5 weeks leadtime. There are a few used frames I'd consider, but it's a short list as I don't want to deal with more cracks...maybe a zerode and your buddies brooklyn is still in the back of my mind.
If I was in your position, I would go with the DHR. It being a solid bike aside, by buying a new bike from them, if you have an issue in the future, I know you would taken care of promptly. And that is speaking from personal experience. Still, the only company I have ever seen that sent replacements parts to our entire team BEFORE we ever broke anything.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
If I was in your position, I would go with the DHR. It being a solid bike aside, by buying a new bike from them, if you have an issue in the future, I know you would taken care of promptly. And that is speaking from personal experience. Still, the only company I have ever seen that sent replacements parts to our entire team BEFORE we ever broke anything.
Pretty useless for a Yeti though. Doy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Bingo. Take it from Barney. New is always better. Looks like a large will be impossible to get right now, but maybe in a bit. Hmmm...black or green ano?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
If someone is dissatisfied with a Turner DHR's ride, they are not gonna be happy on anything really. $1700 is just absolutely INSANE for US hand crafted bike with the kind of insane technical support that they offer.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Because people hop on trends and marketing hype from other companies is flooding the market in the big bike industry. Turner does not have the budget to fund a World Cup team and that really hurts top of the line DH rig sales. It's the KX450 of the DH world, but with no factory team hitting the pro circuit.

If Kawasaki was a boutique style brand with no Supercross or Motocross pro team, people would buy what the pros are "winning" on, even if the KX450 was just as good.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If someone is dissatisfied with a Turner DHR's ride, they are not gonna be happy on anything really. $1700 is just absolutely INSANE for US hand crafted bike with the kind of insane technical support that they offer.
If you've ever seen one raw, it's even better. It is such a well put together frame that is sexy, too.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That is what I was thinking. None the less great price.
I imagine it's also tough...when everybody is licensing DW designs, is anybody special anymore? Your frame really has to stand out to compete. And with DW-licensed designs on or near the podium via Pivot, Devinci, and Evil, I can see it being difficult to compete at a super premium price point.

Still, the DHR is a pretty phenomenally designed frame. Kind of a shame about the shock mounting though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Hey pork slap, how's it riding? Just found a crack in my current frame and in my panic i'm considering a discounted DHR...
Awesome. Spent last weekend at Whistler. Spent most of my time on Schleyer/Detroit Rock City/Canadian Open/Joyride. I've never ridden anything else that feels as fast in rough stuff. It just GOES.

Happy to answer specific questions if you've got anything.